Aeroflot pricing logic...

Old Aug 27, 2018, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Aeroflot pricing logic...

I'm due to go to Irkutsk and Khabarovsk (Moscow-Irkutsk-Khabarovsk-Moscow) next week for a business trip. Due to the last minute nature of my work, I don't know exactly when I'm able to fly until just a few days before I'm needed there. My employer only books me onto direct flights on Aeroflot and subsidiaries (in this case, Aurora and Rossiya), which frankly is not a bad thing!

I've done a bit of groundwork about the available flights just in case I do get asked which flight I'd like to take (which sometimes happens):

SVO-IKT = 4 daily
IKT-KHV = 1 daily (Aurora)
KHV-SVO/VKO = 3 daily (2 Aeroflot, 1 Rossiya)

I've had a look at the prices (whilst looking up the schedules) and noticed that booking all 3 sectors as one booking (which, on the Aeroflot app, makes it look like Irkutsk to Moscow with a very long stopover in Khabarovsk) works out at 800-1200EUR (depending on which day out of 2 flights I take from KHV to SVO), whereas booking all 3 separately works out as little as 510EUR (it could be less but I wouldn't be booked onto any daytime SVO-IKT flights).

The question is...why?! Where is the logic in this?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 7:23 am

There isn't always logic in airline pricing, it's hard to say much without seeing the fare components of the booking you are trying to make, also not sure why the app shows it the way it does.
Looking at random dates next week, I find all 3 legs on the same booking for ~750€, with the KHV-SVO leg in PE, which might explain why the fare is higher
Old Aug 27, 2018, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Thankfully I don't have to book them, my employer takes responsibility for that, but I'm also not sure what you mean about the components of the fare(s)?

I should have mentioned before that it was all in economy in the lowest fare category for each sector.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 6:49 pm

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
Originally Posted by ilcannone
Thankfully I don't have to book them, my employer takes responsibility for that, but I'm also not sure what you mean about the components of the fare(s)?
I should have mentioned before that it was all in economy in the lowest fare category for each sector.
There are multiple fares available within each class of service. Some would allow minimum stay at destination of 7 days, others would only work if you stay beyond Sunday of the week, etc. Some fares simply cannot be combined.
For example, when you combine multiple flights on one PNR, if your first leg has only a flexible Y fare available, all remaining segments will need to be "combinable" (i.e. within same flexible fare bucket), even if a lower fare is available. This is most likely the case here. This is probably also aggravated by availability of SU's "Far East" fares for OW tickets. Russian government subsidizes some of the flights to the Russian Far East, but these fares are only available for simple return or one-way tickets.
Finally, SU web-site is also a bit glitchy, which may also be a contributing factor.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.