Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Russia-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

SU1492 returns to SVO and catches fire 05/05/19

SU1492 returns to SVO and catches fire 05/05/19

Old May 7, 19, 4:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Now ABC news (USA) is claiming that the pilots rushed to land and should have dumped fuel, then landed hard and caused the plane to break.
Old May 7, 19, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Can someone give me a size analogy to a western plane that would help me visualize? Is it roughly the same size as a mad dog?
Old May 7, 19, 5:14 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The seat map shows about 18 rows in a 2-3 configuration. There were about eighty passengers, but not every seat was occupied.
enviroian likes this.
Old May 7, 19, 7:23 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Starriott Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat Amb; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
Can someone give me a size analogy to a western plane that would help me visualize? Is it roughly the same size as a mad dog?
Based on the seatmap it seems like a western equivalent would be the Bombarier C-Series 100 (or ugh… Airbus 220… but it'll always be a CS100 in my heart).

Or perhaps just slightly bigger than an E175. (if you consider Brazil western).
enviroian and copperred like this.
Old May 8, 19, 5:29 am
TSE

Programs: BA, LH, AF
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
The seat map shows about 18 rows in a 2-3 configuration. There were about eighty passengers, but not every seat was occupied.
The first five rows are business class with a 2*2 config I believe. Row 6 has a generous bulkhead and is payable for non-SU elites.
Old May 8, 19, 10:22 am

Programs: Flying Blue Silver, Miles & More pleb
Originally Posted by TSE View Post
The first five rows are business class with a 2*2 config I believe. Row 6 has a generous bulkhead and is payable for non-SU elites.
It's three rows only. And then the numbering skips to 6.
Old May 8, 19, 11:32 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, IHG Plat Amb
Now ABC news (USA) is claiming that the pilots rushed to land and should have dumped fuel, then landed hard and caused the plane to break.
You can't dump fuel on a SSJ (just like you can't on a 320 or a 737), you can only circle the airport burning fuel. There are situations when flight rules demand immediate landing, even with an overweight plane; whether it was one of these situations is for the investigation to uncover.
wrp96 and copperred like this.
Old May 9, 19, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by Temedar View Post
You can't dump fuel on a SSJ (just like you can't on a 320 or a 737), you can only circle the airport burning fuel. There are situations when flight rules demand immediate landing, even with an overweight plane; whether it was one of these situations is for the investigation to uncover.
Yes, I know that and the impossibility of dumping fuel on this aircraft type was mentioned earlier in this thread. It's disappointing that people reporting aviation news for a major network don't know this or don't check before making such comments.
Old May 9, 19, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE MM, SD Gold, SPG Gold
Does SU permit passengers to change seats? That could explain 18F.

All of the empty seats in the front presumably are for business class and/or full fare customers and/or elites. Or would people have been sent to rear seats for weight and balance on this aircraft?
After posting it did occur to me that the other option was he moved up to a "better" (clearly in this case) seat. Might have been particularly likely given that he was assigned a seat in the very last row.
Old May 14, 19, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer View Post
Ed Galea at Greenwich University in London is the world expert in this and has been recommending central locking of overhead bins in emergencies for 20+ years...this is a logical engineered solution to circumvent human behavior which has to date proven uncontrollable.
So then you have people frantically trying to force open the overhead bins -- while standing in the aisles as one must to get into those bins. Catch-22.
Old May 15, 19, 1:18 am

new full video of full crash appears on web where you can see it made 3 bounces https://belsat.eu/en/news/full-video...ppears-on-web/
copperred likes this.
Old May 17, 19, 10:33 am

Interesting video, illustrates why that main gear got pushed through the wings and tanks leading to the fire. 1 hard landing is enough to trigger an inspection, 3 in a row is likely well above and beyond any design tolerances.
Old May 17, 19, 2:57 pm

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
So the lesson is, stay away from Russian jets or Russian pilots?

Or both?
Old May 17, 19, 3:25 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Silver, Miles & More pleb
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
So the lesson is, stay away from Russian jets or Russian pilots?

Or both?
It's a bit early to draw any lessons.

It does look like SU should provide more direct law simulator training to its pilots.

On the other hand you'd rather see me in a SSJ than on a Max... no matter the company.
Old Yesterday, 7:40 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Starriott Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat Amb; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen View Post
It's a bit early to draw any lessons.

It does look like SU should provide more direct law simulator training to its pilots.

On the other hand you'd rather see me in a SSJ than on a Max... no matter the company.
Heh… I'd much rather fly the MAX when it comes back into active service than the SSJ, by a mile