Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Russia
Reload this Page >

DME Airport - is it worth paying for VIP Arrival/Departure services?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2012, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Platinum, AX Cent so...Delta Plat, SPG Gold, etc..

I'm traveling solo into DME in June. I see there are VIP arrival and departure services for about $300 each way.

Are the 'normal' lines so long that this is worth it?

I'm arriving on SQ in First, I don't know if they will give me some sort of VIP thing anyway.
Old May 3, 2012, 12:52 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Let's see if the readers of the Destinations->Russia forum can help and I'll move this thread there. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old May 3, 2012, 3:12 pm

Unless you're trying to make a really tight connection or have absolutely no patience for lines, I don't think the $300 per way is worth it. Certainly not on the way out of the country when the lines are minimal. Into the country, if a number of flights get in at one time, the lines can back up. There used to be a lot of pushing and jockeying for position in front of the numerous counters, but they've recently introduced the serpentine lines that mean that everyone gets in one line. This has reduced the ability to cut or push your way to the front, and was a lot more pleasant. It's never taken me more than 15-20 minutes to get through, and that's on a bad day.

There are first class lounges at the airport, but no first class customs queue. Sometimes first class passengers are pulled from plane on separate car instead of bus, which means you would get to the lines before the rest of the passengers (if no jet bridge), but you still could be competing with those who came in on other flights.
Old May 4, 2012, 3:19 am

Programs: SU/DL/US/MR
Originally Posted by dfyant
I'm traveling solo into DME in June. I see there are VIP arrival and departure services for about $300 each way.

Are the 'normal' lines so long that this is worth it?

I'm arriving on SQ in First, I don't know if they will give me some sort of VIP thing anyway.
What VIP package is it exactly ? There are some companies who offer you the ability to go through a private customs section and also a private exit with a high end car waiting for you that will take you into Moscow. This service is nice but only if your traveling into DME during peak hours, otherwise I would just pocket the cash and just flow with the rest of them.
Old May 5, 2012, 5:35 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
DME is not bad. SVO D is not bad. I think people still have these visions in their head from the old SVO-2 (now SVO-F) days which was, admittedly, horrible. Now getting in and getting out is really not that bad. I've had longer waits at LHR and IAD lately.
Old May 5, 2012, 2:39 pm

Has anyone ever tried the VIP arrival and departure service?

My experience with DME has been this :
Most people on the plane are Russians and citizens of former soviet states.
Upon arrival at the international terminal, they have to take the escalator to go upstairs and clear immigration there. The lines can be long

But if you are not a Russian or CIS citizen, the remain on the arrival terminal lower level.

I can't remember the line having more than 5 pax at the time, and normally there are 3 more border guards. You clear immigration in minutes.

It may take much, much longer to get your bags! The SQ flight from IAH arrives at DME's peak hour.

The same is true at SVO.

I think VIP arrival services are worth it in places like Bali and Doha, but not Moscow. Unless you need to impress someone
Old May 6, 2012, 2:54 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Originally Posted by meFIRST
My experience with DME has been this :
Most people on the plane are Russians and citizens of former soviet states.
Upon arrival at the international terminal, they have to take the escalator to go upstairs and clear immigration there. The lines can be long

But if you are not a Russian or CIS citizen, the remain on the arrival terminal lower level.
It's been sort of random lately - when I got back last week, everyone was directed upstairs, both Russians and non-CIS citizens. The week before, it was as you describe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.