Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Russia-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

S7 routinely cancels tickets. Would EC261 apply?

Old Aug 23, 18, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC G/*O E

My firends just told me about a mind boggling rule S7 applies to bookings (including ones paid for and ticketed). They are cancelling tickets when booked by the same passenger for the same route within 4 days from each other. I couldn't believe it fiorst, but here's a link to their FAQ.
Wonder if I book flights TXL-DME-TXL on, say, 7 and 10 of September, pay for them and then they cancel one, would EC261 apply? If so, would that be considered denied boarding or flight cancellation? Anyone has an opinion?
This has actually got me so curious, that would even consider doing the trick and then, if S7 deniws compensation, put them through ADR/ODR and SCC.
Old Aug 23, 18, 4:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You only quoted part of the contract term. S7 does not prohibit bookings on the same route within 4 days of each other. It only requires that one call in. Presumably to verify that one wants both seats.

Most carriers have less onerous provisions but prohibit "impossible" bookings.

EC 261/2004 would hardly provide anything to a passenger who fails to follow the rules to which he agrees by purchasing tickets.
Old Aug 23, 18, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
You only quoted part of the contract term. S7 does not prohibit bookings on the same route within 4 days of each other. It only requires that one call in. Presumably to verify that one wants both seats.

Most carriers have less onerous provisions but prohibit "impossible" bookings.

EC 261/2004 would hardly provide anything to a passenger who fails to follow the rules to which he agrees by purchasing tickets.
I did not quote any contract terms, but their FAQ. In fact I don't see anything along the lines of the airline reserving the right to cancel a revenue ticket in case of a passenger booking on the same route anywhere in their Conditions of Carriage. Open to be wrong though, could you provide a reference to where Conditions void ticketed bookings made prior or after purchasing a new ticket? I can't really see why any court won't agree that airline is in breach of their Conditions, since their FAQ seem to refer to a standard practice rather than any term in a contract.

Last edited by luitje; Aug 23, 18 at 5:53 pm
Old Oct 23, 18, 11:35 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, SPG/Marriott Bonvoy Gold
The FAQ suggests that people buy tickets - probably refundable ones or cheap ones - to block seats for the future and they aren't having it. Last minute cancels and no shows must have abounded over the years to drive them to do this.
Old Oct 24, 18, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ricktoronto View Post
The FAQ suggests that people buy tickets - probably refundable ones or cheap ones - to block seats for the future and they aren't having it. Last minute cancels and no shows must have abounded over the years to drive them to do this.
They can be annoyed as much as they will but by accepting a payment they are entering into a binding contract with very clear clauses of when it can be terminated by either of the parties. Also cheap fares are normally not refundable, so they are not losing any revenue from a no show and there's an easy way of mitigating risks of flexible fares by either raising the fare or rebooking/cancellation fee.
Old Oct 30, 18, 2:06 am

Programs: SU GOLD, BA GOLD , SQ PPS. RIP: UA 1999-2015 EY Partners 2006-2017, LH SEN 2006-2018
The reasons for the cancellation was not clear.

In the pastI have bought tickets, they were cancelled a few days later. This turned out due to payment issues.

I personally had trouble buying tickets for a friend in Russia ( S7 Russia domestic flight), so what I ended up doing what asking my friend in Russia to pay with his credit and I would reimburse. S7 has issues accepting American and Swiss credit cards - much to my annoyance. This was largely fixed earlier this year with the world cup

Search this Thread