FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Russia (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/russia-485/)
-   -   RZD English language iPhone app (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/russia/1830445-rzd-english-language-iphone-app.html)

Swanhunter Mar 19, 2017 11:38 am

RZD English language iPhone app

Err, wow. No idea this existed until today. The English version of the main website has been cranky for some weeks, and searching for help I stumbled across a reference to the app. It's ace!

* really clear interface with cute graphics
* good seat maps that even show window locations, power points and the direction of travel for Strizh trains
* remembers your personal details (useful as it does require your name in Cyrillic)
* Apple Pay and Wallet integration if you have a Visa/MC set up
* no confusing Russian error messages

Easy to set a Cyrillic keyboard on an iPhone, and use the visa translation of your name. Set the identify document to foreign passport and you are done.

Genuinely impressed. 👏

Palal Mar 19, 2017 11:44 am

Who's the app author? I see a bunch of RZD apps that aren't made by RZD... I'd be vary of trusting them with my info.

Swanhunter Mar 19, 2017 11:47 am

Good point. It's OOO UFS who I believe are the RZD captive ticketing agency. It's called Rail Russia and is the only English language option if you put that into the App Store.

mandolino Mar 21, 2017 1:51 pm

Doesn't seem to have an Android version.

My secretary has been trying to book for employees via the RZD website today without success. Always worked fine before.

I'm glad to hear it's not just us.

Palal Mar 21, 2017 10:24 pm

I've used tutu.ru before, worked fine when rzd did not. I'm wary of trying non-official apps, though it sounds like you checked to make sure that that iPhone app is legit.

RabbitIYH Mar 27, 2017 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter (Post 28056824)
The English version of the main website has been cranky for some weeks

A few weeks is a bit generous I must say :D

Originally Posted by Palal (Post 28069643)
I've used tutu.ru before, worked fine when rzd did not.

That's what I normally use as well, the English version is very decent and even the Russian website is easy enough to navigate with just a basic understanding of Russian and the cyrillic alphabet.

Alternatively, my flatmate has recently started using One Two Trip and he keeps on raving about it. Has anybody tried this yet?

Swanhunter Apr 30, 2017 1:14 am

Just to report that my first trip using tickets booked on the app worked just fine. It felt very 21st Century to wave a Passbook ticket at the prodvodnista.

Side note - Strizh trains really aren't designed for Russian track. Rough ride...

daniiltimin May 14, 2017 3:02 pm

Did anyone recently try to pay at rzd website with the American credit card? It didn't work for me a few years ago, I am wondering if anything changed.