Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Russia-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

SU1492 returns to SVO and catches fire 05/05/19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SU1492 returns to SVO and catches fire 05/05/19

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: MARRIOTT TITANIUM / HILTON GOLD / UA SILVER / AMEX PLAT
Originally Posted by wco81
Did the gas masks drop?
Thankfully no. The last thing a fire needs is oxygen.
The Lev and copperred like this.
Old May 6, 2019, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Account from the man in 10F who filmed - via google translate

https://v1.ru/text/gorod/66079222/

"- Everyone was in a panic. It turns out we went skid. The plane turned counterclockwise, and all this incoming air flow went to the burning wing and engine, blowing fire on the hull. Began to heat up and smoke the lining inside. Literally, five seconds before they stopped, I felt gusts of flame behind me."

"Before the plane stopped, everyone sat. Only then they got up and hurried to the exit. Grabbed a passport, moved to the aisle. Three or four people missed. And as I felt the heat behind me, I began to move myself.

- I did not turn around, did not look back. Why? I do not know. I took two or three steps. There was still light gray smoke. Caustic, of course. But he could still run. But all of a sudden, everything was filled with thick black smoke. It was impossible to breathe. He fell to the chairs, below where there was no swaddling, took two deep breaths, held his breath, and began to move toward the exit. There, the black shroud abruptly ended, and there were two flight attendants who helped navigate during the evacuation."

"- The girls were in the cabin to the last. And when they left the board, two or three more people got out or crawled out after them. They simply unconsciously rolled down the ladder, they were lifted, dragged from the burning plane. It seemed that it all lasted a few moments. And it took a full two minutes since the burning began."

"- The fact that the evacuation was hampered by those who reached for hand luggage - I think this is complete nonsense. You can even see from the video - if anyone had a carry-on luggage, it was small. Handbags, backpacks are small. Although it is an instinct - documents grab. Many in general without anything jumped out. I saw it myself. A man of about forty years old was probably wearing only socks. Without a phone, without documents, without anything at all. Just jumped out. To someone until the last stretched things, hindering the passage, I will not speak. I have not seen this."

And according to this someone in 18A made it out

https://static.ngs.ru/news/99/previe...a17822_739.jpg
The flight attendant at the front of the plane has apparently stated the opposite - that passengers did slow down the evacuation by trying to retrieve bags.

Whether this is true or whether this is just the internet playing vigilantes, a number of news articles are now singling out (and fat-shaming) one man who was seen leaving the plane with his bag. He was in 10C, and almost no one seated behind him made it out, so he's attracting blame for some of those deaths.

That aside, the same guy also apparently demanded a refund and spent 40 minutes unsuccessfully arguing for it, before leaving the airport and telling reporters on the way out that Aeroflot "consists of heartless and unprofessional people". He also declined to stop and speak to the media, heading outside to an ambulance while saying "My blood pressure is 200/120 and I have arrhythmia. I cannot stop. I want to live." Though apparently his life was second to trying to get his money back.

Last edited by javabytes; May 6, 2019 at 2:48 pm
Old May 6, 2019, 3:15 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Ed Galea at Greenwich University in London is the world expert in this and has been recommending central locking of overhead bins in emergencies for 20+ years...this is a logical engineered solution to circumvent human behavior which has to date proven uncontrollable.
Locking overhead bins would be highly advisable. It would save lives.
Old May 6, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by wco81
Did the gas masks drop?
Oxygen masks do not help in this situation. They help when the cabin loses pressure at altitude and the oxygen in the air drops to a level too low for humans to remain conscious.
Old May 6, 2019, 3:26 pm

The Daily Fail is to cogent, logical and correct reporting as using methane is a great way to put out a fire.

In the short time after an accident it's critical to avoid both the quick hit of confirmation bias and poor sources of information. As in so many cases, the resulting investigation usually contradicts every fierce debater on the internet; Russia unfortunately does not lend itself to transparency in many matters, which feeds the loony toons conspiracy angle.

The videos and witness testimony doubtless will be useful in assisting with the investigation, but won't be the only source thankfully.
Old May 6, 2019, 3:52 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Originally Posted by helvetic
Locking overhead bins would be highly advisable. It would save lives.
Am I the only one who thinks this is a terrible idea? The corridors will be full of oblivious angry passengers trying frantically to force the locks.
MSPeconomist, wrp96 and FTA like this.
Old May 6, 2019, 3:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
Am I the only one who thinks this is a terrible idea? The corridors will be full of oblivious angry passengers trying frantically to force the locks.
.....and the locks will sometimes malfunction after a normal landing or a power tripping FA could keep the bins locked throughout the flight, or.....
wrp96 and copperred like this.
Old May 6, 2019, 4:20 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
The overweight man who reportedly exited the aircraft with his bag and then demanded an immediate refund of his airfare, complaining about the airline's poor response to his demand is quite a contrast to the brave FAs including Maxim Moissev who lost his.
He is most likely one of the most hated people in Russia today. I hope for his sake that his actions were incorrectly described.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 4:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
The overweight man who reportedly exited the aircraft with his bag and then demanded an immediate refund of his airfare, complaining about the airline's poor response to his demand is quite a contrast to the brave FAs including Maxim Moissev who lost his.
He is most likely one of the most hated people in Russia today. I hope for his sake that his actions were incorrectly described.
Is it known whether the guy with the bag is a Russian national or a foreign visitor?
Old May 6, 2019, 4:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Is it known whether the guy with the bag is a Russian national or a foreign visitor?
From the purported seat map referenced above (https://static.ngs.ru/news/99/previe...a17822_739.jpg), which admittedly could be completely fabricated, it seems like all the names are Russian. That might be a complete red herring though...
Old May 6, 2019, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by Deltus
From the purported seat map referenced above (https://static.ngs.ru/news/99/previe...a17822_739.jpg), which admittedly could be completely fabricated, it seems like all the names are Russian. That might be a complete red herring though...
They could be non-Russian or even just slavic names just written in Cyrillic letters...
Old May 6, 2019, 4:53 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Originally Posted by respectable_man

They could be non-Russian or even just slavic names just written in Cyrillic letters...
These are indeed transcriptions.

The person in 15F (RIP) has an Anglo-saxon name. JH Brooks. The one in 8F (injured) a nordic-like name: Grinberg.

Can't see any other obvious foreign names but will leave for a proper Russian speaker to confirm.
Old May 6, 2019, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes
The flight attendant at the front of the plane has apparently stated the opposite - that passengers did slow down the evacuation by trying to retrieve bags.

Whether this is true or whether this is just the internet playing vigilantes, a number of news articles are now singling out (and fat-shaming) one man who was seen leaving the plane with his bag. He was in 10C, and almost no one seated behind him made it out, so he's attracting blame for some of those deaths.

That aside, the same guy also apparently demanded a refund and spent 40 minutes unsuccessfully arguing for it, before leaving the airport and telling reporters on the way out that Aeroflot "consists of heartless and unprofessional people". He also declined to stop and speak to the media, heading outside to an ambulance while saying "My blood pressure is 200/120 and I have arrhythmia. I cannot stop. I want to live." Though apparently his life was second to trying to get his money back.
I'm not sure a flight attendant up front saying people pulled things out of bins is mutually exclusive of the guy in 10F saying he didn't see it. He was mid cabin.

The other inconsistency is people saying only 3 people behind the bag guy in 10C made it out, but the seat map floating around Russian newspapers shows 6 people with seat assignments aft who made it.

Not clear which is correct. If the seat map is correct the survivor in 18A may be able to answer a lot.

Another thing we don't know about pax with bags. They may have been in the seat underneath - no overhead bin involved.
Old May 6, 2019, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
.....and the locks will sometimes malfunction after a normal landing or a power tripping FA could keep the bins locked throughout the flight, or.....
Back in the way back you can see archival reels of Aeroflot testing a system where passengers boarded and dropped their luggage in a chute next to their seat. It was never adopted widely. That and not that many people had the possibility of flying in the USSR, or would want to given its atrocious safety record.
Old May 6, 2019, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by Deltus
He has a Russian name. It was reported by the media.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.