Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Russia
Reload this Page >

NEW Russian more liberal Visa rules (changes up to Feb. 2016)

NEW Russian more liberal Visa rules (changes up to Feb. 2016)

Old Nov 22, 17, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by ffsim View Post
Every time Iíve ever applied for a Russian visa, there were countless warnings that Russian citizens must use Russian passports to enter Russia. So I guess the answer to your question depends on whether Russia considers you a Russian citizen.
Yeah, doing some more reading about it seems like I am screwed. I emigrated out of Ukraine in 1992 but with a Soviet passport. Guess I'm not going back to Russia any time soon.
Old Nov 23, 17, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by calmasahinducow View Post
Yeah, doing some more reading about it seems like I am screwed. I emigrated out of Ukraine in 1992 but with a Soviet passport. Guess I'm not going back to Russia any time soon.
I would still check. You would've been an Ukranian, not Russian citizen in 1992 so I personally don't see any problems.
Old Jun 3, 18, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by Sisyphus1carus View Post
Oh my gosh.......question on the visa application form:

Have you ever visited other countries in the past ten years?
If the answer is yes you must list all countries you have visited in the past ten years. You should only enter one visit per field. In order to add more visits please use the option "Add"

Country name *
Date from *
Date to *
Purpose of visit *

How on earth will I be able to remember the exact dates (even rough months & years in some cases) of dozens of trips. This is total madness.

In all seriousness I am now thinking of giving up visiting Russia due to all this BS.

Illegals don't have to go through any of this BS or queue for hours in airport security lines (in Russia, the UK, Europe or America) as they sneak themselves in. That's looking far more appealing than the ridiculous loops the rest of us have to jump through. There seems very little point in checking passports at airports in the UK at the moment as anyone who wants to avoid detection can just come in one of a dozen different ways successfully anyway - the only people going through the rigmarole of security checks are those who will pass with flying colours !!

Grrr.... rant, rant, fume, rant.
If I were you I'd go illegally tbh. So much more convenient!
Old Oct 1, 18, 9:32 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks

Programs: Tri-State Turducken, Keisei Skinflint, KCR Headphones, Kopaja Platinum
Are there any recent reviews applicants for a visa in the NY area? I'm considering getting another 3-year visa in my new passport.

TIA,
BmB
Old Oct 23, 18, 4:22 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento View Post
Are there any recent reviews applicants for a visa in the NY area? I'm considering getting another 3-year visa in my new passport.

TIA,
BmB
I live on Long Island, and I just applied for a 3-year business visa for the first time went pretty smoothly. I think I went to Russia like 20 years ago with my parents as a kid... I don't think a visa was required back then since we were in a tour group. Anyways I applied with a fresh limited validity [second] 4-year passport.

I prepared the documents I needed: (1) Fresh passport (2) Passport photo cut to 3.5 cm x 4.5 cm with ruler and scissors glued to (3) Completed application (4) Invitation letter. I printed at 100% to A4 sized paper so my cut pictures fit perfectly in the picture box on the application. For my application where I listed all the countries I visited in the last ten years in lieu of listing of hundreds of repeated one-two day entries to China, Singapore, Japan, Canada, etc., I instead listed each country only once. I guess with a fresh passport there was no way for them check, but I ended up listed about 18 countries with accurate dates to be as forthcoming as possible.

I mailed my documents to ILS overnight arrived October 9 for the standard processing. Originally I applied for one-year visa, but a member of the ILS staff called me to tell my invitation letter did not have my name written in Cyrillic and was missing the line that said "Purpose of visit: Business" (in Russian of course) and that they only issue short term visa or 3-year visa (no one-year visas) so I called messed my sponsor who got their lawyer to send me a new invitation letter within a couple hours. I submitted updated documentation overnight again arriving Oct 11. Fee was $270 for visa, $3 for $100 insurance (option), $33 for the ILS fee, and $85 for mailing them the application including return shipping. I was promised Oct 24 for visa. On Oct 22 (yesterday) I got a notice from FedEx overnight passport, and this morning at 8 am I got my passport back with a new 3-year business visa. I think it went a lot smoother than I was reading online and stuff. The ILS staff was actually pretty helpful and told me exactly what was wrong with my application and how to correct it. I got an update they submitted it and another when I was getting my passport back with a visa. I suppose that $33 fee does pay for something!

So total time was about 14 days, though 12 days if you take out two days for me having an invite letter with missing information, and only ten days if you go there and pick it up yourself.
Old Jan 18, 19, 1:16 pm

Russia visa application - Q about "arrests"

Hi -

I'm 54. I was arrested for minor in possession of alcohol about 35 years ago. I don't have the exact date but was obviously under 21. That's it for the skeletons in my closet,

Does anyone have any experience with a "yes" answer to the arrests question?

Thanks
Old Jul 28, 19, 8:45 pm

Location: Primarily NOVA (anywhere between IAD DCA DEN DMM BAH)
Programs: United MileagePlus, NEXUS
Putin said he aims to introduce e-visas to Russia fully by 2021. Though there's no telling which countries will qualify for it just yet.

Passport holders from 58 countries can now get an e-visa for short visits to Kaliningrad, and Saint Petersburg will also be an option to visit with an e-visa in October (though we still don't know if it'll be the same 58 countries or the 18 who are eligible to apply for e-visa to the Far East.
Old Aug 3, 19, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Concierge Key/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite lifetime
Any way to get a tourist visa reliably in two business days? I see some services online but don’t know if anyone here has used them before and can comment.
Old Feb 21, 20, 4:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, PR, TG, UA, CX (Asia Miles), BT, AY
I'm applying for a Russian visa for the first time, and I have a few questions regarding the application process:
  • I live in California and the state is under the jurisdiction of the Embassy in DC, but I was wondering if I could apply for the visa at any other mission. Going to New York or Houston seems to be easier than DC, but if I have to apply for the visa in Washington I can certainly do that.
  • I have a hotel reservation, but more likely than not I'm staying at a friend's house (he's Russian). I can use a tourist visa to go on a private visit, right?
  • I read that Americans don't need to submit an invitation letter anymore, but the form is still asking for one. Should I disregard it?
I thought the Indian visa application was madness, but this takes it up a notch. But I know Russia's worth it!
Old Feb 21, 20, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by Akiestar View Post
I thought the Indian visa application was madness, but this takes it up a notch. But I know Russia's worth it!
FYI India now issues e-visas and they are simple and such a relief from the previous one.

Be careful about fake visa websites.
Old Feb 21, 20, 6:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, PR, TG, UA, CX (Asia Miles), BT, AY
Originally Posted by UA Fan View Post
FYI India now issues e-visas and they are simple and such a relief from the previous one.

Be careful about fake visa websites.
Oh, I got the regular visa because it was more cost-effective than the e-visa! So I actually know how both processes work, and the paper visa application seemed easy enough. (For one, they don't ask every single country I've been to the last ten years; meanwhile, the Russian visa application doesn't give me enough space to list all the countries I visited, so I have to omit anything before 2012!)
Old Jul 21, 20, 5:43 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, IHG Plat Amb
Today the State Duma approved a law allowing single-entry e-visas for all of Russia (pre-COVID those were limited to St. Petersburg, Kaliningrad region and Far East) starting from January 2021. No information on eligible countries yet, and the border is still closed for most non-citizens due to the pandemic.
Old Jul 24, 20, 11:35 am

Programs: DL DM (MM), SPG/Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, LH Never Ever Again!
First post here in years. Nice to know FT is still alive and well. So many memories. Anyway...

From today's Moscow Times: Russia will waive visa fees for foreigners when the country’s consulates and diplomatic missions reopen abroad, the Foreign Ministry has announced.

If true, great opportunity to grab a Russian visa "just in case" you have the chance to visit in the coming years. I assume this will apply to the 3 year tourist visas which have become pretty standard for a while now.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: