Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Russia
Reload this Page >

Russian Visa and US green card

Old Dec 15, 15, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

I was just wondering if perhaps anyone knows anything of a big, annoying issue I'm having? Problem is I am applying for a Russian visa from the US (I'm a UK citizen), and they require me to have a valid green card, however it is expired. The USCIS and various immigration attorneys have told me that I am still a permanent resident of the US, just the card is expired.

Is there any way that anyone could tell me of pleading with, or perhaps working out a deal with the Russian Visa Agency (ILS) so they could accept my expired green card as proof of my residency, or perhaps any other documents I could provide? As you can imagine, paying 450$ and waiting months for my green card to be renewed isn't exactly efficient, seeing as my goal is to leave the country.

Any help or advice would be well appreciated. Thanks

(I think it's also worth noting that everything else, including a Private Visa invitation, has worked out just fine, just this one, frankly stupid, setback)
Old Dec 15, 15, 9:58 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk, Mr.Right90s.
The most appropriate forum for your query is the FT Russia Forum.
Please follow there.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Dec 16, 15, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
If your permanent residency card is expired for all Russia knows you might not still be a permanent resident. You could have abandoned your residency. Hw would Russia know? If you have no proof of permanent residency you'll have to apply for a visa in your home country, the UK in this case. In addition, if you are a permanent resident you'll almost certainly need to present an unexpired permanent residency card when entering the US. So, regardless of whether or not you plan on going to Russia (or anywhere else) you really should renew your card.
Old Dec 16, 15, 2:14 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Can you (practically) apply from the UK?
Old Dec 16, 15, 4:27 am
Original Poster

I cannot apply in the UK to my knowledge, it would require me to show up in person, which I cannot do, or at least not easily.

I understand the issue with permanent residency, but to my knowledge it is to ensure they do not send me back to Russia at the US border/airport. Problem with that is I have no desire to return to the US, which is why I do not understand the issue with this at all. It's such a small issue it seems, especially when the fact I have an active social security number in America is also a perfectly good sign I'm a valid resident, if not even the fact I served in the military here being an almost definite sign I'm a legal resident.
Old Dec 16, 15, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mr.Right90s View Post
I cannot apply in the UK to my knowledge, it would require me to show up in person, which I cannot do, or at least not easily.

I understand the issue with permanent residency, but to my knowledge it is to ensure they do not send me back to Russia at the US border/airport. Problem with that is I have no desire to return to the US, which is why I do not understand the issue with this at all. It's such a small issue it seems, especially when the fact I have an active social security number in America is also a perfectly good sign I'm a valid resident, if not even the fact I served in the military here being an almost definite sign I'm a legal resident.
Applying for a Russian visa in the UK does require a personal appearance. Based on that and the above if I were you I would not be planning to go to Russia or to either leave or enter the US any time soon.

Russia demands you show proof of residency in the US if you apply in the US because it wants to enforce its own visa rules and (like many nations) prevent people from applying at any embassy they choose. They also want to collect the appropriate fees. If, for example, a dual US/EU citizen were to apply in the US using an EU passport the visa fee is considerably lower. Proof of legal residency for such a person is their US passport and the use of a US passport cmes with a higher fee. China works the same way. So do many countries.

If I were you I'd be renewing my residency post haste. In order to obtain a Russian visa from the consulate/embassy in the US with a UK passport you will need to provide the Russians proof that you are a lawful permanent resident (LPR) of the US. You can do that with a foreign passport and a permanent residency card. You may be able to do that with a LPR card and proof that you are in the process of renewing it in the form of an I-797.

Furthermore, if you are a US LPR, you will likely want to return to the US at some point after your trip to Russia. In order to enter the US you need to have your LPR card with you at the port of entry or to apply for a replacement at the port of entry if it has expired while you are out of the US.

Finally, most airlines will refuse to transport LPRs to the US if they don't have their card with them or if their card has expired. With a UK passport you are likely not going to have a problem returning to the US without a valid card, but you are then going to have to have ESTA authorisation. I have no idea what doing that does (if anything) to one's LPR status.
Old Dec 17, 15, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
hey also want to collect the appropriate fees. If, for example, a dual US/EU citizen were to apply in the US using an EU passport the visa fee is considerably lower. Proof of legal residency for such a person is their US passport and the use of a US passport cmes with a higher fee. China works the same way. So do many countries.
FWIW, I contacted the visa center in Poland and inquired about the possibility of getting a Russian visa into a US passport while being a dual citizen and doing so in Poland. They said no problem, and my Polish passport can be proof o my status there. The appropriate fee comes with a different visa, so as a EU citizen you get a single entry 30 day visa, as US citizen it's a multiple entry 3 year with a 6 month stay max. So who knows, maybe they would still let you get a visa into a EU passport as a dual citizen here in the US?
Old Dec 17, 15, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Barciur View Post
FWIW, I contacted the visa center in Poland and inquired about the possibility of getting a Russian visa into a US passport while being a dual citizen and doing so in Poland. They said no problem, and my Polish passport can be proof o my status there. The appropriate fee comes with a different visa, so as a EU citizen you get a single entry 30 day visa, as US citizen it's a multiple entry 3 year with a 6 month stay max. So who knows, maybe they would still let you get a visa into a EU passport as a dual citizen here in the US?
The problem is that withut a valid LPR card the OP has no proof of legal status in the US. The actual on-line Russian visa application form does not ask about this. I guess the agency handling applications does...

Search this Thread