Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Russia
Reload this Page >

Golden ring, car rent, taxi or train/bus?

Old Jun 11, 16, 3:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying blue

Ia am planning a trip to Russia in August and after visiting the two capitalis I am going to spend a week in the Golden ring. Which type of transport would you reccomend, rent a car, taxi or bus/train? As I am planning to come to Yaroslavl first ( by train from sankt Pete ) I thought to rent a car there , travel around and return it one week later at Moscow SVO airport. However I couldn find any agencies offering rentals in Yaroslavl. So would yo suggest start and end the trip in Mow with car rental, or travel by local transport? Is it easy to find seats from one day to another or maybe there is a car rental agency in Yaroslavl after all?
Old Jun 12, 16, 2:44 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Miles & More, Aadvantage
It will be much less hassle just to take a trains/buses instead of driving yourself. Believe me, you not going to be a fan of driving in Russia .

You'll have no problem with finding seats, you won't even need to buy tickets ahead of time you can buy them as you go from place to place.
Old Jun 15, 16, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying blue
Thx daniiltimin. Not many answers here, but you helped me anyway.
Looking forward for this trip. But how bad can it be to drive on provincial roads from one small city to another? Driving in Moscow would be another thing, but I wouldnt be happy to drive in any other big city even in Germany or Scandinavia but are the country roads or driving habits in Russia really that bad?
Old Jun 16, 16, 2:07 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Airhaiku View Post
are the country roads or driving habits in Russia really that bad?
The driving habits are really bad. The roads vary from very bad to mediocre
Old Jun 18, 16, 2:39 am

Programs: LH SEN, BAEC Bronze, S7 Приоритет, TrueBlue
Originally Posted by Airhaiku View Post
But how bad can it be to drive on provincial roads from one small city to another? are the country roads or driving habits in Russia really that bad?
I've done quite a bit of driving using rental cars in provincial Siberia and generally found it a rewarding experience, you can see and experience so much more than if going by bus/train. One just needs to be bit more aware of ones surroundings (other drivers, traffic signs, traffic police) and road conditions, but if you are comfortable with that, value independence, and speak some Russian (helpful for dealing with rental car people and traffic police) then I think that's the best way to go.

Search this Thread