Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Russia
Reload this Page >

Do I require a visa for transit in Moscow?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2014, 5:36 am
Original Poster

Hello all,

I will be flying from JFK to Yerevan via Moscow - Sheremetyevo. I will arrive at Terminal D and then depart from Terminal D again. I will have around 4 hours of connection time in Moscow. Do I require a transit visa? (I hold US Passport)

Thank You.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 8:05 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond AMB
You don't need a visa for this connection.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Temedar
You don't need a visa for this connection.
Thank You. I only hope that my flight is not cancelled and everything goes through well, so that I am not stranded for more than 24 hours. Also another worry of mine is that they move the flight to a terminal where I can't go.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 10:12 am

SU has 4 daily flights to EVN, so you won't get stranded for long. No need to worry about changing terminals either: you can connect between E, F and international sector of D visa-free, and SU does not use the other terminals except for holiday charter flights.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 10:14 am
Original Poster

SU has 4 daily flights to EVN, so you won't get stranded for long. No need to worry about changing terminals either: you can connect between E, F and international sector of D visa-free, and SU does not use the other terminals except for holiday charter flights.
Ah ok, thank you very much, but I have read that I still have to pass through passport control, why is that?
Old Dec 30, 2014, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Habetov
Ah ok, thank you very much, but I have read that I still have to pass through passport control, why is that?
Actually you don't (and can't - without a visa). You will pass a security check, and either the officials or the airline staff might check your passport, but that's not what the passport control is.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Actually you don't (and can't - without a visa). You will pass a security check, and either the officials or the airline staff might check your passport, but that's not what the passport control is.
I see, thanks again Temedar, how are the aeroflot flights generally from JFK to Moscow and to Yerevan? This will be my first time with Aeroflot, always I have flown via Paris or Vienna. But I heard good things about Aeroflot lately, and Air France has recently not been up to par.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 2:01 pm

You're welcome.
Are you flying economy or business? Economy class on Aeroflot is, well, economy I think most people here consider it to be better then DL or UA on transatlantic flights, though the meals were slightly downgraded recently. I'm afraid I don't have an opinion on AF economy (only flew business with them in the last years). SVO to EVN is a short flight, however you do get a free meal even in economy.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

You're welcome.
Are you flying economy or business? Economy class on Aeroflot is, well, economy I think most people here consider it to be better then DL or UA on transatlantic flights, though the meals were slightly downgraded recently. I'm afraid I don't have an opinion on AF economy (only flew business with them in the last years). SVO to EVN is a short flight, however you do get a free meal even in economy.
I am flying economy of course, but I got a really good deal, which I think is due to the weak Ruble. The only thing is I was not able to choose my seats, I'm assuming that will be possible when I check in 24 hours before? I do not like flying very much and prefer to sit next to the window...
Old Dec 30, 2014, 10:33 pm

That's the case, seat choices for the cheapest tickets are available only at check-in
Old Dec 31, 2014, 4:11 am
Original Poster

That's the case, seat choices for the cheapest tickets are available only at check-in
If I check in online exactly 24 hours before, what are the chances of getting a window seat?
Old Dec 31, 2014, 5:18 am

Can't give a precise answer, but I think you have good chances on both legs.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 8:42 am
Original Poster

spasibo brat
Old Jan 1, 2015, 1:22 pm

пожалуйста
Old Jan 7, 2015, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

I am flying in two days. After my trip I will post a detailed trip report regarding the trip that I took From New York-Moscow-Yerevan all with Aeroflot. I hope my trip report can serve other people who are thinking whether to take Aeroflot to some destination via Moscow, especially for US citizens that may doubt the visa situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.