FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Russia (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/russia-485/)
-   -   Way from Leningradskaya station to Radisson Royal? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/russia/1614132-way-leningradskaya-station-radisson-royal.html)

William S Sep 19, 2014 12:42 pm

Way from Leningradskaya station to Radisson Royal?

Hello.
I will arrive with train from St. Petersburg, and I just wonder what is the quickest way between the station and the hotel. I am somewhat famililar with Moscow having visited Moscow in 2010 so I can navigate the metro etc. I understand the "taxis" in Moscow are a bit of a hassle for the non Russian speaker like myself, so it makes me wonder if the metro is still the best option to this hotel.

Temedar Sep 20, 2014 1:49 am

On the metro it's a 10-minute direct trip between two very crowded stations followed by a 10-minute walk. There is a thread about taxis in Moscow for those not speaking Russian, and someone there suggested Uber - this seems a good idea to me.

William S Sep 20, 2014 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Temedar (Post 23554188)
On the metro it's a 10-minute direct trip between two very crowded stations followed by a 10-minute walk. There is a thread about taxis in Moscow for those not speaking Russian, and someone there suggested Uber - this seems a good idea to me.

Hm Uber may be a good idea if the drivers can understand me or I may just take a printout of the adress in Russian so they know where to go. The most important part is that I get there without being ripped off and of course in a safe manner (well I don't really care much about Russian driving habits, I was more thinking about robberies etc).

My one experience with Uber (in Dubai) was a good one though so may give it a go in Moscow. Well apart from that I love that Russian Railways has a more or less English booking site. Makes life easier and you don't need to deal with any cost rising third parties.

Temedar Sep 20, 2014 2:14 pm

Most drivers will not need a printout if you call your hotel by its historical name - gostinitsa Ukraina (hotel Ukraine) :)

meFIRST Sep 20, 2014 10:50 pm

Everyone in Moscow will understand Gostinicha Ukrania. ( the historical name of the hotel, than Raddison Royal)

Its a very prominent building with a lot of history.

Stayed there many times. Its actually my favorite hotel in Moscow. I wonder how that place is doing these days, given the current business climate?

Recommend taking a taxi, as you will be passing 2 very very crowded metro stations. And when you arrive at the closest metro station to the hotel you will have to walk down a park and cross an underpass of a very busy street, famous for bad traffic.

William S Sep 21, 2014 2:16 am

Originally Posted by meFIRST (Post 23557791)
Recommend taking a taxi, as you will be passing 2 very very crowded metro stations. And when you arrive at the closest metro station to the hotel you will have to walk down a park and cross an underpass of a very busy street, famous for bad traffic.

How do you recommend doing this? I mean those taxies loitering around the train station may charge me alot (!), I will of course ignore any touts, but I was wondering about the actual drivers.

Hehe luckily I am redeeming Club Carlson points for that hotel, the rates are more than anything I have ever paid (even Conrad in Hong Kong).

TelFunku Sep 21, 2014 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by William S (Post 23558177)
How do you recommend doing this? I mean those taxies loitering around the train station may charge me alot (!), I will of course ignore any touts, but I was wondering about the actual drivers.

Hehe luckily I am redeeming Club Carlson points for that hotel, the rates are more than anything I have ever paid (even Conrad in Hong Kong).

Yandex Taxi App

meFIRST Sep 21, 2014 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by TelFunku (Post 23560141)

The Yandex Taxi app requires a smartphone and some knowledge of Russian, and a Russian +7 phone number.

Please do a search on Moscow taxi's. We covered this before.