Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Russia
Reload this Page >

Visa-free travel to Russia during CC 2017 and WC 2018

Visa-free travel to Russia during CC 2017 and WC 2018

Old Jul 18, 18, 4:15 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Then let's wait and watch. Sure hope it passes. Would be great if they could finally lift visa restrictions altogether, although that is probably hoping for too much!
Old Aug 1, 18, 7:12 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Is there any way to still get a FAN ID to travel visa free later this month?
Old Aug 1, 18, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by damaxer91 View Post
Is there any way to still get a FAN ID to travel visa free later this month?
I would doubt that, since the procedure was to provide World Cup game ticket numbers as part of the Fan ID issuance process.
Old Aug 1, 18, 2:29 pm

Sure hope I can find my Fan ID when I get back to base. Pretty sure I didn’t chuck it, wouldn’t do that with such a thing. But it might take a bit of digging to retrieve it from wherever I hid it. Wonder if they’d be able to reissue it if I can’t find it.
Old Aug 4, 18, 3:44 pm

So it seems that those who have got a Fan ID will get visa free entry to Russia from 3rd August until 31st December this year. I will certainly be using mine (once I've dug it out of wherever I've hid it).
Old Aug 4, 18, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
So it seems that those who have got a Fan ID will get visa free entry to Russia from 3rd August until 31st December this year. I will certainly be using mine (once I've dug it out of wherever I've hid it).
can't find any info but i assume this is only for fanid from WC2018, conf cup one from last year is not eligible...
Old Aug 5, 18, 8:45 am

Programs: RJ Emerald
Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
You are right! The amendment to the law was made on the 3rd of August. Here is the official link (in Russian):
??????????? ????????????? ???????? ????? ? ??????????? ????

I wonder how will airlines look at this. Timatic does not say anything about the FAN IDs
Old Aug 5, 18, 8:49 am

Programs: RJ Emerald
Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post
can't find any info but i assume this is only for fanid from WC2018, conf cup one from last year is not eligible...
The law only mentions the WC2018.
Old Aug 6, 18, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi View Post
You are right! The amendment to the law was made on the 3rd of August. Here is the official link (in Russian):
??????????? ????????????? ???????? ????? ? ??????????? ????

I wonder how will airlines look at this. Timatic does not say anything about the FAN IDs
It might be worth trying to find something official as a back up. I donít reckon there will be masses of people doing this, so it might be a bit marginal. I will be contacting the airlines beforehand, in my case SWISS at Geneva (booked GVA-DME). What I would consider important and strategic would be to enter Russia at a major point of entry (LED, SVO or DME), not some offbeat place where immigration might not be so clued up.
Old Aug 8, 18, 9:07 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, BAEC Blue
The Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs now acknowledges the change on their site: Visa-free entrance for FAN ID holders till the end of 2018 - FAN ID - The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation

Note that according to this, the law comes into effect on 14 August.
Old Sep 10, 18, 3:40 pm

Have any of you tried entering Russia with your Fan ID from the World Cup this summer? I did it last Wednesday (5th September) and immigration was a slightly nerve wracking experience. I was taken to a separate small room and made to wait, along with a couple of others, for what turned out to be 1 hour. In the meantime, I was photographed multiple times, and documents were examined and re-examined. Just that day in the news there was an announcement about the novichok, or whatever, poisoning in England so maybe that affected things. I sure hope they weren't copying my passport, like in the good old cold war days. Everyone was civil, and I eventually made it into Russia. I suspect border agents have been ordered to make extra checks, following the recent political rubbish and mud slinging.

Exiting Russia on Sunday was similar, except the whole thing was over in about 15-20 minutes. Off I went to the gate with somebody else's boarding pass. Luckily I noticed pretty quickly (there was a baggage tag, and I hadn't checked any baggage), went back to immigration and made sure the right person got the right boarding pass. Immigration was perfectly pleasant, and vaguely apologetic, it was obviously a genuine mistake.

If you're going in and out on a Fan ID, allow plenty of time, especially if connecting or departing. I reckon that 99% of the time, the Russians will try to sort you out and see you on your way.
Old Sep 22, 18, 3:37 pm

Programs: SU GOLD, BA GOLD , SQ PPS. RIP: UA 1999-2015 EY Partners 2006-2017, LH SEN 2006-2018
I personally know a few people who bought tickets to the FIFA would cup but did not attend matches, for the sole reason of going to Russia minus the red tape etc. From what I understand, the FIFA ID can easily be forged, and the delay was no doubt to verify authenticity. I am a holder of multiple visas over the years, my visa is always closely examined by the loupe, even though with computers etc, I can't imagine how one would enter with a forged one.

Personally I think the is VP attempt / try out to see what its like to open Russia's borders, clearly the guards are not used to it.

Word of caution : one needs a visa to enter and exit the Russian Federation. So you better have your FIFA ID ready, and contingency plan if you lose it.
Old Sep 25, 18, 2:12 pm

But I presume the Fan ID is good for a second, even third, visit, because I am planning another one at the end of October. It’s good to have your thoughts about the possible reasons for the lengthy immigration checks. These things never occurred to me, so I can understand them verifying everything in this case.
Old Oct 16, 18, 5:16 pm

I've got another visit to Russia coming up at the end of this month, using the Fan ID. I will let you know how it all works out. Hopefully not too sticky, but I managed to time my arrival to be at a reasonable time of day, not in the middle of the night (it's surprising how many flights arrive in the dead of the night).
Old Oct 22, 18, 8:33 am

Is there really no feedback about this? I am hoping that there have been no changes to the validity of using the Fan ID to enter Russia and that it remains valid until 31st December. I have my next trip beginning next Tuesday and I will arrive at the convenient time of 15h20 at SVO. So hopefully staff at Milan Malpensa will recognize the Fan ID and hopefully immigration won’t be too much of an ordeal. If you don’t read any feedback here by the end of October, you’ll all know I’ve been sent to the gulag!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: