Wiki Posts
Search

Russia and Ukraine Flights and Visa

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Russia and Ukraine Flights and Visa

First post!

I have a flight on Delta out of JFK that I found lands in Terminal D (from the Delta website). Initially, because of the crazy visa requirements, we were just going to get a single entry visa and stay in Russia for our whole 15 day trip. However, it dawned on me that if we fly into SVO and fly out of the same terminal to Kiev, we can still do a single entry visa except that we'll be entering Russia from Ukraine on our flight back to Moscow from Kiev. Is this correct thinking?

I figure that if Delta flies into D and that is the Aeroflot terminal, I can buy Aeroflot flights to Kiev that depart within a few hours of our NYC flight landing in SVO and get away with going visa-free from Moscow to Kiev that way. Yes or no?

Then we would officially use our single entry visa to enter Russia on our flight back from Kiev.

Is this crazy enough to work?!
Thanks!
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:02 pm

Programs: BAEC (Silver)
Ithink78
Contact DL and ask if they can interlie your baggage directly to Kiev. If not, you'll need to undergo passport control to collect it in Moscow.

Make sure SVO-KBP is really done by SU and not VV code-share, for two reasons:
1) VV flies out of terminal C which is across the runway from the DEF compound and cannot be accessed without passport control;
2) there are some bad rumors circulating about VV's solvency.

PS. Aeroflot flies from terminals D, E, and F, but it is a compound with all international zones interconnected, so doesn't matter which of them.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 6:32 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
VV moved their flights a short while back to the south complex so you can now do a transfer, however they seem to be having financial problems and I would not buy tickets on them. SU flies SVO-KBP as well. OP -- if you have a US passport, you should be able to get a 3-year multi-entry visa when you apply and not have to worry about this at all.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:48 pm

Programs: DL SM
Just a few notes that I feel for once should be very helpful for the OP.

1) If you are a US citizen yes you will need a visa for Russia. Depending on your travel plans the number of entries you will need will vary however from my understand Russia now has an agreement with the USA to now issue all US citizens a 3 year multiple entry visa for $180. Where a single entry is $140. So it would most likely be in your best interest to attempt to get the 3 year visa.

2) Entering Ukraine from Russia does not matter. This is still considered international and you will have to clear passport control in KBP upon arrival and departure. So if you are wanting to travel to Ukraine and then back to Russia again it would be best to get the 3 year visa.

3) You can buy a ticket from SVO to KBP on SU or AeroSvit but due to a recent policy change on Delta after Jan 15 they potentially will NOT interline your bag to KBP thus requiring you to collect your luggage in SVO and recheck it with the connecting airline. I can not recommend how long of a connection to schedule but I would go with a longer one because of potential long delays getting to SVO, getting through immigration, and getting through customs and recheck.

Heres my recommendations. Get the 3 year visa. Stay in Russia for a few days. Travel to Ukraine (poltava is a nice city IMO). Travel back to Russia for a few more days and come home. And do not connect immediately to Ukraine unless you can confirm with Delta that they WILL interline you luggage to KBP.

Have a great trip.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!

I did since read about the new multi-entry rules and will likely get the double/multi-entry visa.

So you would not recommend flying straight to Kiev from SVO? Since I definitely want to do Moscow and STP, I figured going to Kiev first would make the most sense geographically, since Kiev is so far from STP and Moscow is in the middle. I thought do Kiev for 4-5 days, come back to Moscow, stay for 4-5 days then go to STP and stay for another 5-6 days and then come back to Moscow for our flight home. Would you do it differently then?

I suppose we could also do trains overnight but we'll be traveling with our 1.5 year old and I figured at least one of the inter-city trip should be by plane because it's quicker.

What would you recommend given the itinerary and already purchased flights to and from Moscow 4/17-5/03?

Thanks!

PS: as a first time poster, I'm not sure what VV and SU stand for?
Old Dec 18, 2012, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by Ithink78
I suppose we could also do trains overnight but we'll be traveling with our 1.5 year old and I figured at least one of the inter-city trip should be by plane because it's quicker.
If you take Sapsan high-speed train, the entire trip will only last 3h 45m. I would say it is more preferable than flying because you would spend a significant time at airport (going through security, waiting for baggage, etc). Plus, going to the airport might take a while depending on a traffic.

as a first time poster, I'm not sure what VV and SU stand for?
VV stands for Ukrainian-based airline AeroSvit (АероСвiт) and SU is a well-known Soviet old-timer Aeroflot
Old Dec 18, 2012, 7:21 pm

Programs: DL SM
Thanks everyone!

I did since read about the new multi-entry rules and will likely get the double/multi-entry visa.

So you would not recommend flying straight to Kiev from SVO? Since I definitely want to do Moscow and STP, I figured going to Kiev first would make the most sense geographically, since Kiev is so far from STP and Moscow is in the middle. I thought do Kiev for 4-5 days, come back to Moscow, stay for 4-5 days then go to STP and stay for another 5-6 days and then come back to Moscow for our flight home. Would you do it differently then?

What would you recommend given the itinerary and already purchased flights to and from Moscow 4/17-5/03?

Thanks!

PS: as a first time poster, I'm not sure what VV and SU stand for?
No I recommend a direct flight from SVO to KBP. If your interested in going to Kiev definitly look at kayak.com while most days are close to the same price I find kayak to be a very very useful tool in finding the best prices. I will ask my fiancee tommorrow if their is anything interesting going on during the time frame you posted. Ukraine is nice country to visit but here are some things I have learned from my previous visit.

Only get a limited number of UAH prior getting into the main part of the city. If you are taking a taxi negotiate the price before getting in. I would say at most you should pay to get into kiev is 100 UAH. Once you are in downtown Kiev their are a decent amount of exchanges that will give you really good rates usually I find its better than what I see on the internet. Finally go no where without your passport as you the police can request it anytime.

travel.state.gov is also a great resource.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 8:19 am
Original Poster

I was born in Kiev but immigrated as a child in 1991 and haven't been back since. I figure since I'll be in the viscinity, I have to go and see what it's like now. I remember it but have decidedly childlike memories of it. Plus, it was still communist and USSR when we left.

Thanks, for all the help. Doing some hotel searching and looking at the map of Kiev, I've decided it's not even a question: we have to go! But now we just have to figure out the itinerary. If you think going there first makes the most sense, I tend to agree. Maybe we'll even take a one way flight from AVO to Kiev when we get in from New York and then train it up to Moscow after. Either way, we're going to Kiev

About Sapsan, I see that it only has Moscow-STP routes. It doesn't go to Kiev, does it? If so, that doesn't really help me as I was already planning to take a train from Moscow to STP and back.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:04 pm

I would recommend to fly between Kiev and Moscow. You will save a lot of time even though it is a bit more expensive. I would just make sure that I am not flying Tu-154 if I were you Those are very impressive beasts, but they are all old and their maintenance is often not satisfactory.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Well, yes, it would actually be a lot more expensive to fly if we take an overnight train, no? Considering we would be able to skip a night of lodging if we overnight it back from Kiev to Moscow? Or am I missing something? I agree about flying there though, since we'll already be at the airport and would be able to skip the commonly mentioned hassle of driving to the airport, etc. Yes, I know we'll have to go through customs and get our luggage and check it back in even if we fly the same day but at least we'll already be there.

How much time do you think is reasonable to leave between our flight from NYC and our flight to Kiev out of SVO. We get in around 10am. Would it be reasonable to fly out to KBP around 4?
Old Dec 20, 2012, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by König
I would recommend to fly between Kiev and Moscow. You will save a lot of time even though it is a bit more expensive. I would just make sure that I am not flying Tu-154 if I were you Those are very impressive beasts, but they are all old and their maintenance is often not satisfactory.
What makes you think their maintenance is unsatisfactory? You obviously have no idea what you're talking about, since neither of the two carriers mentioned in this thread operate TU-154.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 9:18 pm

Well, yes, it would actually be a lot more expensive to fly if we take an overnight train, no? Considering we would be able to skip a night of lodging if we overnight it back from Kiev to Moscow? Or am I missing something? I agree about flying there though, since we'll already be at the airport and would be able to skip the commonly mentioned hassle of driving to the airport, etc. Yes, I know we'll have to go through customs and get our luggage and check it back in even if we fly the same day but at least we'll already be there.

How much time do you think is reasonable to leave between our flight from NYC and our flight to Kiev out of SVO. We get in around 10am. Would it be reasonable to fly out to KBP around 4?
OW ticket on the train is ~1000UAH (train 2), and customs/border controls are made at the origin/destination (unlike on other trains), so that you can sleep through the night. The ride is 10-11 hours.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by Palal
What makes you think their maintenance is unsatisfactory? You obviously have no idea what you're talking about, since neither of the two carriers mentioned in this thread operate TU-154.
Flew quite a few times on them 10 years ago. Between KBP and SVO. On SU. Yes, you are right, I have no idea if SU still operates them. I just figured they ain't getting younger, you know

How many times have you flown on Tu-154? You seem to know much more about their maintenance...
Old Dec 25, 2012, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by König
Flew quite a few times on them 10 years ago. Between KBP and SVO. On SU. Yes, you are right, I have no idea if SU still operates them. I just figured they ain't getting younger, you know

How many times have you flown on Tu-154? You seem to know much more about their maintenance...

SU retired them a couple of years ago.
I've flown a few times on their Tu-154 when they were still quite young ... Last time was in 2007 SVO-KBP. I also "know people who know people" enough to say good things about their maintenance in their last years of operation with SU.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

My question above didn't get answered: how long of a layover should I plan for in SVO between my flight from JFK (Delta) and my flight out of SVO to Kiev. If we land from JFK at 10am, would a flight out to Kiev at around 4pm be a reasonable layover to get all the customs, luggage, etc. sorted out?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.