Wiki Posts
Search

Moscow or Saint Pertersburg

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2014, 4:21 am
Original Poster

Moscow or Saint Pertersburg

Hi!

I am going to Russia with my brother in August, and we are hesitating between Moscow and Saint Petersburg.
What are your opinions about that?

Thanks!
Old May 23, 2014, 7:21 am
Suspended

how long u going for? what do you like to do? there are folks who love say SanFran but not LA and vice versa

we're heading over our 1st time will be in SPB for a week not touching Moscow at all. Personally I think a week may be too long for Moscow but way too short for SPB. SPB is suppose to be 1 if not #1 of the most beutiful citys in the World. Our 1st stop is Tallinn which is suppose to have an old city bar none

Its a personal perference and really depends on what a persons interests are, I wont even say do SPB over Moscow since you havent said what your interests are, could very well be Moscow would be a better choice for you
Old May 23, 2014, 1:34 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
If it's strictly tourism, go for Petersburg. It's a wonderful place to visit.
Old May 23, 2014, 1:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond AMB
SPb looks like a European city, Moscow does not. Saint Petersburg is a better choice for museums and palaces. On the other side, you really need time in the "northern capital" - if you have just 2 or 3 days, you'll have to skip a lot. For clubbing Moscow might be a better choice, though SPB also provides enough decent options.
If you have at least a week (and preferrably more), you can easily do both.
Old May 24, 2014, 9:54 am

Programs: UAL Premier Gold, HHonors Gold, B6 Mosaic
If you have time, go for both. Aeroflot operates the "Aeroflot Shuttle" or something like that between SVO and LED, and a few other airlines (I've taken both SU and S7) fly there as well. The flight isn't very long, but if you can find a cheaper ticket, I'd advise you to take the Sapsan high-speed train. Door to door you're there in roughly the same amount of time as it would take to get to the airport, hang around, board, fly, land, go to the other city, etc. I'm a Russian speaker myself and still find Russian airports to be stressful places, but I had a very pleasant journey on the train.

I've also been to many cities in Russia, and I can safely say that SPB is by far my favorite. August is a great time to visit - still summer and still full of tourists, but not the crazy rush that happens in June/early July (the "White Nights" period). The canals, the buildings, the museums - everything is indeed quite 'European', and the city has a particular charm that I have yet to see anywhere else. In addition to the Hermitage, there are a few other smaller, lesser-known museums within a few blocks (the secret police museum and the Kunstkamera, for example) that are totally worth checking out. And the fountains at Peterhof rival those at Versailles - also recommended.

As for Moscow - well, it's a large, bustling city, lacking in charm but making up for it (somewhat) with tons of things to do and see. Good restaurants, good museums. Check out St. Basil's, walk around Red Square, take a Kremlin tour. A boat cruise up and down the Moscow river is nice, too. I've lived and worked in Moscow and while it's not my favorite city, I still enjoy being there quite a bit. Moscow can get quite warm in July/August, so pack appropriately.

If you're just going to be in Russia for tourism, I'd recommend to divide your time between SPB and Moscow about 60/40 (roughly). If you have no plans to go back anytime soon, then I'd definitely check out both cities.
Old May 26, 2014, 2:14 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your answers!

Given what I read, it is better to see SPB before Moscow, at least in first. We have only one week of vacations (we couldn't have more time in common with my work)
Do you think it is possible to see the both in this period?

We are going to Russia to discover the culture, food, music, monuments... not a lot for clubbing, perhaps once, but not anymore
Old May 26, 2014, 7:51 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond AMB
Doable. 4-5 days for SPB, 2-3 days for Moscow. In addition to options mentioned above consider the overnight train - saves you both daytime and $$$ for a hotel night.
Old May 27, 2014, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

do petersburg. we spent a week in the hermitage. it is wonderful. next week in other places in petersburg. then a week in moscow. did not think the food in russia was all that great. hotels are very expensive.

Last edited by slawecki; May 27, 2014 at 7:26 am
Old May 30, 2014, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Finally we decided to spend all the week in SPB.
About the hotel, we don't have chosen for the moment, but I have found a website which compares the hotels with each others, discavo, maybe it could help us in our decision.
I am open to every suggestions, if you know a good hotel, comfortable and not too expensive.
Thank you very much for the replies!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.