FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Russia (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/russia-485/)
-   -   Agency in Russia who provides assistance for Belarus Visa? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/russia/1697379-agency-russia-who-provides-assistance-belarus-visa.html)

TravelinSperry Jul 24, 2015 10:31 am

Agency in Russia who provides assistance for Belarus Visa?

Hello all,

I've been having an interesting time trying to find an agency in St Petersburg or Moscow that can assist me in getting a Visa to Belarus. I found some who walk me through the steps required (which are many!) to obtain said tourist Visa (not transit). But they don't act on my behalf as agencies in the USA do (i.e, go to the Embassy for me).

Also, they tell me I must purchase airfare to/from, medical insurance and have an original copy of my hotel booking form (from the hotel as an invite). All of these cost money that I have to pay in advance (especially a courier fee for the original invite/hotel booking) and I'm hesitant to incur all these costs before finding out if my Visa is approved.

Does anyone have experience here? Anyone know an agency that can assist?

Thanks!

Temedar Jul 24, 2015 1:14 pm

Maybe a Belarus-based agency will be more helpful?

Maverick.au Aug 9, 2015 9:38 am

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry (Post 25166792)
Hello all,

I've been having an interesting time trying to find an agency in St Petersburg or Moscow that can assist me in getting a Visa to Belarus. I found some who walk me through the steps required (which are many!) to obtain said tourist Visa (not transit). But they don't act on my behalf as agencies in the USA do (i.e, go to the Embassy for me).

The application is pretty straightforward.

Also, they tell me I must purchase airfare to/from, medical insurance and have an original copy of my hotel booking form (from the hotel as an invite). All of these cost money that I have to pay in advance (especially a courier fee for the original invite/hotel booking) and I'm hesitant to incur all these costs before finding out if my Visa is approved.
All you need to do is make a booking at a hotel (doesn't need to be paid for), ask them for a booking confirmation letter for a Visa application and attach this to your Visa application. Some charge for the letter whereas others do not, we booked and asked for a booking confirmation and received it an hour to so latter by email. There is no need to have an original except in certain circumstances but print the emailed one via a colour laser printer.

Does anyone have experience here? Anyone know an agency that can assist?

Thanks!
Apply for an additional day either side of the booked accommodation to cover any transit delays, show your rough itinerary on the application, your purpose for entry and so forth. We received our Visas in around a week (Australia) and arrive there in five weeks.

TravelinSperry Aug 9, 2015 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by Maverick.au (Post 25243628)
The application is pretty straightforward.

All you need to do is make a booking at a hotel (doesn't need to be paid for), ask them for a booking confirmation letter for a Visa application and attach this to your Visa application. Some charge for the letter whereas others do not, we booked and asked for a booking confirmation and received it an hour to so latter by email. There is no need to have an original except in certain circumstances but print the emailed one via a colour laser printer.

Apply for an additional day either side of the booked accommodation to cover any transit delays, show your rough itinerary on the application, your purpose for entry and so forth. We received our Visas in around a week (Australia) and arrive there in five weeks.

Welcome to FT! And thanks. Yes, I eventually did it all myself in the consulate in St Petersburg. It was straightforward but I can offer advice in addition to what you say. It took 2 days and cost 120 Euro (I paid for rush service because I was only in St Pete for a few days). Note to others going to St Pete, the consulate is closed on Wednesday. I submitted on Tue and got back on Thurs. If you do it alternate days you'd get back next day for that price.

First, I did what you did and made a hotel booking. But they only gave me the Visa for the exact number of days of the booking (5 days). Not any days before or after. It turns out I would've liked to have gone a bit earlier - but can't - they don't give a 30 day visa as a general rule unless you ask. In the future I would make a longer (refundable) hotel booking so I could get more days and the hotel receipt. And yes, the hotel emailed over the required form asap. After getting the visa, I'd modify my booking to match the number of days I actually wanted. And btw, no inbound or onward ticket was required to be shown at application. I just had to state I was flying in and out and the names of the airlines.

The other thing that is required was health insurance. The embassy would not process my application without it and said I couldn't wait to buy at the airport in Minsk like others mentioned via my google search. I bought it online (cost $15) but you must make sure the policy specifically reads "belarus" or "worldwide" on it. My policy didn't mention either - although luckily the confirmation email mentioned Belarus so she accepted it. I used a company called RoamRight because they were the cheapest I could find (I don't need health insurance since my home US based health insurance covers medical emergencies). But they won't accept my US card (since it doesn't say Belarus or Worldwide on it, so this was redundant for me and I just wanted the cheapest insurance regardless of whether the company is good or not (I have no experience with RoamRight and really don't care since I'll never make a claim).

Anyway, just wanted to update in case others search for Visa to Belarus and how it all worked for me.

pdquick Aug 12, 2015 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry (Post 25244523)
I bought it online (cost $15) but you must make sure the policy specifically reads "belarus" or "worldwide" on it. My policy didn't mention either - although luckily the confirmation email mentioned Belarus so she accepted it. I used a company called RoamRight because they were the cheapest I could find (I don't need health insurance since my home US based health insurance covers medical emergencies). But they won't accept my US card (since it doesn't say Belarus or Worldwide on it, so this was redundant for me and I just wanted the cheapest insurance regardless of whether the company is good or not (I have no experience with RoamRight and really don't care since I'll never make a claim).

Your other option here would be to get a letter of coverage from your U.S.-based carrier. Most of them have a form letter they send out. But since the insurance you got was only $15 it may not have been worth the trouble to phone the U.S. And get it faxed. Better still if you got evacuation coverage.