Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Russia
Reload this Page >

Saint Petersburg Bridges and Early Morning Flights.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2014, 12:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Plat, Marco Polo Club Green , HH Blue, Marriott Plat
Lightbulb Saint Petersburg Bridges and Early Morning Flights.

I am traveling to Saint Petersburg for the first time.

I have done a little research and found that many of the bridges are drawbridges and they are "open" for river traffic from 1:30AM to 5:00AM.

My return flight leaves at 6AM from LED (Pulkovo) Airport. My hotel is the Courtyard St Petersburg Vasilievsky on Vasilievsky Island.

Do I need to rebook my hotel for my last day to be on the correct side of the River?

EW
Old May 5, 2014, 6:33 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond AMB
The safest way will be to rebook the last night or to depart the hotel at about 1AM. However, some of the bridges, including the Dvortsoviy ("Palace") bridge become closed (or should I say open?) to allow car traffic to pass for a small 20-30 minute period somewhere between 3AM and 4AM. Obviously be sure to triple check the opening/closing times with locals.

All of the above does not apply if you visit St. Petersburg in winter (middle of November - middle of April), when the drawbridges stay down 24/7.
Old May 5, 2014, 9:20 am

Programs: BAEC (Silver)
Check bridge raising times at http://piter-online.com (in Russian only, but quite straightforward).
Old May 6, 2014, 1:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Plat, Marco Polo Club Green , HH Blue, Marriott Plat

Originally Posted by homelyboy
Check bridge raising times at http://piter-online.com (in Russian only, but quite straightforward).
A bit more straightforward if one uses Google Translate, which translates bridge opening as "divorce".
Old May 6, 2014, 4:13 pm

Programs: BAEC (Silver)
Yeah, in Russian, it's the same word, 'razvod', for both divorce and opening of a bridge. Literally, 'leading apart' or 'driving apart'.
Old May 13, 2014, 12:42 pm

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Temedar
The safest way will be to rebook the last night or to depart the hotel at about 1AM. However, some of the bridges, including the Dvortsoviy ("Palace") bridge become closed (or should I say open?) to allow car traffic to pass for a small 20-30 minute period somewhere between 3AM and 4AM. Obviously be sure to triple check the opening/closing times with locals.

All of the above does not apply if you visit St. Petersburg in winter (middle of November - middle of April), when the drawbridges stay down 24/7.
One bridge from Vasilevstrovsky does exactly this--it comes down for about 30 minutes around 3:00am where you can pass over and head to the airport. It is the Blagoveshchensky bridge (Благовещенский Мост) (previously called Lt. Schmidt Bridge).

With that said, if you want to remove all doubt, staying somewhere south, closer to the airport, would definitely be the safer alternative.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.