Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Russia-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Ural Airlines U6 178 (ZIA-SIP) - forced landing into cornfield after bird strikes

Ural Airlines U6 178 (ZIA-SIP) - forced landing into cornfield after bird strikes

Old Aug 15, 19, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum

Two separate bird strikes upon takeoff disabled both engines at 750ft. Plane was forced to land in a cornfield about 3mi away. It's pretty amazing that there wasn't a fire or catastrophic hull loss and everyone survived (23 minor injuries reported).

Video of takeoff and bird strikes

Video of forced landing
Old Aug 15, 19, 9:51 am

Great job by those pilots.
Old Aug 15, 19, 4:21 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
According to the BBC there were some fairly serious injuries. The video on this page is pretty harrowing:

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-eu...-land-in-field
Old Aug 15, 19, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

avherald.com report---->Accident: Ural A321 at Moscow on Aug 15th 2019, bird strike into both engines forces landing in corn field
JDiver likes this.
Old Aug 16, 19, 1:24 pm

Programs: BA Silver; LH FTL, IHG Spire; Hertz 5*
Grateful as I am that somebody decided to film this, I can't help thinking they'd have had a better time of it if they'd adopted the brace position instead...
PVDtoDEL and JDiver like this.
Old Aug 17, 19, 10:34 am

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
Originally Posted by Deltus View Post
Grateful as I am that somebody decided to film this, I can't help thinking they'd have had a better time of it if they'd adopted the brace position instead...
Open to be wrong but it appears the situation developed so rapidly that the cockpit didn't have time to give a heads-up to the cabin crew and no one in the cabin seemed to have realized things were going south until the final moments of the flight.
JDiver likes this.
Old Aug 18, 19, 6:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Close to full passenger and fuel loads, landed gear up in a wet cornfield. Absolutely amazing piloting during a rapidly changing situation.

Search this Thread