Reload this Page >

Aeroflot to TK transfer at SVO Questions

Old Oct 30, 10, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member

I have searched this forum and can't seem to find the exact answer. I am arriving from ARN on Aeroflot and have to connect to TK destination IST.
It appears both flights leave from Terminal F so I would not need a visa to transit SVO, but my flights are on 2 separate tickets. Is there a transfer desk that would be able to issue my SVO-IST Boarding pass? or do I need to get a transit visa and exit to the checkin area for TK?
Thanks in advance
Old Nov 1, 10, 7:43 am

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
Originally Posted by rolov View Post
I am arriving from ARN on Aeroflot and have to connect to TK destination IST.
I seriously doubt you will be allowed to board your flight to Moscow. To the GA your final destination is Russia and you do not have Russian visa and your passport. This is a very legitimate reason to deny boarding unless you are lucky to bump into a very friendly and understanding GA.
I would say you still have a chance to make it in case you do not have any luggage to check-in.
If you do, get a Russian visa (expensive but won't take long). They are not allowed to check-through the luggage on 2 seperate PNRs, so you will be required to clear immigration and customs once in SVO and then to check-in for your next leg.
Old Nov 1, 10, 9:43 am

Programs: DL DM & 1.83MM
I would think you could do it if TK allowed on-line check-in from SVO, but unfortunately (according to its web page) it does not. That will complicate your task as it was my impression that the SVO transit counter did not issue boarding passes.

However, the official site for SVO (http://svo.aero/en/transit/rules/) seems to imply that all you need is a confirmed ticket and a confirmed seat. I would recommend clearing this with the Russian embassy in Stockholm in advance and arriving at ARN armed with as much printed confirmation as possible.

Good luck ... please do report back!
Old Nov 2, 10, 3:32 am

SVO transfer desk does issue boarding passes and getting a BP won't be an issue (at the end of the day they can issue a BP right at the gate should need be). Like I said even if the topic starter does OLCI for both flights the main challenges will be (a) to check-through the luggage to his final destination and (b) convincing GA in ARN Moscow is not his final destination.
While b is possible (with a good share of luck), a is a definite no - SU doesn't check luggage through to the destination on a different PNR.
Old Nov 3, 10, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for feedback
The SVO site is where I got my info:
Foreign citizens waiting for their connecting flight are allowed to stay at Sheremetyevo Airport up to 24 hours without a valid Russian visa. The passenger should have a ticket of the relevant airline with confirmed seating for the relevant connecting flights.

International transit passengers whose transfer requires their stay at Sheremetyevo Airport in excess of 24 hours, may obtain a Russian transit visa at the airport (upon presentation of their connecting flight tickets and valid IDs). The consular officer on duty is available at Sheremetyevo every day from 6:00 a.m. through 1:00 a.m. The consular officer can be reached at (+7 495) 971-20-82. We strongly recommend you should inquire about obtaining a Russian transit visa well in advance at the Russian Consulate or Embassy in your country.
I will not have checked luggage so that will not be a problem, but I am worried about the staff at ARN not letting me board.
Old Nov 4, 10, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by rolov View Post
Thanks for feedback
The SVO site is where I got my info:

I will not have checked luggage so that will not be a problem, but I am worried about the staff at ARN not letting me board.
E-mail their local and central offices with this question ([email protected] and [email protected] respectively), print the answer which suits you out and have it on you when boarding the plane. IF GA starts giving you hard time (and he/she most likely will) ask for SU representative and show their office response to him/her (provided at least one of the responses is positive).
Old Nov 11, 10, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by luitje View Post
E-mail their local and central offices with this question ([email protected] and [email protected] respectively), print the answer which suits you out and have it on you when boarding the plane. IF GA starts giving you hard time (and he/she most likely will) ask for SU representative and show their office response to him/her (provided at least one of the responses is positive).
Thanks
Old Dec 3, 10, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Update - Transfer successful

Just an update in case anyone needs to do this.
I checked in at EWR for EWR-ARN-SVO SAS printed out one BP for
EWR-ARN-SVO, arrived in ARN had to be shuttled to a special area where Aeroflot operates from and I was stuck in a small INTL gate area for a few hours with not much to do.
Boarding Aeroflot, I only showed them the itinerary SVO-IST-HKG and they barely looked at it. I also had a print out from SVO about Visa free transit.
Arrived at SVO went to transfer desk, they asked me if I had luggage and I told them no, and they issued me some piece of paper that said "Aeroflot Transfer", and advised me to go thru the special passport check and go downstairs and walk to F terminal transfer desk where TK could issue a boarding pass.
I walked from what I believe was D, thru the new E terminal and found the F transfer desk, there are 2. The one TK uses is a Transfer Office behind wooded doors where they printed my SVO-IST-HKG boarding passes and issued me an invitation to lounge.
Old Jan 29, 11, 4:10 am

Programs: AA DL UA SU
Thanks. This is good information to know.
Old Jan 23, 20, 9:57 pm

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM
I assume this still works (transiting / transferring in SVO with change of airline, using the transit desk to recheck baggage-- in my case, AF to SU, Skyteam partners booked separately)?

Search this Thread