Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Russia-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

SU1492 returns to SVO and catches fire 05/05/19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SU1492 returns to SVO and catches fire 05/05/19

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2019, 9:06 pm
FTA

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Again, US federal offenses are not relevant in Russia.
Show me where I mentioned the US
Old May 6, 2019, 9:36 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by FTA
Show me where I mentioned the US
The concept of "federal" offenses is a uniquely American one.
copperred and nancypants like this.
Old May 6, 2019, 9:40 pm

Also found in Australia.
FTA likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 9:42 pm
FTA

Absolutely not
Old May 6, 2019, 9:45 pm

There appears to be more than one passenger leaving with baggage. I hope I'm mis-seeing this.

Apologies if this was posted earlier. Then I missed it.
Old May 7, 2019, 12:53 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by DragonSoul
There appears to be more than one passenger leaving with baggage. I hope I'm mis-seeing this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AAVBAPEtNM

Apologies if this was posted earlier. Then I missed it.

I'm actually surprised how few passengers are leaving with bags. However, I fully expect the messaging from will be to blame the passengers and thus conveniently move attention from the fact: that lightning shouldn't cause a degradation in aircraft control mode, the crew should be able to fly in "direct" control law, a bounced landing shouldn't drive both sets of main gear through the wing, with external fires the cabin should remain survivable long enough for all passengers to evacuate, a pre-warned emergency by a relatively small airport, at a major international airport, should have an emergency service response sufficient to drive back the fire and protect the exits and fuselage long enough for the passengers to escape.
The Lev, wrp96, copperred and 2 others like this.
Old May 7, 2019, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
That just about sums it about. Quite a few "should haves" here and they all need to be looked at in the near future.
Old May 7, 2019, 5:15 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
According to this guy who was in 12A suitcases did not impede exiting the plane. According to him, after row 12, few survived due to smoke inhalation and low visibility in the cabin.
Old May 7, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: SPG, HH, IHG, BA, DL
Unfortunately, the plane did not have time to jettison the jet fuel prior to making the landing.
With a full tank of fuel, the landing distance is greatly increased as well as difficulty controlling the touchdown.
So the plane hit the ground hard and caused bouncing which led to the difficult touchdown and subsequent loss of landing gears.

I'd say the pilots did a great job saving the plane and half it's pax.
YuropFlyer likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by 4sallypat
Unfortunately, the plane did not have time to jettison the jet fuel prior to making the landing.
With a full tank of fuel, the landing distance is greatly increased as well as difficulty controlling the touchdown.
So the plane hit the ground hard and caused bouncing which led to the difficult touchdown and subsequent loss of landing gears.

I am not sure the Superjet can jettison fuel. I believe that 737s and A320 aircraft also can’t. So seems to be common with the smaller aircraft.
copperred likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 10:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
How long was the route compared to the aircraft's maximum range? I'm trying to guess whether the fuel tanks would have been full or only half full for this flight.
Old May 7, 2019, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How long was the route compared to the aircraft's maximum range? I'm trying to guess whether the fuel tanks would have been full or only half full for this flight.
One article I saw indicated that the pilots had taken on extra fuel for the route.
Old May 7, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by OUTraveling
Thankfully no. The last thing a fire needs is oxygen.
Technically speaking Oxygen is the first thing a fire needs.
Old May 7, 2019, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Worcester

I am not sure the Superjet can jettison fuel. I believe that 737s and A320 aircraft also can’t. So seems to be common with the smaller aircraft.
As a rule single aisle aircraft do not need to be able to dump fuel and thus most are not designed with that requirement. They don't need that much fuel since they are by design, not flying long distances with large amounts of fuel. I find this argument a bit of a distraction because I cannot imagine anyone seriously thinking that dumping fuel is the first thought that comes to mind.
Worcester likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by 4sallypat
This plane does not have a system to jettison fuel. The pilot chose to land a plane that was above MLW. The question that the investigators will have to answer is whether that was a correct decision.

I would be hesitant to make that statement about the pilots.
What systems failed onboard after the lightning strike? Why did the pilot make a decision to land an overweight plane and not burn off enough fuel to put it below MLW? What procedures were followed/not followed? Were the procedures correct? When the pilot did land an overweight plane - did he do it properly or could it have been done better? Were the engines shut down as soon as possible to allow for a quick evacuation? All of this will need to be answered by investigators.

One more question that needs to be answered - what plastic did they use for the cabin and what is its fire rating. How is this compared to Boeing/Airbus planes? How does this get certified?
In the US we have 14 CFR § 25.853 (and appendix F), what's the equivalent GOST in Russia?

Last edited by Palal; May 7, 2019 at 11:38 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.