Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Russia
Reload this Page >

Long connection at SVO - suggestions?

Old May 14, 14, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

I'm looking at flights over the Christmas and New Year's holiday and found pretty cheap tickets ~$1050 from NYC Thailand via Moscow on Aeroflot. The layover is about 12-15 hours each direction (day on the way there, night on the way back). I was thinking it would be a good opportunity to explore Moscow for a day and was just planning in staying in a hotel near the airport on the way back.

Anyone have experience on flying this route and have any advice? e.g. is Aeroflot a good airline, is it easy to get from SVO to Moscow, etc.
Old May 14, 14, 9:18 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bigkahuna3476 View Post
I'm looking at flights over the Christmas and New Year's holiday and found pretty cheap tickets ~$1050 from NYC Thailand via Moscow on Aeroflot. The layover is about 12-15 hours each direction (day on the way there, night on the way back). I was thinking it would be a good opportunity to explore Moscow for a day and was just planning in staying in a hotel near the airport on the way back.

Anyone have experience on flying this route and have any advice? e.g. is Aeroflot a good airline, is it easy to get from SVO to Moscow, etc.
I did not fly Aeroflot to BKK but I did use them to go JFK to DEL and JFK to CAI a few years ago. Similar reason, it was cheapest and I wanted to sneak in Red Square. Both times I got a transit visa to go to Moscow for the approx 8 hour layover. Was able to check my bag at the aiort and we took the train back and forth to the city. Chose this option as I heard traffic was unpredictable. I enjoyed the day trip and felt it was worth the visa cost. Aeroflot is not a great airline but I slept and read as much as I could, also brought my own snacks. The destinations were definitely better then the journey but glad I did it.
Old May 16, 14, 8:25 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by ghia74 View Post
Both times I got a transit visa to go to Moscow for the approx 8 hour layover.
That sounds interesting. Were you able to get that at the airport, and was there a cost?
Old May 16, 14, 8:38 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by EmailKid View Post
That sounds interesting. Were you able to get that at the airport, and was there a cost?

No, you cannot get it at the airport, you need to get it in advance from an embassy or consulate. Fairly easy process though. You need to get a plane ticket first but at least with the transit visa you do not need a letter from a hotel. The cost was around $140, same as a regular visa. Kind if steep but I was glad I spent it for the experience.
Old May 17, 14, 9:08 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold

Welcome to FlyerTalk! Since your question is actually about Moscow, I've moved the thread to the Russia forum to gain the attention of more of the FlyerTalkers who might be of assistance.

Forum members will please note that this thread originated at the flame-freeInformation Desk, and reply accordingly.

Thanks everyone, and safe travels to the OP.

~Moderator, Thailand

Search this Thread