Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Russia-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

any recent Aeroflot experience in J or F?

Old Oct 24, 04, 1:42 am
Original Poster

From HKG, Aeroflot is advertising very good fares in J or F. There're very few reports on them here, and most are horrible (and date back a few years). Any recent experience from HKG in J or F? Their website contains nothing useful: nothing on seat pitch, width, recline, etc., and nothing period, really.

They're flying 767 to/from HKG and have recently started code-sharing with CX. Not sure if miles can be credited to Asia Miles or are elite-qualifying - I'll check with CX on this.
Old Oct 26, 04, 10:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold A3 Gold IB Plata
I read an article several months ago about how they had hired an outside firm (american or british I think) to help them reinvent themselves as a world-class airline. Everything from the logo and uniform to catering, interiors, and staff training were being completely rebooted.

I have no idea where in the process they are or if any of this will mean a change for the better.
Old Oct 28, 04, 3:15 am

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
trust me it's good ;-)

please let me know if I can answer your qustions - but be more specific ;-)
Old Nov 3, 04, 9:06 am

Programs: BA S, A3 *G, SPG P, IHG Plat, Marriott Lt P, Hilton Gld, etc.
Originally Posted by sfvoyage

They're flying 767 to/from HKG and have recently started code-sharing with CX. Not sure if miles can be credited to Asia Miles or are elite-qualifying - I'll check with CX on this.
you could get asia miles if you'll buy ticket with CX flight number on this codeshare, otherwise you will get aeroflot bonus miles (not sure if they are of use for you).
Aeroflot could be survived quite easily if you are ok with FA's "Indifferent" approach... the only caveat if you will get a plane full with Russian tourists during new year season - that will be disaster.
Old Nov 3, 04, 9:53 am

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Here's the answer to all your questions:
http://www.thetravelinsider.info/2003/0822.htm

Every Flyertalker should be signed up to the TravelInsiders newsletter every Friday morning - it's a great read!
Old Nov 22, 04, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA1P, SK S, BA B, SPG G, Hyatt G, HH G, HM Revenue & Customs Lifetime MilkCow Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by GoldCircle

Every Flyertalker should be signed up to the TravelInsiders newsletter every Friday morning - it's a great read!
Thanks for this - it is broadly in line with my own experiences.

In-flight service is indifferent - say, similar to Continental on a bad day. The true horror lies in ground handling and in anything that has to do with SVO airport.

SVO is a sheer, unmitigated horror; and the fact that SU flies from this stinking dark toilet severely undermines the prospects of SU as a world-class airline.
Old Nov 22, 04, 3:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold A3 Gold IB Plata
Originally Posted by GoldCircle
With the exception of the extra fork, this sounds almost exactly like my last KLM flight.
Old Nov 22, 04, 4:21 pm

Programs: FB-Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by alanw
With the exception of the extra fork, this sounds almost exactly like my last KLM flight.
That doesn't sound reassuring. And reading the report on inside flyer it wasn't. If you want a very good HKG F-rate take BA ex. LIS.
Old Nov 26, 04, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RussianGuy
please let me know if I can answer your qustions - but be more specific ;-)
As in my OP, I'm mainly interested in knowing about the F or J seat: pitch, width, and degrees of recline.

Thanks to everyone who answered. I didn't know I had gotten any responses until I came on this board just now. I used to get automatic email notices when someone responds to my post, but I guess that feature must have been disconnected recently (or with the new home page?).

In any case, I found the Travel Insider article on Google and agree that it doesn't offer much confidence.

I paid a visit to the Aeroflot office in HK, thinking they'd be best equipped to answer my question. Well, I was wrong. The office door was closed with a note directing people down the hall to their ticketing agent office (not Aeroflot staff). I asked for seat info, and they went to the back looking for information. After ten minutes, they could only produce a worldwide timetable. They then went online (www.aeroflot.ru) to show me a sample menu but no seat info. They told me to go online later to enquire, which I did. (By the way, that office smelled terrible due to second hand smoke.)

A few days later, I got a curt email reply instructing me to contact their HK office directly. I responded by saying I had, and that their HK office had directed me to them. Of course, I haven't heard from them since.

I doubt I'd fly with them at any price.
Old Dec 14, 04, 2:29 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Give it a try

I flew SU LHR-SVO in J last week, as an alternative to BA CE. SU was also only approximately 55% of the price. Based on my experience, I will be flying SU more frequently, particularly as I discovered today that 2 J returns earn enough Aeroflot Bonus points for a RT SVO-HEL, and 3 J returns earns enough for a RT LHR-SVO. Try that on BA!

LHR-SVO, SU242
Check-in at LHR is T2. The lounge is shared with AF, among others. While not up to the level of a BA Terraces lounge, it was quite adequate for a short wait. It was bright and well-spaced (i.e., not crowded even when reasonably full). The newspaper supply on a Sunday still included the weekend FT, IHT and a number of English and French papers. Lounge: BA, slightly

The aircraft is a new A321, configured with 28 seats in J. Seating is 2-2; the seats are large and leather covered, with footrests. Tray tables are in the armrest. Seats have adjustable seats and lumbar supports, in addition to significant recline (I'm not sure how many degrees, but it was definitely far more than CE on BA). Seat: SU, by a lot

Service began with hot towels and tablecloths. This was followed by beverage service and a snack mix of nuts and dried fruit (excellent, much better than the salty nuggets BA offers). Wine, champagne and even hard liquor was served from the bottle. The wine was quite good, equivalent to the best I have had on BA CE. Beverages: Even

The meal was a choice of three entrees: fish, pork or chicken(?). I selected the salmon. The preparation was Russian-themed (fish, a little sauce, potatoes), but quite acceptable. It was noticeably less salty than what BA generally serves. Rolls and [Russian] brown bread are also served, as well as dessert and a small piece of cheese. Tea and coffee service follows, as well as a small hazlenut chocolate. ^ Food: Even - BA has far better cheese and more flavorful food, but only through the addition of massive quantities of salt; the chocolate is a nice touch

The SU FAs were quite willing to provide extra glasses of water when asked, and even in a large enough size to be useful (I find the BA CE glasses are miniscule for water). The FAs also were helpful about passing out arrival cards (BA FAs are often clueless arriving in Moscow). SVO is incurable, but at least in J one beats the queues at entry.

SU247, SVO-LHR
On a Friday night before a holiday weekend traffic out to SVO was horrible--100 minutes from just south of the Kremlin. I was among the last passengers to check-in, 70 minutes before departure. Normalky plenty of time, but this IS SVO. Passport control looked to have interminable lines, until I (and about 50 others) saw that a few agents on the opposite side were opening. We rushed under the railings to form an impromptu queue. While it gradually became more ordered, I had a few amusing moments listening to the Russian couple behind me discuss how disorderly the line was. This is a discussion I would expect to hear in the US or UK, but not in Russia! Airport: BA- but not by as much as most believe (I think the competition has been good for SVO).

Due to the general delays, I skipped the lounge--boarding was called almost immediately after I cleared passport control, though of course no one made any effort to even open the gate for another 15 minutes.

The aircraft was the same configuration as on the outbound, and service and food were generally similar (though the fish was even blander--should have ordered the chicken). Food choices were fish, beef or chicken. The wine, however, was again very good. The chocolate was presented almost immediately following the meal, instead of after a short delay.

Summary
I was favorably impressed. SVO and somwhat blander food are the only downsides, but at 870 return and a significantly better seat as compared to 1650+ on BA I'll put up with it.

As an added benefit, the flights posted in two business days to my Aeroflot Bonus account. On BA 80+% of the time I must write a letter to AAdvantage requesting credit, despite cards being presented, number being printed on boarding pass, etc.

Last edited by chalf; Dec 14, 04 at 3:41 pm
Old Apr 13, 06, 8:43 pm

Aeroflot

I'm going to Delhi on Aeroflot on July 1st from IAD to SVO, and then SVO to Delhi. How is the service on Aeroflot in business class? I'm aware of the new seats on the Boeing 767's. I'm also aware that Delhi is serviced by a Russian aircraft IL 96. Does anyone know if the new business class seats have been installed on the IL 96 aircraft yet? Also how is the food service?

So far I have been happy with Aeroflot from having to call the 800 number to get my seats selected via an agent. Delta couldn't get confirm me on Business class from SVO to DEL, but when I called Aeroflot the agent gave me a Business class seat from SVO to DEL over the phone. (The SVO to DEL was the only segment I didn't have Business class). The Agent confirmed in seat 8C which from looking at the IL-96 seat map on Aeroflot's web page is in Business class.

I was very surprised that Aeroflot would put me in business class as when ever I've had this problem of having a business class ticket, and having one segment in coach all the other sky team partners always tell me you have to call Delta to get the seat in Business class.

Thanks
Old Apr 14, 06, 2:35 am
NoY

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Wyndham Diamond, EY Gold, QR, CX, SQ
Originally Posted by Andrius
Thanks for this - it is broadly in line with my own experiences.

In-flight service is indifferent - say, similar to Continental on a bad day. The true horror lies in ground handling and in anything that has to do with SVO airport.

SVO is a sheer, unmitigated horror; and the fact that SU flies from this stinking dark toilet severely undermines the prospects of SU as a world-class airline.
similar to Contnental???!!! boy, sorry to hear you that must have had baaaad luck with them - I have NEVER had a negative with them - in 5 years - now AAnother AAmerican carrier - that's AAnother story
Old Apr 14, 06, 5:36 am

Programs: KLM Flying Dutchman forever, bmi Diamond Club (is there a theme here?), LH, BA, EK, DL nobody
Just a quick note to remind everyone that effective today, you can earn miles for flying SU in all the ST programs. (And SVO-HKG is considered one of the Aeroflot's better flights, servicewise. Now, SVO-DEL might be an altogether different story)
Old Dec 25, 06, 11:18 am

I'm looking to fly to HKG from LHR and the SU business class fares are much cheaper than any other airline. The flight from LHR to SVO is on an Airbus A321 and the SVO to HKG flight is on a 767-300.

The LHR HKG flight is a night flight. How comfortable would the A321 be for a night flight. Also what are the transfer services like at SVO (and what is the lounge there like).

Thanks!!

Last edited by theworld; Dec 25, 06 at 11:37 am
Old Dec 25, 06, 9:15 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by theworld View Post
I'm looking to fly to HKG from LHR and the SU business class fares are much cheaper than any other airline. The flight from LHR to SVO is on an Airbus A321 and the SVO to HKG flight is on a 767-300.

The LHR HKG flight is a night flight. How comfortable would the A321 be for a night flight. Also what are the transfer services like at SVO (and what is the lounge there like).

Thanks!!
1. The A321 used on the LHR-SVO overnight is the standard SU medium-haul configuration. The seats in J are similar to domestic F in the US, which is to say significantly better than CE on BA but of course not long-haul J. The food is adequate (on that flight, usually some sort of vegetables and fish doused in cheese) and the service generally reasonably good. On the four hour flight I can usually sleep about two hours, which is 1.5 hours more than on the BA overnight flight to MOW.

2. The SU lounge at SVO is functional. Nothing special, but it is far, far superior to waiting in the main terminal/departure area. Note that as of last week the restrooms in the lounge were closed for reconstruction.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: