New Russian Airport Names

Old Jun 1, 2019, 2:02 am
Original Poster

New Russian Airport Names

From today's Moscow Times:

Airports in dozens of Russian cities will now bear the names of their famous residents after President Vladimir Putin issued a decree on the name change Friday.

Here’s a look at some of the newly minted names of some of Russia's most popular airports. Hopefully, this will help you avoid confusion if you see “Pushkin Airport” instead of Sheremetyevo when you book your next ticket to Moscow.

I dont know about the rest of you, but I'm going to have difficulty remembering that DME is Lomonosov and not Tupolov, for example.

Hopefully they wont change airport codes also...
Old Jun 1, 2019, 4:06 am

Given that Ho Chi Minh city is still SGN, and Beijing is still PEK I suspect you have little to worry about...

I must say though I'm pleased to see Alexander Pokryshkin commemorated in this way... 3 times "Hero of the Soviet Union", 59 kills (2nd highest scoring Soviet pilot of WW2) and more importantly a man who trained many other Soviet pilots so successfully. Thirty pilots who first saw action under his tutelage became "Heroes of the Soviet Union".... Six of them were awarded it twice. Those 30 destroyed more than 500 German aircraft between them. Yes, WW2 was a long time ago... but it is hardly surprising the Russians refuse to forget it. They are not the only ones of course... When I flew Norwegian I was equally impressed that one of their aircraft carried the image of Max Manus on the tail, a hero of the Norwegian resistance.....
Old Jun 4, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Its just another way to F with people's brains. I assume this costs money also, and in my opinion quite unnecessary.
For what purpose?
Old Jun 5, 2019, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I was speaking with a Russian colleague during a break the other day. There has been the possibility for residents in the local areas of the airports to propose and vote on names for the airports. Many of the smaller regional airports (not on this list) have ended up with names of people only really known in that region.

It seems Sheremetyevo has become A S Pushkin Sheremetyevo International Airport (Международный аэропорт Шереметьево имени А. С. Пушкина) so I am not sure the original names will go away. For now at least.

Tegel Airport in Berlin is named Otto Lilienthal, though no one ever uses that name. Might end up the same way here.
trooper likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by OpenSky
Its just another way to F with people's brains. I assume this costs money also, and in my opinion quite unnecessary.
For what purpose?
To honour and commemorate people deemed worthy of commemoration perhaps? Unnecessary in YOUR opinion? well... OK. I note both ZRH and LUX (your bases?) do NOT carry such titles... but I suspect you ARE aware many airports in a great many countries do....
Old Jun 6, 2019, 1:48 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Originally Posted by OpenSky
For what purpose?
to satisfy some people's egos !

also iam sure even if there was a vote , the list wasnt open and free , so basically you wouldnt see any dead political dissident/activist
Old Jun 7, 2019, 11:52 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
There has been the possibility for residents in the local areas of the airports to propose and vote on names for the airports.
Airporty McAirFace? (Sorry can't find a good Russian equivalent похож на аэропорт. воздушное лицо-ов doesn't really cut it)
trooper likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by DeathSlam
Airporty McAirFace? (Sorry can't find a good Russian equivalent похож на аэропорт. воздушное лицо-ов doesn't really cut it)
I don't know if the suggestions released for voting were curated, or the Russian sense of humour does not go in that direction.....
Old Jun 8, 2019, 1:24 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond AMB
Please don't ask your taxi driver in Moscow to take you to "Pushkin" or "Tupolev" airport
fifty_two likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Temedar
Please don't ask your taxi driver in Moscow to take you to "Pushkin" or "Tupolev" airport
Since I always use the Gett or Yandex apps, I never actually ask the driver

But I do wonder if the app knows them by the new names....
Old Jun 8, 2019, 11:30 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
I don't know if the suggestions released for voting were curated, or the Russian sense of humour does not go in that direction.....
Almost certainly both.
CPH-Flyer likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 1:04 am

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
I don't know if the suggestions released for voting were curated
Yes, that's (a not unique to Russia) concept of "managed" democracy. Though, with Russian patronymic and last names being quite consistent and generally following the same convention of adding a suffix (-ovich, -yevich for patronymic and -ov, -yev, or -sky for a family name), it might have been even funnier than Hooty McOwlface: something along the lines of Airport Airportovich Airportov.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 2:38 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold

But I do wonder if the app knows them by the new names....
probably they will use both

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.