Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Russia-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

SU 55 minutes connection at SVO F-F

Old Mar 13, 19, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus (silver)

I'm looking for a flights for a possible itinerary in July, and a possible combination shows a 55 minutes connection at SVO F-F. The MCT is 50 minutes.

If I travel with checked baggage, how much chance can the baggage make the connection? I'm going for sports competitions for 1.5 weeks, and need multiple pairs of shoes (including hiking shoes and running shoes) for different competitions, and also swim wear as well. If I am going to this, should I be better off try to squeeze all these things without checked baggage?

Another alternative is 3 hours and 20 minutes connection.
Old Mar 13, 19, 11:35 pm

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus - Gold
In my experience, this year, Aeroflot have gotten better at delivering luggage on time.

Still I'd highly recommend:
  • Delayed baggage insurance
  • Take all necessary stuff in your carry on
  • longer or shorter connection doesn't matter (in my experience)
Old Mar 15, 19, 6:25 am

I would select 3 hr 20 min connection without thinking twice. What if your flight is late? What if the cruising time after landing will be longer (sometimes planes land and had to wait for either spare gate or move away and use buses to transfer passengers to the terminal - it might take 20 minutes easily)? Keep in mind boarding also closes 20 minutes sharp before scheduled flight time. I doubt the luggage will make it on time with 50 min. connection. I wouldn't risk it and get longer connection just in case.
Old Mar 15, 19, 6:36 am

Clearly, go with the 3hr20min connection.

IF the difference would be much larger (say, instead of 55min it being 8hrs) OR you'd travel with hand luggage only (or the checked in luggage doesn't matter that much) OR it wouldn't really be such a biggy for you if you missed your connection, you might choose the shorter connection (had a 1hr connection before, which was ample time, and luggage made it) since it wouldn't matter. But in your case, book the 3hr20min, enjoy the lounge, and just have much less worries about the whole thing.
Old Mar 22, 19, 3:18 am

Programs: Gold: Flying blue / Silver: Club Accor
totally agree with previous comments ,

it depends if you are connecting between long or middle/short haul flights and also during which season ,

but lets assume you arrive from asia and then continue to europe , so 3hours is the minimum i recommend

also as you really need these equipments , put as much as you can and you are allowed to take into your hand luggage (be aware of safety restrictions)