Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Russia
Reload this Page >

Weather, good food and souveners in Moscow

Old Jul 31, 12, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Rumors about extreme cold in Moscow and St Petersburg are slightly overrated. Even in winter the temperature rarely falls below -8(a wolly sweater, warm tourist boots, and a coat will be enaught for most of cases even in jamuary).
One of the best restorants in Moscow is «Pushkin», which is famous for superb russian cousine(some of their dishes are made according to recipes from 18th century recipe-book) .
If you are planning to buy souvenirs in Russia be careful- most of goods you can by on flea markets is very low in quality and all the same. They all look like they are all from Pakistan fabrique of Fakes.
The alternative is sovenirs boutique like Rus velikaya( Русь Великая in Kirrillic), Which is near Chkalovkaya tube station.
In my opinion it is more like museum then souvenir market. Of course their prices are a little bit higher, but at least you can be sure that all of their staff is make by Russian artisans.
Lately I found their group in facebook - facebook.com/RusVelikaia
Old Dec 24, 12, 4:43 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Since I am headed to the Pushkin Museum in a few days, I appreciate mention of the restaurant that bears his name. Is there a link or at least an address? Or is this the correct place: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...al_Russia.html

My primary question about food in Moscow, however, is whether I can find a place that serves the famous dessert known as Baked Alaska. Any chance this can be found next week?

In terms of weather, I must say I am a bit distracted by reports from friends and this story - http://rt.com/news/cold-moscow-december-russia-757/

About souvenirs, I got all I needed during my first visit to Moscow. But thanks, OP, for the thread.

Last edited by Xeno; Dec 25, 12 at 4:17 pm
Old Dec 26, 12, 9:29 am

Programs: KLM Flying Dutchman forever, bmi Diamond Club (is there a theme here?), LH, BA, EK, DL nobody
I saw Baked Alaska on the menu at Ragout 2.0 on Olimpiysky Prospekt (which is in itself one of the city's best new restaurants).

Oh, and Cafe Pushkin is over-priced and way over-rated, IMHO
Old Dec 26, 12, 9:56 am

Thanks for making this connection for me.

I think my guest wants to go to Cafe Pushkin so we'll see how things come together.
Old Jan 4, 13, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by apoivre View Post
I saw Baked Alaska on the menu at Ragout 2.0 on Olimpiysky Prospekt (which is in itself one of the city's best new restaurants).

Oh, and Cafe Pushkin is over-priced and way over-rated, IMHO
I am currently in Moscow and learned that the Ragout 2 no longer has Baked Alaska. Because it was more convenient, I went to the other Ragout and my guest and I were very happy with the meal.

So again thanks for the recommendation.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: