Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whats wrong with SU pilots?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2018, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Whats wrong with SU pilots?

This year I took a number of SU flights, including LAX-SVO, JFK-SVO, LHR-SVO and SVO-AER.

Almost every SU flight had several "interesting" moments with sharp turns, fast accelerations and unusually quick ascents / descents. These events were not go-arounds and there was no communication from the crew. These "moments" happened both in Russian airspace and overseas.

It was actually fun and I do not mind it as long as it's safe. But I keep wondering if SU pilots did some sort of hard core hand flying on purpose?

In my flying life I had a few go-arounds and one TCAS on other airlines, but normally my flights are very smooth... except SU.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Interesting. I feel totally safe with them and all my flights have been very smooth. But the rest of Russian aviation leaves a lot to be desired.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 12:16 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Concerto
Interesting. I feel totally safe with them and all my flights have been very smooth. But the rest of Russian aviation leaves a lot to be desired.
I am not sure about what you mean re "the rest" because as an AA ExPlat, I feel very good when I travel on S7, the 2nd largest Russian carrier and a member of OneWorld. Outside of SU and S7, I'd agree that I would not fly with a Russian airline. But between those two, you have most of the routes in/out of Russia covered.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I totally agree, S7 airlines is fine, I flew with him last November. Apparently UTair and also Ural airlines are OK too, according to what I have read. But from there, it’s really the “rest”, with stuff like Red Wings who should have its license revoked immediately. Every year there’s some disaster in Russian aviation.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 3:33 am

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
I think those flights you experienced extra g-forces on were training flights.....for the captains 11 yr old son. I wouldn't fly a Russian carrier for free.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 7:57 pm

Closest I’ve ever come to experiencing a full-on tail strike was in a SU 77W landing at LAX.

CAVU, no winds to speak of, atrocious, sloppy landing. Of course the locals clapped with great enthusiasm!
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
They may have been ex-Afghanistan or ex-Syrian military pilots used to dodging ground to air missiles and such and it's carried over as a reflex.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:15 am
a7m

Programs: Alaska Gold. SU Silver.
Every single flight? It's either an exaggeration or bad luck. I have no reasons to praise SU as I move toward flying with other airlines now, but my frequent flights with them are typically much smoother than when I flew this year on Hawaiian, Delta, United, American, Iberia, BA, and SAS. It helps to keep in mind, though, that SU pilots are not as communicative as American pilots, who feel obliged to keep you updated about minor flight developments. But thanks for offering some participants here an occasion to test their jokes or reveal their prejudices.
NoWhereWill likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 3:02 pm

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Each airline has their own "style" which is born out of their training, manuals and procedures. Where you sit in the plane can also change your perception of what is happening. Southwest and Ryanair will climb and turn steeper than AA or AF. SU is in between. Fast accelerations is a new one to me as the throttle setting is pretty much fixed for each phase of flight. After takeoff there isn't really any way to "accelerate". Climbs and descents are also fairly standard for ATC purposes. The only way you could know the rate of climb/descent is through the angle, which would again be differently perceived depending on where you are sitting. Climbing out of NY or LA is pretty well regulated by ATC through the clearance altitudes and fully loaded 777's aren't in a hurry to climb fast as it only wastes fuel.

Almost tail strike? Tail strikes can occur on takeoff by over-rotating and thus too steep an angle of attack. They are still fairly rare. On landing, the flare is nothing compared to the angle on takeoff so I doubt you almost had a tail strike.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: DL Skymiles, AF/KL Flying Blue
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
They may have been ex-Afghanistan or ex-Syrian military pilots used to dodging ground to air missiles and such and it's carried over as a reflex.
So, before responding to this, I wanted to wait until my BUD-SVO flight this morning to see how that was. When I read your comment, it reminded me of some of the very steep climbs and descents I've experienced on SU previously. Personally, I enjoyed it, though the decent made for some serious ear-pressure action.

Anyways, we taxied onto the runway at Budapest as another plane landing on the runway flew over us. We sat at the end of the runway as that plane finished its landing and taxied off. But the SU pilot applied the brakes and went full throttle on the engines. I kid you not, we sat stationary at full power at the end of the runway for just under 60 seconds. Meanwhile, I'm scratching my head but nevertheless enjoying the view out of 7F right next to the engine intake - there was a constant upwards water tornado off of the wet runway into the engine, kinda fun to watch.

Anyways, finally the brakes are released and we fly down the runway. Takeoff was as steep as I remember SU being.

I don't know that there's any need for concern as some other commenters have mentioned, but I do wonder if the tendency for SU pilots to do this sort of thing stems from their training... And if so, where that was picked up from for training. The ex-military theory might not be a bad one. Today's takeoff felt like a military one - get up quick and out of range of stingers.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
I can't say I've ever noticed anything like that on UTair, Ural Airlines, S7, Aeroflot (my primary airline within Russia), Yakutia, or Pobeda. Perhaps it's just sheer misfortune.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.