Vouchers from Aeroflot?

Old Apr 13, 20, 12:56 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 15
Vouchers from Aeroflot?

US Citizen. I'm slated to fly one way from Tashkent to Tallin at the end of July from what was supposed to be a 3 month trip. That trip, for now, is dead. Does anyone know if Aeroflot is offering any kind of voucher for nonrefundable flights? I'm not expecting a refund at this point and I really *do* want to go to Russia and Central Asia as soon as it's safe to do so--but it be nice if I could get some flex on where and when I fly. Anyone hear anything?
northinsouth is offline  
Old Apr 14, 20, 8:39 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: PVG, FRA, SEA, HEL
Programs: UA Premier Gold
Posts: 4,035
Why don't you wait until Mid-July? It's likely that Aeroflot may cancel your flights at short notice either way.
warakorn is offline  
Old Apr 14, 20, 8:46 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by warakorn View Post
Why don't you wait until Mid-July? It's likely that Aeroflot may cancel your flights at short notice either way.
I suspect you're right. Just my impatient self wanting to reformat my travel plans.
northinsouth is offline  
Old Apr 21, 20, 3:03 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: WAW and DUS
Programs: Gold: Flying blue / Silver: Club Accor
Posts: 1,090
Originally Posted by northinsouth View Post
fly one way from Tashkent to Tallin a Anyone hear anything?
Hi

check the website of aeroflot for any official informations

Some websites/newspapers stated that aeroflot stopped selling tickets for flights until august = Aeroflot cancels all international flights until August

But , these are not official announcements and not cancellations.

Most probably the authorities of Russia , Uzbekistan or Estonia will cancel flights or block foreigners/non-residents to enter their territory, therefore your booking will be cancelled automatically , so as warakorn said , better to wait and see how situation will evolve

Keep an eye on the news from these 3 countries , their airports and also the the schedules of these flights TAS-SVO-TLL

If your flights are concerned by any changes, you will receive sms and emails , assuming you provided these during booking

Last edited by fifty_two; Apr 21, 20 at 3:13 am
fifty_two is offline  
Old Apr 26, 20, 2:14 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 4
I'm in a similar position as you. I have round trip tickets from Berlin to Tokyo with a layover in Moscow with a July departure and return of the beginning of August.

As it stands now, as the person above me mentioned, Aeroflot has stopped selling tickets up until the beginning of August. So more than likely, my departure flight to Tokyo will be cancelled..

What are my options here? At this point, I would just like a refund on the ticket I paid. I called Aeroflot and they said that I should wait until it gets closer to the departure date to request anything. How should I handle this?
classof100 is offline  
Old Apr 28, 20, 5:40 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: WAW and DUS
Programs: Gold: Flying blue / Silver: Club Accor
Posts: 1,090
Originally Posted by classof100 View Post
So more than likely, my departure flight to Tokyo will be cancelled..
Yes and ... No ! Not selling tickets doesnt mean they won't operate

Originally Posted by classof100 View Post
What are my options here? At this point, I would just like a refund on the ticket I paid. I called Aeroflot and they said that I should wait until it gets closer to the departure date to request anything. How should I handle this?
As aeroflot customer service mentionned , stay in touch by reading the news regarding flights . If flights are in fact cancelled and its not possible to fly, then either you can rebook at another date or ask for vouchers or refunds
fifty_two is offline  
Old May 31, 20, 9:38 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: ATL
Posts: 8
I can share my experience. I bought tickets on Aeroflot through Expedia (online OTA). My itinerary was outbound from JFK-SVO on May 21 and return SVO-JFK on May 31. I assumed in April that the flights would not occur but waited to see what Aeroflot would do because my tickets were non-refundable. On May 1, Aeroflot cancelled all international flights in May. Specifically regarding my itinerary, they cancelled my outbound flight JFK-SVO. They moved my return flight, SVO-JFK, to June 1 and had not cancelled any June flights at that time. Nor had they rebooked me on the outbound leg, so I have no idea how they expected to fly me home from SVO on June 1 when they declined to fly me to SVO in the first place.

I called the airline directly for a refund, and was told that Expedia needed to request a refund. Expedia wouldn't help me until within 10 days of my departure. The wait times to speak over the phone with an Expedia customer service rep were very long in early May, so I used the online chat feature. The person (or bot?) I was chatting with said that they submitted a request via email for a refund and that I should receive a response in 3 business days. After 4 business days and no response, I tried the chat again, and was given the same plan. This past Friday May 29 was business day 4, so I called and waited almost 3 hours on the phone for an Expedia customer service rep. That person reviewed the situation and said that Aeroflot was rejecting my request for a refund with no explanation, and that Expedia couldn't do anything to appeal.

The Expedia agent did say that Aeroflot offered that I can use the full value of my ticket, including fees, plus an extra 15%, but I have to make a booking by 30 December this year. The traveler cannot change (I can't 'give' the ticket value to anyone else) and my departure country can't change. However I can change my destination. The Expedia agent said that I had to actually take the re-booked flight by 30 April 2021. I will have to make the booking via Expedia again because Expedia holds the ticket value on my behalf.

My guess is that OP's flights will be cancelled or drastically altered as mine were, closer to the departure date. My guess is also that like me, OP will not get a refund and will have to make sure they have enough information to use the ticket value at a later time.

Good luck and safe travels everyone!
JojaFlyer is offline  
Old May 31, 20, 1:20 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 23,010
Originally Posted by JojaFlyer View Post
I can share my experience. I bought tickets on Aeroflot through Expedia (online OTA). My itinerary was outbound from JFK-SVO on May 21 and return SVO-JFK on May 31. I assumed in April that the flights would not occur but waited to see what Aeroflot would do because my tickets were non-refundable. On May 1, Aeroflot cancelled all international flights in May. Specifically regarding my itinerary, they cancelled my outbound flight JFK-SVO. They moved my return flight, SVO-JFK, to June 1 and had not cancelled any June flights at that time. Nor had they rebooked me on the outbound leg, so I have no idea how they expected to fly me home from SVO on June 1 when they declined to fly me to SVO in the first place.

I called the airline directly for a refund, and was told that Expedia needed to request a refund. Expedia wouldn't help me until within 10 days of my departure. The wait times to speak over the phone with an Expedia customer service rep were very long in early May, so I used the online chat feature. The person (or bot?) I was chatting with said that they submitted a request via email for a refund and that I should receive a response in 3 business days. After 4 business days and no response, I tried the chat again, and was given the same plan. This past Friday May 29 was business day 4, so I called and waited almost 3 hours on the phone for an Expedia customer service rep. That person reviewed the situation and said that Aeroflot was rejecting my request for a refund with no explanation, and that Expedia couldn't do anything to appeal.

The Expedia agent did say that Aeroflot offered that I can use the full value of my ticket, including fees, plus an extra 15%, but I have to make a booking by 30 December this year. The traveler cannot change (I can't 'give' the ticket value to anyone else) and my departure country can't change. However I can change my destination. The Expedia agent said that I had to actually take the re-booked flight by 30 April 2021. I will have to make the booking via Expedia again because Expedia holds the ticket value on my behalf.

My guess is that OP's flights will be cancelled or drastically altered as mine were, closer to the departure date. My guess is also that like me, OP will not get a refund and will have to make sure they have enough information to use the ticket value at a later time.

Good luck and safe travels everyone!
Why didnt you open a compliant with DOT? I did . True nothing has come of it yet, and I dont anything will until SU starts flying back into The US, but at least its on record and I plan on going to Small Claims as well, whenever they reopen
craz is offline  
Old Jun 10, 20, 1:26 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: BOS
Posts: 436
DoT should be enough. From my experience with SU if the DoT gets involved they fold quickly, and DoT has issued pretty clear guidance about cash refunds. My spouse also has (had?) an award flight from JFK to SVO that got canceled for now, but we might go later this year. If not, might have to escalate to DoT to get fees refunded (bis class, ~$250 in fees).
DiMAn0684 is offline  
Old Jun 10, 20, 7:48 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: ATL
Posts: 8
I’ve never taken a complaint to the DoT. Thank you for the suggestion! We wouldn’t mind taking the trip we had planned for last month but if that doesn’t seem likely I def)nicely want to get the money back.
JojaFlyer is offline  
Old Jun 11, 20, 10:29 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 23,010
Originally Posted by DiMAn0684 View Post
DoT should be enough. From my experience with SU if the DoT gets involved they fold quickly, and DoT has issued pretty clear guidance about cash refunds. My spouse also has (had?) an award flight from JFK to SVO that got canceled for now, but we might go later this year. If not, might have to escalate to DoT to get fees refunded (bis class, ~$250 in fees).

Disagree SU replied to me and DOT well over a month aga, a follow up with SU got a reply they are very backed up = since they arent flying INTL now especially to The US they have nothing to lose by simply doing nothing. I imagine things will change a couple of weeks before they plan to resume their US flights, which isnt till 8/20 at best

But it still makes sens eto file the DOT complaint so as to be on record and to get the Refund ASAP once they decide to start issuing them
craz is offline  
Old Jun 11, 20, 11:23 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: BOS
Posts: 436
Originally Posted by craz View Post
Disagree SU replied to me and DOT well over a month aga, a follow up with SU got a reply they are very backed up = since they arent flying INTL now especially to The US they have nothing to lose by simply doing nothing. I imagine things will change a couple of weeks before they plan to resume their US flights, which isnt till 8/20 at best

But it still makes sens eto file the DOT complaint so as to be on record and to get the Refund ASAP once they decide to start issuing them
What did they reply with? My DoT / SU experience is from a year-ish ago, so could be really backed up. CC chargeback is also an option if you paid with US credit card.
DiMAn0684 is offline  
Old Jun 11, 20, 5:16 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 23,010
Originally Posted by DiMAn0684 View Post
What did they reply with? My DoT / SU experience is from a year-ish ago, so could be really backed up. CC chargeback is also an option if you paid with US credit card.
When I wasnt getting where with CT, and SU wouldnt talk to me since theres an YA involved, I simply files with DOT. Apx 1 month after doing so I got the email from DOT that they will look into it. Then bingo Chases attitude completely changes and an email from SU says they will be back in touch shortly.

Well a month passes and no word from SU, so I treached out to both the DOT rep and SU. SU replied they were sorry and had hoped to have dealt with it by now but are very much back-logged = my take since we arent flying Intl and especially not to The US, time is on our side and we dont need to do anything for the time being. My take is once SU decdides it wants to restart US flights it will take care of everything, but till then nothing
JojaFlyer likes this.
craz is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: