Wiki Posts
Search

SU large cash surcharges

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2021, 4:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Avios, Miles & More, Aeroflot
SU large cash surcharges

Not sure if i'm doing this wrong, but today when I searched LHR-SVO-LHR to book with miles, there are hefty cash surcharges on each flight. In economy optimum (baggage included) a regular cash fare would be £357, but after paying 30k miles it would still cost £260. The surcharges are not much higher in business so that's better value, but I'd rather save a business redemption for an overnight.

I just went on aeroflot.ru and ran a normal search, so maybe there's a better way to use miles? Sure I was able to use some 3 years ago with almost nothing to pay though.

Trying to decide if it's worth a miles run to stop my 75k SU miles expiring at the end of the year. Any ideas for a cheap one, ideally from Dublin? If I'm flying actual SU, would have to be from London after Christmas.

Last edited by chaikhosi; Oct 2, 2021 at 4:49 am Reason: typo
Old Oct 5, 2021, 9:59 am

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
I don't think its SU - its more the United Kingdom. Its not so bad from other markets.. You should see what some of the surcharges area for British Airways and Virgin for London departures. If I'm not mistaken SU operates a DUB-MOW route no? Or Maybe that was S7
Old Oct 5, 2021, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Avios, Miles & More, Aeroflot
Yeah actually the award ticket I had in 2018 was starting from Paris, so I think you're right. Aeroflot DUB-SVO is still operating but just once a week over Saturday night since Covid. I'm not super keen on that timing when it's just a 4 hour flight.

Newbie question, but am I likely to be able to get Aeroflot miles from an Air France or KLM routing within the EU that can't be booked as an SU ticket? All Skyteam but it's unclear if that's enough.

Originally Posted by OpenSky
I don't think its SU - its more the United Kingdom. Its not so bad from other markets.. You should see what some of the surcharges area for British Airways and Virgin for London departures. If I'm not mistaken SU operates a DUB-MOW route no? Or Maybe that was S7
Old Oct 7, 2021, 2:00 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Originally Posted by chaikhosi

Newbie question, but am I likely to be able to get Aeroflot miles from an Air France or KLM routing within the EU that can't be booked as an SU ticket? All Skyteam but it's unclear if that's enough.
Yes you will be able to get SU miles , however you need to check the booking class before purchase , cause the flights might not be qualifying

how you do that ?? check details of the booking at the end , usually its the first letter , then compare with the charts = https://www.aeroflot.ru/partners/airlines
Old Oct 27, 2021, 7:43 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA CK, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum, Avis Presidents
It does look like Aeroflot has some relatively high fees/fuel surcharges with respect to flights on its own metal. However it also seems that Aeroflot no longer chargers ANY fuel surcharges for Air France and/or KLM flights so those have become super competitive redemption options - much better than redeeming with FlyingBlue (because of the fuel surcharges) and for many fewer miles than with Delta.

Additionally, it seems that one can purchase Aeroflot Bonus miles through ClipperMiles.com at an attractive rate making Aeroflot rewards and SkyTeam rewards very attractive. I know I have been buying ClipperMiles and redeeming them for rewards without issue - seems to be a better option than LifeMiles currently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.