Wiki Posts
Search

What’s with all the 7700s

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2022, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP
What’s with all the 7700s

I have my Flightradar24 set to alert me whenever a plane “squawks” 7700 (a hangover from when mr pants was still flying a lot)

over the last couple of weeks I’ve noticed the bulk (c90%) of 7700s have been Russian based airplanes

anyone know what gives?
Old Mar 14, 2022, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
A way to circumvent airspace closures?
Old Mar 15, 2022, 4:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
A way to circumvent airspace closures?
I did wonder about that but it’s a lot of truly domestic flights that are already rerouting well away from any kind of foreign territory

My best guess is that they’re having issues with fuel load but if so it’s approaching systemic?
Old Mar 15, 2022, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by nancypants
I did wonder about that but it’s a lot of truly domestic flights that are already rerouting well away from any kind of foreign territory

My best guess is that they’re having issues with fuel load but if so it’s approaching systemic?
Interesting.... Am fresh out of suggestions.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 7:20 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
what 7700 mean ? is it a code call used by pilots when flying ??
Old Mar 15, 2022, 9:05 am

Are they really squawking 7700? Could be an issue with how FR24 collects data? I am a little surprised that Russia is allowing them to share data at all.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 9:38 am

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by fifty_two
what 7700 mean ? is it a code call used by pilots when flying ??
Every plane has a "transponder" which is an electronic device for very simple, two-way, basic data communication between the plane and radar systems. Radar/ATC systems "interrogate" the plane (via a signal that essentially says, "give me your info"), the plane responds by transmitting some basic data -- a specific 4-digit numeric code (which the pilot sets), plus some basic data about the plane (it's position, it's altitude, it's ID, etc.). The data exchange typically takes place every few seconds (depends on location -- some regions have minimal coverage). All of this takes place in the background, it's automatic, once the transponder is turned on and set up.

Most of the time, aircraft are assigned a specific "squawk" code by ATC (the term "squawk" comes from the early days of the technology; when transponders were first used, pilots referred to them as "the parrot"); pilot sets the squawk code and lets it do it's thing. The code is changed from time to time based on instructions from ATC. There are a few other "generic" codes for specific situations -- for example, 1200 is the code for aircraft not using the ATC "system", by choice (for example, a small Cessna out flying around for fun on a nice day, where there isn't a lot of other air traffic, far from any big busy airports). 7600 is the code to enter if you are (or were) talking to ATC but you've lost communications.

7700 is the generic transponder code for "emergency". I suppose this might be a quiet, discreet form of protest by Russian pilots, making a statement about what's happening to their country.

While many Russians believe the government propaganda about the war in Ukraine (typically the older generation, and folks who only get their news from state TV), many are dismayed by recent events and some dare to protest against the war and the direction of the country (often, but not always, it's the younger generation, and those who have access to international news sources and unblocked internet). I would expect some Russian pilots fall into both categories -- just like anywhere, opinions are divided. Unlike most places, in Russia you immediately get arrested if you hint at holding a view that questions the government policy. Protesting is pretty dangerous there.

I'd like to think that Russian pilots squawking 7700 is their way of telling the world that they don't agree with what their government is doing. Like flying a flag upside down.

OTOH, it could be that they just don't have any assigned code or a more appropriate one to use, and they do have to pick some number. But alarm bells should go off if any plane is squawking 7700 (at least where I live). So if this is a political "statement" then people working the Russian ATC system must be in on the "joke" too or have some understanding to ignore it (which is not a safe practice....see "the boy who cried wolf" et all...)

I guess I prefer to be more hopeful, and I choose to see this as a sign that many Russian pilots oppose the direction their country has chosen, and this is their small way of broadcasting that opinion, in case anyone (other than their government) is watching.

ETA: One Russian pilot's not-exactly subtle opinion: "The war in Ukraine is a crime, we must stop it immediately"...
From DailyMail.com: Russian commercial pilot announces after flight lands that 'the war in Ukraine is a crime, we must stop it immediately' - to rapturous applause from passengers
Cajones, brother. Squawk 7700, wishing you blue skies and tailwinds.

Last edited by nwflyboy; Mar 15, 2022 at 10:21 am
Old Mar 15, 2022, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

It’s not like they’re squawking it the whole way. It changes in flight- for example the attached captured roughly at the point of squawking 7700 (note weird routing)

pick a Pobeda operated (Bermuda registered) plane in the same general vicinity today (DP1192) and it’s currently squawking 1002

Not sure whether Fr24 would be open to blocking the transponders of an entire country’s fleet? And that’s before they even get into the leased aircraft that are registered elsewhere. My understanding is it’s done on an aircraft by aircraft basis

it strikes me as a genuine distress call on this basis. However I don’t know (obvs)
Old Mar 15, 2022, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Interestingly live ATC has a bunch of Russian ATC feeds that are “up”, my Russian is probably not up to scratch for tuning into domestic air traffic these days (I assume they won’t be speaking English? Dunno), but for someone with skills and time on their hands could produce some answers
Old Mar 16, 2022, 11:23 pm

Is there a way to search for a specific transponder code on FR24? it is definitely not normal to have so many of those. Unless Russians have gone their own way here and just treat the 7xxx codes as normal, assignable codes?

As for blocking the data - I'm not sure how they get data from Russia. Any feed from ATC radar should be easy to block from the Russian side. ADS-B receivers would be easier, although Russia could block access to FR24 to prevent data from being sent.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 4:28 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by milski
As for blocking the data - I'm not sure how they get data from Russia. Any feed from ATC radar should be easy to block from the Russian side. ADS-B receivers would be easier, although Russia could block access to FR24 to prevent data from being sent.
There's so much truth to hide, and only so many hours in a day. They're blocking an awful lot now. Maybe the Russians who block things just have their hands full.
milski and nancypants like this.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 3:38 am
Original Poster

Situation appears to have escalated today for some reason

Any insight?
pants mentioned it might have something to do with GPS blocking?
Old Oct 14, 2023, 12:22 pm

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Some trolls playing with FR24. The pilots did not squak 7700.
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.