Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Russia
Reload this Page >

Visa in US passport for Russian citizen?

Visa in US passport for Russian citizen?

Old Sep 25, 14, 8:22 pm
Original Poster
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SJC, LAX
Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards A+, CP, Amex Plat (and all that comes with it)
Posts: 49
Visa in US passport for Russian citizen?

My situation is that I need to travel to Russia within the next couple of weeks (ideally, about 1 week from today).

I have:
- A US Passport
- An old expired Russian international passport (expired two years ago)

I had (but lost) a Russian internal passport that would still be valid.

If I understand correctly, it would take at least a few months to replace my Russian passport. What I am hoping is that there is some way to get a Visa using my US passport. I know that technically this is against the rules and that they may notice that my US passport states that I was born in the US. However, I have heard reports that some people have had success with this approach.

Have any Russian-born forks on here successfully gotten a rush Russian Visa on a US passport without providing proof of renouncing their citizenship? If so, what agency did you use?

Any suggestions for other approaches?

TLDR; need to go to Russia in a week or two. Have a US Passport and am a Russian citizen but do not have Russian passport. Looking for any agency that can help and willing to pay whatever crazy fees they impose.
redchilly is offline  
Old Sep 26, 14, 1:18 am
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Moscow
Programs: Marriott Plat, IHG Plat Amb
Posts: 1,100
Pure theory: get a visa to Belarus (into your US passport), fly into Minsk, cross the non-existent border with Russia by car. If stopped inside Russia, you can show your expired int'l Russian passport - worst case you'll get a fine for not renewing your local one.
Obviously this does break some laws.

A more legal approach would be getting a "return travel document" (usually issued when your passport is stolen), flying into Russia with it and then quickly renewing your travel passport. However, you'll pay a lot to get a new passport quickly, and I'm not sure that you can get a return ID at all.

Last edited by Temedar; Sep 26, 14 at 4:52 am Reason: Added 2nd option
Temedar is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread