Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Russia-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

International to Domestic Transit at SVO/Missed connection

International to Domestic Transit at SVO/Missed connection

Old Jan 2, 19, 10:36 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: YUL/LHR/HKG
Programs: TK Gold
Posts: 316
International to Domestic Transit at SVO/Missed connection

Hello,
I booked my parents SU flights from HKG/SVO/LED with 1 hour and 30 minutes of transfer time in SVO. Just realised that they have to travel within terminals and recheck baggage. Can anyone share the experience and in the case of missed connection due to immigration/weather, are rebooking easy for SU agents in SVO?
tobiashenry is online now  
Old Jan 2, 19, 10:43 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 587
Originally Posted by tobiashenry View Post
Hello,
I booked my parents SU flights from HKG/SVO/LED with 1 hour and 30 minutes of transfer time in SVO. Just realised that they have to travel within terminals and recheck baggage. Can anyone share the experience and in the case of missed connection due to immigration/weather, are rebooking easy for SU agents in SVO?
Absolutely not. SU agents will tell them it's their fault they missed the connection and the remainder of their ticket is now worthless.

If you still have an option to cancel this booking, I would advise it. Otherwise, your parents will need to do whatever it takes to make that connection - not always easy at SVO.
spongenotbob is offline  
Old Jan 2, 19, 10:49 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: YUL/LHR/HKG
Programs: TK Gold
Posts: 316
Originally Posted by spongenotbob View Post
Absolutely not. SU agents will tell them it's their fault they missed the connection and the remainder of their ticket is now worthless.

If you still have an option to cancel this booking, I would advise it. Otherwise, your parents will need to do whatever it takes to make that connection - not always easy at SVO.
The tickets have been booked for more than a week, and I really doubt if I can do any amendments. Are SU agents harsh even if the inbound flight is late?
tobiashenry is online now  
Old Jan 2, 19, 10:56 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 587
Originally Posted by tobiashenry View Post
The tickets have been booked for more than a week, and I really doubt if I can do any amendments. Are SU agents harsh even if the inbound flight is late?
SU loves rules and regulations. (As does all of Russia but that's a different story). As long as the connection -- according to SU's clock, not yours -- meets the MCT time they will not be flexible in any way. For SVO, MCT is outlined here:

https://www.aeroflot.ru/us-en/inform...irport/transit

Most likely it will be a 50 or 60 minute MCT, depending on where they arrive and where they leave. If your parents get held up in immigration, waiting for bags or a train, waiting to reclear the 3 security checks going into the domestic terminal, that is not SU's concern.

In other words, they need to adopt the Russian mentality - be first off the plane, run and shove, get in front of the immigration line, etc.

Good luck.
spongenotbob is offline  
Old Jan 2, 19, 11:12 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 587
One correction - I think in certain situations baggage is auto-transferred onto the domestic connection at SVO, but I would advise checking with SU at check-in to be sure.

(see section "Baggage Carriage Rules for Transit Passengers" located at the bottom of: https://www.aeroflot.ru/us-en/inform...irport/transit)
spongenotbob is offline  
Old Jan 3, 19, 2:24 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: LHR/SEA/DME
Programs: BAEC G/*O E
Posts: 829
I find agents at SVO quite helpful albeit not very efficient / courteous. Having said that I think you are cutting it a tad too close. Your parents will most probably be arriving at SVO F and departing from SVO B. MCT for this connection is 1h 25 minutes.
I have never done it myself but from what I hear getting from F to B could be anywhere between 20 and 40 minutes depending on their pace and time of day. With gates closing 20 minutes prior to departure and 15-20 minutes to clear security/walk to the gate, it only leaves 10-20 minutes to clear immigration. Good news is that SU shall (but unfortunately not always will) automatically rebook them if their connection time falls under 80 minutes. If not, they are pretty much at the mercy of gate agents/ground staff. Do your parents speak Russian at all? If not, would it make sense to travel to SVO to meet and fly with them (I would recommend booking cheapest outbound and fully refundable inbound flights). Alternatively you may consider ordering service for passengers with disabilities. I agree with the previous poster, it is doable, but quite challenging in an unfamiliar airport even for a seasoned traveler.
I wouldn't worry about luggage - HKG is whitelisted, so their bags will be checked through to LED.
ParisMoskau likes this.

Last edited by luitje; Jan 3, 19 at 2:45 am
luitje is offline  
Old Jan 3, 19, 3:10 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: YUL/LHR/HKG
Programs: TK Gold
Posts: 316
Originally Posted by luitje View Post
I find agents at SVO quite helpful albeit not very efficient / courteous. Having said that I think you are cutting it a tad too close. Your parents will most probably be arriving at SVO F and departing from SVO B. MCT for this connection is 1h 25 minutes.
I have never done it myself but from what I hear getting from F to B could be anywhere between 20 and 40 minutes depending on their pace and time of day. With gates closing 20 minutes prior to departure and 15-20 minutes to clear security/walk to the gate, it only leaves 10-20 minutes to clear immigration. Good news is that SU shall (but unfortunately not always will) automatically rebook them if their connection time falls under 80 minutes. If not, they are pretty much at the mercy of gate agents/ground staff. Do your parents speak Russian at all? If not, would it make sense to travel to SVO to meet and fly with them (I would recommend booking cheapest outbound and fully refundable inbound flights). Alternatively you may consider ordering service for passengers with disabilities. I agree with the previous poster, it is doable, but quite challenging in an unfamiliar airport even for a seasoned traveler.
I wouldn't worry about luggage - HKG is whitelisted, so their bags will be checked through to LED.
Thanks for your reply! That's good sign to hear that the baggage can be sent directly to LED. What would be the use of ordering disability service? I thought they will deplane the latest and I am not sure whether they will jump the queue when passing through immigration.
tobiashenry is online now  
Old Jan 6, 19, 12:15 am
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: YUL/LHR/HKG
Programs: TK Gold
Posts: 316
Originally Posted by luitje View Post
I find agents at SVO quite helpful albeit not very efficient / courteous. Having said that I think you are cutting it a tad too close. Your parents will most probably be arriving at SVO F and departing from SVO B. MCT for this connection is 1h 25 minutes.
I have never done it myself but from what I hear getting from F to B could be anywhere between 20 and 40 minutes depending on their pace and time of day. With gates closing 20 minutes prior to departure and 15-20 minutes to clear security/walk to the gate, it only leaves 10-20 minutes to clear immigration. Good news is that SU shall (but unfortunately not always will) automatically rebook them if their connection time falls under 80 minutes. If not, they are pretty much at the mercy of gate agents/ground staff. Do your parents speak Russian at all? If not, would it make sense to travel to SVO to meet and fly with them (I would recommend booking cheapest outbound and fully refundable inbound flights). Alternatively you may consider ordering service for passengers with disabilities. I agree with the previous poster, it is doable, but quite challenging in an unfamiliar airport even for a seasoned traveler.
I wouldn't worry about luggage - HKG is whitelisted, so their bags will be checked through to LED.
I was not very sure whether HKG is whitelisted, as the website says "
When departing from airports in the Russian Federation to destinations in Former Soviet Union countries (FSU countries) and non-FSU countries, ......" I am not sure whether arriving to SVO would be whitelisted as well?
tobiashenry is online now  
Old Jan 12, 19, 12:37 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Russia
Programs: SU Gold
Posts: 48
Originally Posted by tobiashenry View Post
I was not very sure whether HKG is whitelisted, as the website says "
When departing from airports in the Russian Federation to destinations in Former Soviet Union countries (FSU countries) and non-FSU countries, ......" I am not sure whether arriving to SVO would be whitelisted as well?
it's on the same very page - https://www.aeroflot.ru/ru-en/inform...irport/transit
"In accordance with the Decree of the Government of the Russian Federation No. 637 dated 10 July 2014 "On the simplified procedure for performing customs operations in respect of goods accepted by airline carriers for accompanied baggage carriage,” on flights operated by Aeroflot PJSC – Russian Airlines departing from any of the following locations in FSU countries and non-FSU countries, it is possible to check your baggage through to your final destination in the Russian Federation (provided your baggage does not contain goods that are subject to a written customs declaration):
Europe: Alicante, Amsterdam, Athens, Barcelona, Belgrade, Berlin, Budapest, Bucharest, Bologna, Brussels, Copenhagen, Dresden, Düsseldorf, Frankfurt, Geneva, Hamburg, Hanover, Helsinki, Heraklion, Larnaca, Lisbon, London, Lyon, Madrid, Malaga, Milan, Munich, Naples, Nice, Oslo, Paris, Prague, Riga, Rome, Sofia, Stockholm, Split, Stuttgart, Tallinn, Tenerife, Thessaloniki, Tivat, Valencia, Venice, Verona, Vienna, Vilnius, Warsaw, Zagreb, Zurich.
Asia/Middle East: Antalya, Hong Kong, Tel Aviv, Tokyo.
USA: Los Angeles, Miami, New York, Washington DC.
FSU Countries: Astana, Almaty, Aktau, Atyrau, Aktobe, Bishkek, Yerevan, Karaganda, Kostanay, Kyzylorda, Minsk, Shymkent [1].
In all other cases you should claim your baggage at Sheremetyevo Airport and go through customs control (regardless of whether your baggage is checked through to your final destination or only to Moscow). "
Eurocity is offline  
Old Jan 13, 19, 8:35 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 35
The direct connection of luggage is also OK from China like PVG, CAN etc.. even they are not mentioned in the transit document put here. Maybe there is an updated version of the transit directly list?
tarmosan is offline  
Old Feb 10, 19, 11:34 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: HKG
Programs: Aeroflot Bonus (silver)
Posts: 370
Originally Posted by tarmosan View Post
The direct connection of luggage is also OK from China like PVG, CAN etc.. even they are not mentioned in the transit document put here. Maybe there is an updated version of the transit directly list?
I had to pick up luggage on CAN-SVO-KGD last year
miklcct is offline  
Old Feb 13, 19, 8:19 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 25
Oh man... transferring from International (D) to domestic (b) terminal in 1 hr 30 min would be painful and pushing it. I have a little bit longer connection and still concern if I will make it.
Assuming flight lands on time, it might takes about 20 minutes to leave the plane. Sometimes planes are in queue to the gate... some reported 40 minutes...
Getting though passport control is another 20 minutes on good day but can be 30-40 if multiple planes landed around the same time.
Transfer between D and B is about 20-25 minutes ASSUMING you know where to go! Transit runs every 4 minutes and the ride lasts also 4 minutes, the rest is walking between floors.
What I am concerned the most is pre-flight security as you arrive at Terminal B. These lines can be crazy and the worst part - poorly organized. You can easily waste a lot of time there.
Then you have to rush to the gate. Gate attendance are strict and even if you a minute late, they wont do anything to help you out. To rebook the flight people reported they had to go back to Terminal D... go figure.
Good news is from B to D is a quicker way as you go though pre-flight security in B and transferring to D's sterile zone.
Now, many people complained airlines, particularly Aeroflot, refused to rebook the flight at no cost to the passenger claiming there was an adequate time between flights and the passenger took his/her sweet time transferring...
Transferring language within 1 hr 30 min from international to domestic could also result in loss or delay of luggage...
I would recommend at least 3 hr for transfer at SVO.
I made a mistake myself by booking a shorted time at SVO and stressing about it now...
kwise is offline  
Old Feb 14, 19, 11:39 am
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: YUL/LHR/HKG
Programs: TK Gold
Posts: 316
Just an update that our travel will be in March. Will definitely report what would have happened.

Just received confirmation from SU in HKG office that the baggage can be checked through from HKG to LED. There's no need to pick up in SVO as long as it is declared that there is nothing to declare for customs
tobiashenry is online now  
Old Feb 14, 19, 1:34 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 25
Originally Posted by tobiashenry View Post
Just an update that our travel will be in March. Will definitely report what would have happened.

Just received confirmation from SU in HKG office that the baggage can be checked through from HKG to LED. There's no need to pick up in SVO as long as it is declared that there is nothing to declare for customs
When in March? Would you be kind enough to update this thread with your actual experience once you are done?
kwise is offline  
Old Feb 15, 19, 7:04 am
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: YUL/LHR/HKG
Programs: TK Gold
Posts: 316
Originally Posted by kwise View Post
When in March? Would you be kind enough to update this thread with your actual experience once you are done?
We will be in LED on 4 March. Definitely will let you know how it goes by then!
tobiashenry is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread