Wiki Posts
Search

Visa-free travel to Russia during CC 2017 and WC 2018

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2017, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Visa-free travel to Russia during CC 2017 and WC 2018

In summary those who buy tickets to Confederations Cup 2017 or World Cup 2018 football games can enter Russia visa free within the window of tournaments (plus minus 10 days). CC is this june, WC is next summer.

CC tix are pretty cheap so it appears to be a great alternative to spending hundreds on visa and with minimal paperwork..

There is an excellent thread on tripadvisor kindly updated by a knowledgeable poster:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...al_Russia.html

Timatic already has this:

Russian Federation - Destination Visa

Visa required.

The following are exempt from holding a visa:

Passengers with a laminated FIFA FAN ID card traveling to the FIFA Confederations Cup 2017.

Passengers with a printed FIFA FAN ID electronic format card traveling to the FIFA Confederations Cup 2017.

Last edited by azepine00; Apr 19, 2017 at 8:43 pm
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: SU Gold, A3 Gold
While this seems a nice loophole, I would object to someone other than football fans using it. Simply because it would mean football tickets being taken by people not interested in football matches, and thus denying real fans an opportunity to see games.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott LTG, IHG Platinum
It will bring new fans to watch the beautiful game of Football. I once went to a Ice Hockey with my friend knowing nothing but understood how fast the game is and how tough it is played. My view on that game changed.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eurocity
While this seems a nice loophole, I would object to someone other than football fans using it. Simply because it would mean football tickets being taken by people not interested in football matches, and thus denying real fans an opportunity to see games.

Somehow i seriously doubt that there will be 50000+ hardcore fans in St Peter interested in buying Cameroon-Australia confederations cup game tickets...

Early rounds games at major events always end up with plenty of seats empty...
Old May 13, 2017, 3:36 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Miles & More, Aadvantage
Yeah, they don't really care will people show up to the games or not. All they want is to sell the tickets.

It's a nice way to travel to Russia without a hassle of getting a visa. But on the other hand, accommodation is more expensive at the time of these events.
Old May 15, 2017, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

FAN ID arrived here in US by registered mail 3 weeks after initial request. Ticket to the game was about $50 ish - may even stop by to watch it depending on who advances...

Not having to go through the misery of visa forms, invitations, mailing passport etc etc (while saving $200-300 in agency and visa fees) is absolutely incredible...
Old May 27, 2017, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by azepine00
FAN ID arrived here in US by registered mail 3 weeks after initial request. Ticket to the game was about $50 ish - may even stop by to watch it depending on who advances...

Not having to go through the misery of visa forms, invitations, mailing passport etc etc (while saving $200-300 in agency and visa fees) is absolutely incredible...
Yeah, it's awesome! Did you receive your game ticket as well by mail or you are going to pick it up in person in Russia?
Old May 30, 2017, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by daniiltimin
Yeah, it's awesome! Did you receive your game ticket as well by mail or you are going to pick it up in person in Russia?
in russia - i dont think ticket by mail was an option when i purchased it unless i missed it somehow...
Old May 30, 2017, 3:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
in russia - i dont think ticket by mail was an option when i purchased it unless i missed it somehow...
I wonder whether there could be a problem if you don't pick up the ticket in Russia.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I wonder whether there could be a problem if you don't pick up the ticket in Russia.
What do you mean? If you don't pick up your ticket then you won't go to the game.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 6:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Do we know the validity of this visa and whether you are allowed to travel around?
Old Jul 11, 2017, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oneworld82
Do we know the validity of this visa and whether you are allowed to travel around?
you can do anything you want - visa free window opened 10 day before and lasted through 10 days after the tourney. I assume it will be same for WC2018.

We just got back - it was a smooth process all around. If WC tix are reasonably priced and we can secure air/hotel we may try again next year.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 10:29 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
you can do anything you want - visa free window opened 10 day before and lasted through 10 days after the tourney. I assume it will be same for WC2018.

We just got back - it was a smooth process all around. If WC tix are reasonably priced and we can secure air/hotel we may try again next year.
Same here!
Old Dec 13, 2017, 6:16 pm

So here's my question. I have WC2018 tickets and plan to visit Moscow and St. Petersburg in July. I then plan to fly to Beijing. I'm thinking - can I leverage the visa-free travel to visit Vladivostok and Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk from Beijing, as long as I leave the country prior to 25 July?
Old Dec 21, 2017, 11:16 am

I wonder if this will work if you want to travel to the mountains in Ingushetia or if the visa process will still be unnecessarily prohibitive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.