Russia Tour Planning

Russia Tour Planning

Old Apr 21, 15, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1M
Russia Tour Planning

Thinking of visiting Russia this July and have a few questions:

- I am planning on visiting Yekatrinberg and I noticed that Chelyabinsk is about 3 hours away. Is there anything to see in Chelyabinsk with respect to the meteor that crashed there not too long ago? I can fly into one airport and fly out of the other. Would a day be enough to see both places? In Yetatrinberg, I'm only planning on seeing the Church of Spilled Blood and Ganima Yama.

- St. Petersburg. How long would it take to see Peterhof? Would it be possible t see Peterhof, Hermitage, and the Peter & Paul Cathedral?

- Moscow. Are there official taxis? The last time I was, individuals were acting as cabs and it made me nervous and so ended up taking the bus to the airport.
Old Apr 22, 15, 3:17 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, IHG Plat Amb
Not sure about the meteor heritage, but I don't think Chelyabinsk itself is worth visiting for a tourist.
Plan at least half a day for Peterhof, better a full day. Peterhof+Hermitage in one day is a really bad idea even if you're short on time.
Many (but not all) taxis in Moscow are official now, with yellow license numbers (instead of white for private cars), and the cars are usually yellow too. However I don't think it changes a lot in terms of security
Old May 13, 15, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1M
Anyone?
Old May 16, 15, 8:38 am

Programs: AA/BA/DL/US Air
Originally Posted by UA Fan View Post
Anyone?
Depends on what you want to see and how much time you have. It is the most polluted city in Russia and I wouldn't drink the water nor eat anything while there. There have been several smaller nuclear incidents in years past, as well as industrial contamination.

As the Germans were pushing towards Stalingrad, Russia moved it's industrial base to Chelyabinsk. The T-34 tanks were built here. It therefore has one of the best airport runways to accommodate any size aircraft.

As for the Meteorite site.... it landed in the river and a contest was held to design a monument, but to my knowledge nothing has been done yet, but I have not been there since the meteorite landed.
Old May 18, 15, 2:12 am

Programs: FB Platinum, TK Elite Plus, AY Silver
Originally Posted by UA Fan View Post
- Moscow. Are there official taxis? The last time I was, individuals were acting as cabs and it made me nervous and so ended up taking the bus to the airport.
Cheapest option is a marshrutka. But I presume you don't travel with only hand luggage, so the train is a better option if you want to avoid pricey taxis.
All three airports are served by an airport express train, connecting to the nearest metro station: https://www.aeroexpress.ru/en

Search this Thread