Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Russia-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Choosing a seat before check in sans status and...

Choosing a seat before check in sans status and...

Old Oct 7, 18, 3:17 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Posts: 546
Choosing a seat before check in sans status and...

...without having made the booking yourself.

I'm off to Sakhalin (Yuzhno Sakhalinsk, UUS) in the Russian Far East (from SVO) for a business trip at the end of the month. My employer's Far East representative books the tickets for me, standard practice, as they know more about when I need to be there or not. So naturally, I just receive the ticket, check in and fly. Boom. However, given that it's a 9-hour slog each way, I have a particular seat or two in mind to choose for each part. I'm not quite silver yet (sadly, I'll be as little as 3 flights off by then!) but is there any way to be able to even pay to select a certain seat before checking in despite having not booked it myself? (it's Boeing 777-300ER, 47C or H if that makes any difference)

Thanking you all in advance!
ilcannone is offline  
Old Oct 8, 18, 11:44 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: HKG
Programs: Aeroflot Bonus (silver)
Posts: 370
What's the fare basis of your ticket?
miklcct is offline  
Old Oct 9, 18, 2:22 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Posts: 546
Originally Posted by miklcct View Post
What's the fare basis of your ticket?
currently unknown, I'm still waiting for the ticket to be sent to me. Knowing my luck, a very low one. I've earned a mere 955-998 miles flying VVO/KHV-SVO yet about 1111 SVX-SVO which is a quarter of the distance...I'm usually lumped with the lowest possible category available and rarely have a ticket that gives more than 75% of miles.
ilcannone is offline  
Old Oct 11, 18, 10:50 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: MOW
Programs: UA Gold, FB Gold, SPG Plat
Posts: 87
Well, if you know someone who has non-SU SkyTeam Elite status, go and add their membership number to your booking. Due to Aeroflot not matching names when checking your status, you will receive all sorts of benefits (including seat selection). Then at the airport ask check-in agent to replace that number with your actual membership number.
Dlougach is offline  
Old Oct 12, 18, 2:34 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Posts: 546
Originally Posted by Dlougach View Post
Well, if you know someone who has non-SU SkyTeam Elite status, go and add their membership number to your booking. Due to Aeroflot not matching names when checking your status, you will receive all sorts of benefits (including seat selection). Then at the airport ask check-in agent to replace that number with your actual membership number.
oh that is interesting....thanks!


although I usually check in online only as I never take luggage and SU check in queues are an abomination!
ilcannone is offline  
Old Oct 12, 18, 4:16 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: MOW
Programs: UA Gold, FB Gold, SPG Plat
Posts: 87
Originally Posted by ilcannone View Post
although I usually check in online only as I never take luggage and SU check in queues are an abomination!
You might be able to enter a different frequent flyer number during online check in as well, but make sure that the new one is reflected on your boarding pass.
Dlougach is offline  
Old Oct 16, 18, 7:33 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: HKG
Programs: Aeroflot Bonus (silver)
Posts: 370
Originally Posted by ilcannone View Post
currently unknown, I'm still waiting for the ticket to be sent to me. Knowing my luck, a very low one. I've earned a mere 955-998 miles flying VVO/KHV-SVO yet about 1111 SVX-SVO which is a quarter of the distance...I'm usually lumped with the lowest possible category available and rarely have a ticket that gives more than 75% of miles.
Aeroflot gives at least 75% miles on their own flights unless it's a promotional fare.
miklcct is offline  
Old Oct 16, 18, 1:37 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Posts: 546
Originally Posted by miklcct View Post
Aeroflot gives at least 75% miles on their own flights unless it's a promotional fare.
I have no control over the fares and subsequent miles as it isn't me who books them, sadly. :/
ilcannone is offline  
Old Oct 17, 18, 8:03 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: HKG
Programs: Aeroflot Bonus (silver)
Posts: 370
Can you check the reservation here?

https://www.aeroflot.ru/sb/pnr/app/r...arch?_k=vajmvb
miklcct is offline  
Old Oct 19, 18, 5:25 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Posts: 546
Originally Posted by miklcct View Post
Can you check the reservation here?

https://www.aeroflot.ru/sb/pnr/app/r...arch?_k=vajmvb
Originally Posted by miklcct View Post
What's the fare basis of your ticket?
I've only just got the ticket now, so I wasn't able to do anything until just a few minutes ago. So I have a fare class B - https://www.aeroflot.ru/ru-en/sabreclass_b with tariff code BPXRTRF (I guess this is the important bit as the rest is in Russian and my Russian isn't good enough to translate anything else!)

I'm going to attempt a previous suggestion of someone else's status, but here's hoping for the best!
ilcannone is offline  
Old Oct 19, 18, 9:26 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: HKG
Programs: Aeroflot Bonus (silver)
Posts: 370
Originally Posted by ilcannone View Post
I've only just got the ticket now, so I wasn't able to do anything until just a few minutes ago. So I have a fare class B - https://www.aeroflot.ru/ru-en/sabreclass_b with tariff code BPXRTRF (I guess this is the important bit as the rest is in Russian and my Russian isn't good enough to translate anything else!)

I'm going to attempt a previous suggestion of someone else's status, but here's hoping for the best!
The code BPXRTRF is all we need.

https://www.aeroflot.ru/xx-en/sabre/...iffs/new_rules

It is a flat fare applicable for certain domestic travel only (i.e. all seats on the plane are sold at the same price) which serves as a kind of welfare for far east residents. No seat selection. Very bad for frequent traveller on its own program as only 25% miles available. Better to choose another SkyTeam programme which can get 100%. 3 to 4 such long-haul round-trips can get you ST elite.

Last edited by miklcct; Oct 19, 18 at 9:51 pm
miklcct is offline  
Old Oct 20, 18, 2:09 am
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Posts: 546
Originally Posted by miklcct View Post
The code BPXRTRF is all we need.

https://www.aeroflot.ru/xx-en/sabre/...iffs/new_rules

It is a flat fare applicable for certain domestic travel only (i.e. all seats on the plane are sold at the same price) which serves as a kind of welfare for far east residents. No seat selection. Very bad for frequent traveller on its own program as only 25% miles available. Better to choose another SkyTeam programme which can get 100%. 3 to 4 such long-haul round-trips can get you ST elite.
Correct me if I'm wrong, as I really CLUELESS about these program things, but would it really make no sense to use a different program since I basically fly from Moscow to X within Russia? I mean, S7 would be the second best option but I avoid them as much as I can because the seats are simply too small for me!

It doesn't surprise me that I've got the cheapest possible seats, but I am surprised that I've got one that is at a fare price intended for Far East residents!
ilcannone is offline  
Old Oct 20, 18, 3:15 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: HKG
Programs: Aeroflot Bonus (silver)
Posts: 370
Originally Posted by ilcannone View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, as I really CLUELESS about these program things, but would it really make no sense to use a different program since I basically fly from Moscow to X within Russia? I mean, S7 would be the second best option but I avoid them as much as I can because the seats are simply too small for me!

It doesn't surprise me that I've got the cheapest possible seats, but I am surprised that I've got one that is at a fare price intended for Far East residents!
Sorry for you. Although in general you should accumulate miles on the airline you fly the most, your case is an exception. You should sign up for another program in SkyTeam starting from next year and accumulate all your far east flights into it.

Because these welfare fares book into class B, they are considered full fare by other airlines, getting 100% miles. In this case you can easily achieve ST elite by 4 round-trips. Just make sure the flight is operated by Aeroflot, but not Rossiya, otherwise you have no way to get full credit.
miklcct is offline  
Old Oct 20, 18, 5:00 am
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Posts: 546
Originally Posted by miklcct View Post
Sorry for you. Although in general you should accumulate miles on the airline you fly the most, your case is an exception. You should sign up for another program in SkyTeam starting from next year and accumulate all your far east flights into it.

Because these welfare fares book into class B, they are considered full fare by other airlines, getting 100% miles. In this case you can easily achieve ST elite by 4 round-trips. Just make sure the flight is operated by Aeroflot, but not Rossiya, otherwise you have no way to get full credit.

That's going to be impossible, as the only place Aeroflot is going to serve in the Far East by the end of the month is Vladivostok, and I'll be sent to Khabarovsk and Sakhalin which are soon to be served by Rossiya only. How frustrating.

Well, in fairness, I don't care so much about this kind of thing so it isn't too bad I guess!
ilcannone is offline  
Old Oct 20, 18, 6:12 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: HKG
Programs: Aeroflot Bonus (silver)
Posts: 370
Originally Posted by ilcannone View Post
That's going to be impossible, as the only place Aeroflot is going to serve in the Far East by the end of the month is Vladivostok, and I'll be sent to Khabarovsk and Sakhalin which are soon to be served by Rossiya only. How frustrating.

Well, in fairness, I don't care so much about this kind of thing so it isn't too bad I guess!
The route will be transferred from Aeroflot to Rossiya?! Oh my god. No more international-standard long haul service and no more premium economy class. Rossiya is just a regional airline, it's sad news that such long haul 8+ hours flights are operated by a regional airline.

Last edited by miklcct; Oct 20, 18 at 6:17 am
miklcct is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread