Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Russia-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

SU1492 returns to SVO and catches fire 05/05/19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SU1492 returns to SVO and catches fire 05/05/19

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2019, 8:02 pm
FTA

Originally Posted by Saint4805
In future they should be prosecuted and jailed
Should be a federal offense like interfering with the flight crew
Old May 5, 2019, 8:21 pm

I'm curious why the fire crews fought from behind the plane. That seems (from the video) to have had an effect of pushing the flams forward towards the evacuation slides.

RIP.
Old May 5, 2019, 9:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond AMB
Originally Posted by arlflyer
I see foam on the AC at 1:51 into the full-length video. US Code requires a response time of 3 minutes
I've read that here the airport fire brigade has just 17 seconds to leave the depot. Whatever the norm is, anyone who's late is definitely looking at jail time.
One can probably argue that the fire brigade should've been moved closer to the runaway before landing even while there had been no fire on board pre-touchdown.

Originally Posted by FTA
"Violation of transport safety rules leading to two or more fatalities" is a felony here and gets you 5 to 8 years in prison (263.1(4)). Not sure that the idiots with the luggage will be prosecuted, though.
Old May 5, 2019, 10:48 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
I can't get over the idiots with their hand luggage. Truly irresponsible and selfish.
As for the flight deck crew, considering the loss of controls that must have occurred with the fire, this is going to be an interesting investigation. The conditions subsequent to the bounce and crash must have been brutal as the flight deck reportedly used emergency ropes to exit.
They should be jailed for manslaughter. Seriously.
enviroian likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 2:25 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by FTA
Again, US federal offenses are not relevant in Russia.
BearX220 and wrp96 like this.
Old May 6, 2019, 3:19 am

I don't want to comment too soon, nor to say anything disrespectful to the dead, their loved ones, and others that have suffered. However, I believe that like other fatal accidents in the past, it is going to be very important to learn from this accident, to make flying safer in the future.

In the meantime, I wish to extend my greatest sympathy to those who have suffered loss through this disaster.
Old May 6, 2019, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by NWstu
Supposedly the pilot squawked 7600 (no comms), then 7700 (emergency) so it's possible ARFF did not know it should roll until later in the sequence.
Well, let's not let facts get in the way of a good blame session...

Originally Posted by lupine
I'm curious why the fire crews fought from behind the plane.
One explanation could be that they did not want to impede use of the functional exits or endanger fleeing pax. See the Asiana event at SFO where a pax was struck and killed by a firefighting vehicle.

Originally Posted by Temedar
I've read that here the airport fire brigade has just 17 seconds to leave the depot.
Could well be, but even after leaving the depot, chasing a fireball down an 11,000' runway is no simple feat.

Originally Posted by helvetic
They should be jailed for manslaughter. Seriously.
There is quite a bit of research on this topic and the simple answer is that untrained civilians DO NOT act rationally in these situations. Here is one article on the matter: https://www.aerosociety.com/news/lives-before-luggage/

A study published by J Leach in 2004 (Why people 'freeze' in an emergency: temporal and cognitive constraints on survival responses) which analysed 11 marine and aviation accidents suggests that passenger behavioural responses can be separated into one of three categories: those who keep calm and can react rationally (10-15%), those who are ‘stunned and bewildered’ (75%) and people who display ‘counterproductive behaviour’.
People do not act rationally in traumatic situations! They revert to ingrained behavior and ritual, which does not always help.

Ed Galea at Greenwich University in London is the world expert in this and has been recommending central locking of overhead bins in emergencies for 20+ years...this is a logical engineered solution to circumvent human behavior which has to date proven uncontrollable.
lupine, writerguyfl, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old May 6, 2019, 6:11 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
People in the back should have pushed those in front reaching for the overhead bins.

Aeroflot claims total evacuation time was 55 seconds vs. some 90 second benchmark.
Old May 6, 2019, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by wco81
People in the back should have pushed those in front reaching for the overhead bins.
Is this very poor-taste satire, or are you trying to make it REALLY clear that you know nothing about the mechanics of crowd disasters and evacuation situations?
Old May 6, 2019, 6:25 am
Suspended

If you’re stuck in the back, are you going to politely wait as people in front reach up for their stuff, when they’re clearly instructing people to leave without that stuff, get off the plane ASAP?

They’re endangering your life and lives of those behind you.

You should be screaming at them to get off the plane right away and if they reach up shove them forward.

Or shove them back into the seats to clear the aisle between the people in the back and the exit rows.

Or are you going to politely and patiently wait while these idiots endanger you and other people’s lives with their stupidity?

Last edited by l etoile; May 6, 2019 at 12:01 pm Reason: language
Old May 6, 2019, 6:27 am

If you’re stuck in the back, are you going to politely wait as people in front reach up for their stuff, when they’re clearly instructing people to leave without that stuff, get off the plane ASAP?

They’re endangering your life and lives of those behind you.

You should be screaming at them to get off the plane right away and if they reach up shove them forward.

Or shove them back into the seats to clear the aisle between the people in the back and the exit rows.

Or are you going to politely and patiently wait while these idiots endanger you and other people’s lives with their stupidity?
Why don't you read up on a few crowd disasters and get back to us...panic and pushing are the reason why casualties occur.
BearX220 likes this.

Last edited by l etoile; May 6, 2019 at 12:01 pm Reason: language in quote
Old May 6, 2019, 6:43 am
Suspended

Oh you’re blaming the victims for reacting to having their lives endangered by people delaying and blocking their exit from a burning plane?
Old May 6, 2019, 6:48 am

Oh you’re blaming the victims for reacting to having their lives endangered by people delaying and blocking their exit from a burning plane?
No, I'm referencing the collective body of literature on crowd disasters and fire evacuations, where situations are almost always worsened by victims pushing from behind, creating a chain reaction and pile-up of falling victims. No one should be blaming victims, because as I cited above, untrained individuals will invariably react irrationally to some extent. I was referring to your suggestion, which is that more pushing and loud yelling (including cursing) would help the situation. In actuality this would increase the level of chaos, panic, and irrationality. This is why those who are trained to act in these situations, e.g. first responders and flight attendants, are trained to give calm, yet loud and firm instructions.
writerguyfl and copperred like this.
Old May 6, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: BA Gold

Aeroflot claims total evacuation time was 55 seconds vs. some 90 second benchmark.
The certification benchmark is all passengers out of half the exits in 90 seconds. Here, just under half the passengers got out of half the exits. The fact that Aeroflot are highlighting this as a 'good' thing is bizarre.
Old May 6, 2019, 7:55 am

Here's another account from a passenger who said some were afraid to walk because of the smoke - via Google translate.

https://www.interfax.ru/russia/660311

“There were two very loud strikes and two flashes, but the engine did not catch fire. I don’t know if it worked further or didn’t work, but it didn’t burn, that’s absolutely certain,” Yevmenkov noted.

He said that there was no panic and crush in the cabin, and expressed gratitude to the flight attendants, "who essentially saved us."

"The fact that people were standing in the aisles, it really was. For example, I was not the first to go out and when I got up from my seat, it was impossible to go forward. There was a woman with a child in front of me, but they didn’t even walk, apparently they were afraid to breathe carbon monoxide gas, and at this very moment, running to the exit would mean running through people. Therefore, for some time I, for example, just stood in the aisle ... At that moment, those who wanted to take things from the shelves . there were documents there, it was I who grabbed them and, when the movement had already begun, went ahead, "said Yevmenkov.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.