Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Russia
Reload this Page >

Have prices changed due to the Ruble drop?

Old Aug 22, 15, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air Krapistan Poop Points "Scooper Level"

I am wondering at how fast prices change after a substantial currency drop? I am thinking of going to St. Petersburg in December and would like to know how fast local merchants are to raise prices. I am assuming that now would be a great time to lock in a hotel as prices seem to be low.

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 22, 15, 3:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, IHG Plat Amb
It depends. Food in the restaurants? For most offerings not much of an increase during the last 12 months (in rubles, so a major drop in $/EUR). Hotels? Again, for most hotels the $/EUR prices are way lower. Soveniurs and other tourist-oriented goods? Probably not.
Old Aug 24, 15, 12:52 pm

The last time the Ruble hit this low (January / February 2015) it took a few months for the local merchants (non-tourist stuff) to bump prices up.

I wouldn't be afraid to "lock-in" a hotel now but it is hard to say what may change from now to December.
Old Aug 27, 15, 12:47 pm
pjs

Just booked a hotel in central Moscow (Courtyard) that's walking distance to Red Square for next summer (pre-paid rate) for 4850 rubles/night - $73/night at today's exchange rates.
Old Aug 31, 15, 4:47 am

Programs: DL DM (MM), SPG/Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, LH Never Ever Again!
I was at the Sheraton two nights ago at SVO for $49 including breakfast (and a free upgrade at check in to a Junior Suite). It pains me that my Russian friends are going through the angst they are financially but tickets and hotel rooms are coming back at shockingly pleasant prices.
Old Sep 2, 15, 11:38 am

Programs: UA- Pl (2MM), AA-Go, Delta-Silver, Hyatt-Globalist!, MR/SPG comb - Plat, Hilton - nada
along the same lines - how is currency exchange at SVO?
Can you get a decent rate for USD? Or better to utilize ATMs?
Old Sep 2, 15, 11:53 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks

Programs: Metro-North Rubbish, Keisei Skinflint, KCR Headphones, Kopaja Platinum
Originally Posted by pjs View Post
Just booked a hotel in central Moscow (Courtyard) that's walking distance to Red Square for next summer (pre-paid rate) for 4850 rubles/night - $73/night at today's exchange rates.
I booked a pre-paid room as well, but the charge hasn't yet shown up on my statement. The reservation is for a couple of weeks from now, but the rate that I booked at was still better than today's rate.
Old Sep 2, 15, 4:40 pm

Programs: SU GOLD, BA GOLD , SQ PPS. RIP: UA 1999-2015 EY Partners 2006-2017, LH SEN 2006-2018
It depends what you are after. Museum tickets are roughly the same however, hotel prices at some of the 5 star hotels have increased accordingly. The Four Seasons in Moscow and St. Petersburg, is still 350 dollars a night or more.
Some bargains can be hard in the lower category hotels.

Imported items match international prices, naturally.

Food at restaurants cost more. Inflation is at a near 12%. However places frequently by locals are roughly the same, perhaps a little higher.

On a whole, the "screw you" prices of 2005-6 are a distant memory and more in line with reality. I would say your money will go further.

Search this Thread