Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Russia
Reload this Page >

Riding the Aeroexpress from SVO to the Moscow Hilton

Old Feb 5, 15, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miler, AA Lifetime Gold, Top 1% of KIVA lenders

I am going to be staying at the Moscow Hilton next month and am considering riding the Aeroexpress from SVO.

How far is the Hilton from the station? Is taking the train a good idea?

Thank you for your suggestions.
Old Feb 5, 15, 8:55 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, IHG Plat Amb
SVO train arrives at Belorusskiy rail station (Белорусский вокзал). Hilton Moscow Leningradskaya (I assume it's the one) is near the Leningradskiy rail station (Ленинградский вокзал) which is 3 miles (or 3 metro stations) away.

If you're not alone and arriving outside of peak hours, taking the taxi is a good idea as long as you're not overcharged.
Old Feb 5, 15, 5:46 pm

Programs: I travel for fun these days.
darn it - double post.

Last edited by DirtyDan; Feb 5, 15 at 5:48 pm Reason: always wondered how people did this... damn quotes
Old Feb 5, 15, 5:47 pm

Programs: I travel for fun these days.
Originally Posted by Temedar View Post
If you're not alone and arriving outside of peak hours, taking the taxi is a good idea as long as you're not overcharged.
Thank you for this information as we'll be making the same trip in a few months.

For clarification purposes, why the caution about being alone and outside peak hours? Traffic / security or just cheaper for multiple people to travel together in taxi? What would be a good rate for the taxi?
Old Feb 5, 15, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

I will be traveling alone and arriving in SVO at noon. and departure from SVO is after noon. I guess that will not be the peak hours.

I called the hotel and they charge R 3,200 for a one way trip. I was told that the taxi cost is about R 3,000 if you are not being driven around.

R 800 for a return trip on Aeroexpress plus the cost of a taxi or the metro from Belorusskiy rail station sure beats R 6,400.

Is the metro easy to navigate and buy tickets? How much would it cost to take a taxi from Belorusskiy rail station to the Hilton?

Thanks again for your advice.
Old Feb 5, 15, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
For clarification purposes, why the caution about being alone and outside peak hours? Traffic / security or just cheaper for multiple people to travel together in taxi? What would be a good rate for the taxi?
Price and traffic, security on the train is not a concern at all.
The train costs 400/450 roubles per person not including the metro (50).
You shouldn't really pay more than 1500 for the taxi: the lowest price is somewhere around 1000, but you need to call or use a local Uber clone. The official airport taxi charges 2100 roubles for a tripto the center; while it's about $32 at today's rates, it's still too expensive.
Old Feb 5, 15, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by Brahmin View Post
I will be traveling alone and arriving in SVO at noon. and departure from SVO is after noon. I guess that will not be the peak hours.
Close to peak (if mid-week), but more or less ok to take the taxi.

I called the hotel and they charge R 3,200 for a one way trip. I was told that the taxi cost is about R 3,000 if you are not being driven around.
A rip-off, as stated above

Is the metro easy to navigate and buy tickets? How much would it cost to take a taxi from Belorusskiy rail station to the Hilton?
I think the ticket machines have an English option, but not all of the navigation signs do. A taxi to Hilton will cost under 500 roubles, and the Aeroexpress web site says you can order one when buying your train ticket in the airport (at the counter, not online).
Old Feb 6, 15, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

This is very good information. I am planning on taking the Aeroexpress to Belorusskiy rail station and then taking a taxi from there to the Hilton.

I will order a taxi when I buy my ticket at SVO.

I was looking at the Moscow metro website and discovered that it has a 1-day unlimited ride pass for R 200. That is a fantastic deal. It also had some information on monorails, buses, etc. Should I bother about that?

Thank you again.
Old Feb 6, 15, 9:45 pm

Programs: Delta P, SPG G, Marriott S, Hertz PC
Public transportation in Moscow is quite cheap by American/EU standards.

The metro is just fine, particularly on the major lines/stops, and there are PLENTY of people who speak english there that will help you.

Taxis are quite expensive vs trains, albeit more convenient... as long as you are not sitting in traffic... and in Moscow... there is almost always traffic.
Old Feb 7, 15, 5:34 am

I was looking at the Moscow metro website and discovered that it has a 1-day unlimited ride pass for R 200. That is a fantastic deal. It also had some information on monorails, buses, etc. Should I bother about that?
Depends on your destinations, but generally all major tourist attractions in Moscow are within a 10-minute walk from the nearest metro station, with the exception of the MSU building (about 20 minutes from Universitet metro).
Old Feb 7, 15, 5:50 am

Programs: UA Gold, Avis Chairman, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
The metro is clean and safe and fast. Only problem is that the signs are often only in Cyrillic.
Old Feb 9, 15, 8:39 am

Programs: UA, HH
Did the same thing in June - even with 2 kiddos preferred Aeroexpress. We ordered a taxi before boarding - there is a phone by the entrance to the Aeroexpress station at SVO - ended up paying 450 Roubles and the driver was waiting for us right on the arrival platform at Belorussian Station.

On the way back we ordered a taxi through Hilton and they charged us 750 for the same trip, but I was too tired to argue.
Old Feb 16, 15, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Are there a couple of ATMs available on the walk to the Aeroexpress ticket counter or should I have some Rubles before I land?

Thanks once again for the information.
Old Feb 16, 15, 10:58 pm

There are vending machines selling the tickets which accept credit cards and have an English interface (and a few others also but I cant remember which).
Old Feb 18, 15, 12:50 am

Programs: UA Gold, Avis Chairman, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Are there a couple of ATMs available on the walk to the Aeroexpress ticket counter or should I have some Rubles before I land?

Thanks once again for the information.
First of all, the banks that do exchanges in Russia don't rip you off as much as they do in other airports because it's tightly regulated by the government - so just take cash and exchange it if you can't find an ATM.

Search this Thread