Transiting in SVO or take train?

Old Sep 6, 2018, 6:12 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles, AF/KL Flying Blue
Originally Posted by OpenSky
Frankly I wonder why the Op would even bother. Unless the op is a train geek. Its basically a slower version of ICE3, and doesn't even reach top speed. And the views are nothing to speak of. Flying is quick.
​​​​​​While I can't answer for OP, I will say that as a typically risk-adverse individual, I would tend to opt for the train-metro-Aeroexpress option, since even a severe snowstorm isn't usually going to throw those three off schedule like it could a flight. If a potential misconnect wasn't a huge deal, yeah, flight all day for simplicity's sake. But when connecting on two separate tickets... yeah, that could be a concern.

Having said that, given that it is the LED-SVO route we're talking about here, with a flight every hour almost, even I would usually be pretty comfortable taking the flight instead of the train. And I love the train, for the record.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 10:47 pm

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Originally Posted by OpenSky
Frankly I wonder why the Op would even bother. Unless the op is a train geek. Its basically a slower version of ICE3, and doesn't even reach top speed. And the views are nothing to speak of. Flying is quick.
It's quite the experience nonetheless, particularly for Russians who are usually accustomed to the open plan sleepers etc.

Originally Posted by ChrisLi
Thanks for everyone's comment, well appreciated!

For that I was thinking to grab a taxi from the train station directly to SVO. My company will be paying for that so I guess that's OK-ish ....
Taxis aren't usually that expensive. I live south of the centre of Moscow (not too far from the centre) and the most I've ever paid from SVO, DME or VKO is just under 1300rub. Uusually it's around 900-1000rub so pricing isn't the issue but traffic can be. Aeroexpress is extremely reliable and half the price of a taxi.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Originally Posted by eastindywalrus
​​​​​​While I can't answer for OP, I will say that as a typically risk-adverse individual, I would tend to opt for the train-metro-Aeroexpress option, since even a severe snowstorm isn't usually going to throw those three off schedule like it could a flight. If a potential misconnect wasn't a huge deal, yeah, flight all day for simplicity's sake. But when connecting on two separate tickets... yeah, that could be a concern.

Having said that, given that it is the LED-SVO route we're talking about here, with a flight every hour almost, even I would usually be pretty comfortable taking the flight instead of the train. And I love the train, for the record.
I have more faith in SU operating LED-SVO in an on time and in a reliable manner than I do any US airline operating the New York - Boston - Washington Shuttle or the LA - SFO shuttle. I say SU ( not Rossiya or the rest). In the worst of weather, when I was sure it would cancel, the flights have operated like clockwork.That's saying a lot.

DL will delay a flight at the slightest sight of clouds and winds, that may cause them to burn 1/2 or more lbs fuel than they planned for. I've seen in countless times.

The only way I would take the train is if I was staying near the Leningrad station and had to be near the Moscow station , in the morning during rush hour. That sort of makes sense. But if you are already at SVO and you want to trek down to take the train, , unless its you are a train geek and its a thing.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 3:24 am

Just a word of warning to anyone now contemplating moving luggage on the metro. The ramps being referred to are very steep, they rise at the same angle as the stairs, and have a very narrow stair portion between the ramps. Trying to manage your wheelie bags would be very difficult indeed and it is better to carry them.

These ramps exist all over the former Soviet Union and I think they are designed to help mums with pushchairs but I have rarely seen them used for this purpose. I cannot speak for Russia but in Kazakhstan babies tend to be carried rather than pushed. Try pushing a pushchair in the ice and snow and youll realise why!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.