Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Russia
Reload this Page >

Traveling to Russia

Traveling to Russia

Old Mar 10, 2014, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by mandolino
Right now, the biggest danger appears to be being rendered catatonic by the relentless propaganda on Russia Today. Beautiful day in Moscow.
Amen to that.

I just spend two weeks in Russia and all but the propaganda seemed perfectly normal. If there really was and/or will be an issue your cruise company will take corrective measures.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 1:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond AMB
Originally Posted by Bookworm
all but the propaganda seemed perfectly normal.
Actually the propaganda is also close to normal - it's 24/7/365 here, only the targets change. Opposition, gays, now the "nazis"..
Old Mar 10, 2014, 2:40 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
We can get RT anywhere in the world, always good for laugh.
But in my hotel it's the only channel in English and I just put it to hear what they were saying about the Malaysian airlines crash then left it on while I was working on emails and such.

I must say, absolutely glorious day in Moscow today, like summer without the sweat. And so quiet being a holiday, we drove right round the Kremlin/Red Square area (using the normal big roads if you must ask!) and back along the river in less than 10 minutes - never managed that before! the traffic was so light. However I'm told that the new parking rules and enforcement have also reduced traffic since my last visit.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 8:19 am

Programs: Aadvantage, Skymiles, AlaskaAir, Starwood, Marriott
With all due respect to those who have answered the OP's question, I think you are missing his point. I am in a similar situation, booked on a 14 day Baltic cruise in June. The issue is not whether there is danger in visiting. The issue is that if the situation escalates further, as it looks like it may, there is a good chance that the ships may not be allowed to port in St. Petersburg as scheduled. While there are many other great ports on the itinerary for these cruises, most have a 2 day stopover in St. Petersburg, and the cruiselines charge alot of money for the Baltic cruises because of the stop in Russia. Yes, they "MAY" give another port in its place but they may not, instead opting to give sea days which earn the cruiselines more money since they don't have to pay berthing fees and we are stuck on the ship buying drinks all day. We just don't know what they will do if the situation arises, and they will not provide any answers as to what they will do if they can't stop in St. Petersburg. The problem is that final payments for the cruises must be made in the next week - month for most of the summer cruises So maybe he is asking for your opinions on how you think the situation is going to play out to help him decide whether he should take a chance on not cancelling his cruise? I haven't decided yet - I still have 2 weeks before I have make the payment!
Old Mar 13, 2014, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by bjksgk
...The issue is that if the situation escalates further, as it looks like it may, there is a good chance that the ships may not be allowed to port in St. Petersburg as scheduled.
I think this is an absurd conjecture. Russia is simply nt going to prevent ships from docking in St.Petersburg because of the situation in Ukraine.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 11:15 am

Programs: Aadvantage, Skymiles, AlaskaAir, Starwood, Marriott
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I think this is an absurd conjecture. Russia is simply nt going to prevent ships from docking in St.Petersburg because of the situation in Ukraine.
Sorry you think the idea is absurd, but it has been being discussed in trade publications for the last week. 'Should trade sanctions be imposed against Russia, we believe only itineraries that are either in the Black Sea or have Russian ports of call, for example, St. Petersburg, would be impacted,' Wells Fargo analyst Tim Conder said. In this scenario, it's likely the Russian ports would be dropped from cruise routes.'
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by bjksgk
In this scenario, it's likely the Russian ports would be dropped from cruise routes.'
That's not the same as Russia preventing ships from dcking, which was the conjecture I was responding to.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 1:02 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
If it was a serious prospect, then they would have a contingency plan. Regardless of what Wells Fargo says, it seems the cruise company does not have a contingency plan yet so don't think it's a serious prospect.
You could go mad answering "what ifs?" based on media speculation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.