Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Russia
Reload this Page >

Is photography permitted (or forbidden) in Moscow's major attractions?

Old Sep 1, 2015, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic

Please advise if you know....thanks

RRZ
Old Sep 1, 2015, 1:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond AMB
Yes, but not everywhere: e.g. it is strictly forbidden in the Mausoleum. Also sometimes it depends on the equipment used: in the past you could not use a tripod on the Red Square without special permission, not sure if this is still in effect today.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 1:35 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Photography seemed to be allowed unless it was specifically prohibited.

Selfie sticks (I am happy to report) are a huge issue in Russia and the Russian government is warning people of the dangers of selfies (I kid you not and I concur with the warnings).

See Why Selfie Sticks Are Unwelcome at More Tourist Sites This Summer
".... More ominously, Russia has launched a public awareness campaign to call attention to the dangers that daredevils taking selfies face. For unknown reasons, people seem to lose whatever common sense they have when the selfie siren calls to them in that country. Russian police report that at least ten people have died in 2015 taking selfies, with hundreds more injured. Earlier this year, two men in the Ural mountains took a selfie of themselves holding a hand grenade they had pulled the pin out of. The selfie was the only thing that survived the explosion. In June, a Russian woman fell off a bridge while trying to take a selfie, and train tracks are apparently popular for selfies in Russia as a Safe Selfie pamphlet issued by the government warns the budding photographer, A selfie on the railway tracks is a bad idea if you value your life....

<SNIP>
Old Sep 1, 2015, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
Thankfully I am not interested in "selfies". I smirk at those that are.....probably dangerous in it's own right, but I digress.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 8:25 am

Programs: BA Bronze,Accor.Flightdiary.net/liamvad
Yes,photography is allowed,even with a tripod!! me and my cousin went in March this year took LOADS of pics without any trouble at all.....flew Easyjet for 60:00 return!!!!.....^
Old Sep 3, 2015, 9:07 am

In the larger areas pictures are no problem.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 8:32 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
As long as I get an awkward picture of Putin doing something shirtless I'm good.

When is the most dead time to go to Red Square? Time/day of the week? I'll be there all week and wanna see it during the day at some point, but maybe for pics late at night on a Sunday or something?
Old Dec 5, 2015, 5:25 pm

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
LOL If you only knew how much the Russians are into instagram etc.
There's a grandmother selling a selfie stick on the red square in case you need one
Old Dec 9, 2015, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

as i recall, 3 or 4 of the smaller rooms at hermitage do not allow photos(if there is a monitor present). my wife shot about 4 hrs of video over two days.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 8:06 am

Programs: Delta
Photos/videos are not allowed in the Amory in the Kremlin. I was in there today, and they told me "nelzya".

Some places photos are permitted if you pay extra. I was in Moscow in 2011, and two places where this was the case was the Space Museum by VDNKh metro station, and the Red Army Museum by Dostoyevskaya metro station.

I had no issues shooting video or photos in the State Historical Museum, Patriotic War of 1812 Museum, St. Basil's Cathedral, Great Patriotic War Museum, Ostankino Tower, Retro Cars Museum, Pushkin Museum.

In St. Petersburg, the only place where photos/videos are nelzya (to which I've visited) was Peterhof.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 4:50 am

I took plenty of photos and videos while walking around the Red Square. Others were doing the same.

For example, Red Square at night.

Another one of the Red Square, night and also in the day.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 7:15 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

I was snapping photos left and right in the Moscow metro, i.e. of infrastructure, and no one ever cared.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 8:30 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond AMB
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
I was snapping photos left and right in the Moscow metro, i.e. of infrastructure, and no one ever cared.
It was prohibited for many years, but I think it's allowed now
Old Jan 19, 2016, 2:57 am

Programs: BA Bronze,Accor.Flightdiary.net/liamvad
Just take your pictures,no-one will worry.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.