Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Russia
Reload this Page >

NEW Russian more liberal Visa rules (changes up to Feb. 2016)

NEW Russian more liberal Visa rules (changes up to Feb. 2016)

Old Feb 12, 16, 9:08 am

Programs: AC*E50 (*A Gold), Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by ncvet61 View Post
It would appear Russia is trying to address this as they now show a "Visa transfer: $140 - three business day's", on their current Consular web site, http://www.ruscon.org/Visa_Tarif_Eng.html.

I've called and emailed for an explanation of what this entails, but have not received a reply yet.
Russia finding a way to extract more money from visa holders? No way, I don't believe it
Old Feb 18, 16, 11:40 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Transit Visa question

I think I know the answer but if someone could help me confirm I'd appreciate it.

Flying from Italy to the USA, connecting at SVO. 8 hour layover. 2 people traveling, 1 UK passport and 1 US passport. No Visa is needed as we would be in Russia less than 24 hours. Is that correct?

If so, would we be able to leave the airport during the layover?

Thanks.
Old Feb 18, 16, 12:09 pm

Programs: M&M FTL, A3 *G, Accor Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by justhere View Post
I think I know the answer but if someone could help me confirm I'd appreciate it.

Flying from Italy to the USA, connecting at SVO. 8 hour layover. 2 people traveling, 1 UK passport and 1 US passport. No Visa is needed as we would be in Russia less than 24 hours. Is that correct?

Thanks.
no you won't.... learned it the hard way last year.... best solution is to have access to one of the 24/7 lounges
Old Feb 18, 16, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA/BA/DL/US Air
Originally Posted by justhere View Post

Thanks.
Both Transit Visa requirements appear to be the same. The UK explains it best: [QUOTE][A Transit Visa is not required if you remain in the transit zone of the airport in order to catch an onward or connecting flight within 24 hours of arrival.QUOTE]
Old Feb 18, 16, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Thanks for the responses. Appreciate it.
Old Feb 18, 16, 4:35 pm

Programs: AR, LA, A3, UT, 6R, U6, PS, SU, and many more
Originally Posted by ncvet61 View Post
Carry both passports.
Not in the case of the Russian Visa
I have a passport with Russian visas and Russian stamps, and a parallel passport with all other countries and all other stamps. In your visa states your passport number, and you can't take it away, nor it can't be stamped in any other place. So if you run out of space (considering than many countries don't accept adding pages) you'll have to get a new visa in a new passport.
Or just take a 2nd passport. And leave a few empty pages (on the passport with the visa) for your future trips to Russia...

Different is in my case with the US Visa (granted for 10 years), where i have to present both passports, the newest one (the one I used for leaving the last country) and the old one (even it has expired) with the visa there...
Old May 31, 16, 12:28 pm

Programs: Delta Gold
This thread was incredibly helpful. But I have a couple of additional questions on the visa front. We are (U.S. citizens) headed to Russia for a quick vacation in August - 3 days in St. Petersburg and 3 in Moscow.

1. Does it make more sense to go ahead and apply for the 3 year visa, they seem to be the same price and at first glance this seems to be the case. If so, what do we put as our departure date? 3 years out from the arrival date?

2. On the letter of invitation, we have looked at doing it through a service as opposed to the hotel since we will be staying at two different hotels. Since my husband and I are traveling together, do we get one letter of invitation that has both of our names on it or do we pay for 2 letters given that we have to each fill out a visa application?

3. Should we pay for the optional "visa registration" from one of these services or is this something the hotel will do for us upon arrival?

In case it matters, we live in DC and just plan to drop off our application at the ILS office here in town. Sorry for what may be very elementary questions, this is our first major visa application.
Old May 31, 16, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by channonc View Post
This thread was incredibly helpful. But I have a couple of additional questions on the visa front. We are (U.S. citizens) headed to Russia for a quick vacation in August - 3 days in St. Petersburg and 3 in Moscow.

1. Does it make more sense to go ahead and apply for the 3 year visa, they seem to be the same price and at first glance this seems to be the case. If so, what do we put as our departure date? 3 years out from the arrival date?

2. On the letter of invitation, we have looked at doing it through a service as opposed to the hotel since we will be staying at two different hotels. Since my husband and I are traveling together, do we get one letter of invitation that has both of our names on it or do we pay for 2 letters given that we have to each fill out a visa application?

3. Should we pay for the optional "visa registration" from one of these services or is this something the hotel will do for us upon arrival?

In case it matters, we live in DC and just plan to drop off our application at the ILS office here in town. Sorry for what may be very elementary questions, this is our first major visa application.
#1. Yes, 3 year is best. You can travel in and out of Russia the same as a multi-entry visa. Itís especially nice if you see a tour or day trip outside Russia for the day. The important part is date of entry. You canít stay longer than 6 months at a time. Make your entry date earlier than your actual entry date, and make it for a week or so beyond your actual departure date. This gives you a little flexibility.

#2. I'm not sure on this.

#3. It's not needed Ė You have 7 days in Russia to register and youíre only staying 6. Also the hotel is responsible to register you if needed.

You still need to file your application electronically even if you're dropping off your application.
Old Jun 1, 16, 3:18 pm

My husband and I plan to go to St Petersburg on August 10, 2016 by train from Helsinki. We did not buy the roundtrip train tickets Helsinki - St Petersburg yet. We only have roundtrip air tickets from the U.S. to Helsinki, an invitation letter (visa support letter) from the hotel where we plan to stay and travel insurance including health coverage in Russia. But we have not filled out the visa application form online yet.

Should we apply for the Russian visa before buying the train tickets Helsinki-St Petersburg? We plan to do it in Seattle.

I called and sent email for this question to the Consulate in Seattle but nobody answered. I read the old thread and am not sure if the information was too old. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/russi...ne-ticket.html

Thank you.
Old Jun 1, 16, 6:18 pm
pjs

Contact ILS-USA, not the consulate. They will answer your question. http://www.ils-usa.com/
Old Jun 1, 16, 9:35 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, UA GS, BA Silver, Marriott Ambassador, Accor Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by joytatee View Post
Should we apply for the Russian visa before buying the train tickets Helsinki-St Petersburg?
You won't need the tickets (train or plane)óthe invitation letter is all they'll want to see for a US citizen getting a tourist visa.
Old Jun 20, 16, 12:01 pm

Programs: *A Gold, OW Emerald; IHG S, SPG P, HH D, HGP D, Accor P, Carlson G
3-year multiple entry visa for EU citizens?

Just want to confirm, is the 3-year multiple entry Russian visa only available to US citizens, or available to EU passport holders as well?
Old Jun 20, 16, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

The 3 year visa in this Forum is for US and not EU. The EU has many different requirements, depending on Country and Status in your home country, some getting 2-5 year visa's. http://ambru.nl/en/page.php?a=1
Old Jun 21, 16, 3:14 pm

Thanks all for the help with the visa questions. I managed to get the answer to the second one regarding the letter of invitation. You can share the letter of invitation (names of all in the party must be on it) and you need to print out a separate copy for each person to include in their application.
Old Jun 23, 16, 8:30 am

Also thought I would add that I dropped my visa application at the ILS office in DC. They now have a sign up saying they take credit cards with an additional 3.5% fee.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: