Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Russia-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Business Class Lounges At Provincial Airports In Ex-USSR Countries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2018, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold

As an inexperienced flyer when it comes to flights out of provincial airports in the ex-USSR, I was wondering the following:

Many airports seem to have separate VIP and CIP terminals apart from normal check-in/departure lounges. As an elite member of Sky Team (Flying Blue platinum) - can you use such when flying Aeroflot in economy?

I'm looking especially at Shymkent (Kazakhstan) and Tashkent (Uzbekistan) as airport - especially Shymkent as flights originating from there seem to be at least $300 cheaper than Tashkent which IMHO is worth the detour there.

VIP service

The whole world of ex-Soviet airports is just a bit hard for me to comprehend compared to the logic of European, Asian and American airports and lounges!
Old Oct 12, 2018, 1:59 pm

At Tashkent there is one lounge that SU J passengers can use. It is a fairly pleasant place with a limited range of snacks. I never investigated the alcohol offered but there is a bar.

I have been to Shymkent but on domestic KC so cannot help there. Some Kazakh airports are were very basic; I remember landing on an earth runway some years ago at Taraz, but they have been upgrading them and I expect now most have a modern terminal. Whether they have good lounges I doubt. The international lounge at Almaty is awful although the KC lounges at Astana are now very good. Not sure whether SU passengers can use them as a few years ago neither TK, LH nor OS could.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 9:09 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Romanianflyer
The whole world of ex-Soviet airports is just a bit hard for me to comprehend compared to the logic of European, Asian and American airports and lounges!
these VIP lounges/terminals are not available by elite membership of airlines , but either by your status (vip such as politician , artist . sport champion ....) , but often you can also pay for it but prices can be quite high
Old Oct 19, 2018, 5:22 am

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
I can't say about Shymkent, but Tashkent won't be much special, albeit away from the masses of the pretty small terminal. I can definitely say Irkutsk and Khabarovsk are nothing to write home about either, although Khabarovsk is a bit better than Irkutsk!
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Their services in that link are not unlike pay lounges run by airports in Latin America. Being available to avoid the bedlam for check-in, security and exit immigration formalities, and for arrival procedures including not having to lay out the baksheesh for customs (even when not doing anything even marginally bad like excessive cigarettes, etc.) is worth it.
The most expensive service listed is only $33 US. Arrival handling for $14? Do it.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
I would argue that arrival in Tashkent at least is less chaotic than departure, particularly with the much more relaxed laws since 2017.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.