Pobeda - Russia's main lowcost

Old May 16, 18, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AR, LA, A3, UT, 6R, U6, PS, SU, and many more
Pobeda - Russia's main lowcost

I've flown Pobeda many times, including their first flight, where I was the first passenger to board back in 2014, from Moscow-Vnukovo to Volgograd.
Now, I'm trying to buy two return tickets to Germany in a couple of days. The website is seriously slow (i've been trying for over 1h30) and the app... Is weird.
First, If you want to go back, you need to start all over again, and is very time consuming.
Second: they ask you too many times (4) how many pieces of luggage you want to buy, and they don't like the idea of buying none.
Third: they offer you to choose your seat. I don't want to choose it. I want the airline to choose it for me, or I want to jump to a better seat after the gates are closed, or just stay there for the 2 hours.

So, "can an airline force you to choose your seat (having to pay for it)"?
Thanks
Old May 16, 18, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AR, LA, A3, UT, 6R, U6, PS, SU, and many more
Is worse than that... So, now the web works again. Now they've created a system, hard to understand, where you can check the option: the make the system choose a seat for me. I was given 05E while my partner 31C. Return similar seats: 08B and 29A. Now: I couldn't care less. I bought two tickets to Germany for less than 200EUR. Was it a good deal? What do you think?
Old May 18, 18, 3:58 pm

Yes if other options are $500.. no if you only saved a $20..
Old Nov 10, 18, 11:50 am

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I am looking at a ticket on Pobeda (DP) from Bergamo to Moscow Vnukovo then on to Samara. The price is quite reasonable for such a route, at about EUR155 one way including 20kg of baggage. Just wondering if there have been any active experiences with members flying Pobeda recently. They've got some offbeat destinations, such as Bergamo (BGY) and Baden Baden (FKB), and they seem to sell through tickets, unlike most LCCs. I am expecting no service whatsoever. Russians tell me that you can't even buy a checked luggage allowance and absolutely nothing is offered inflight, not even for purchase.
Old Nov 14, 18, 9:24 am

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
I flew with them from Bratislava back to Moscow a couple years ago - it's not so bad. They recently eliminated hand baggage charges from what I understand, but like any LCC, don't expect miracles.

But also nice to see another Moscow based member here!
Old Nov 14, 18, 2:16 pm

But do they actually serve anything inflight, or can you buy something? And what's VKO like? Is it a total dump, or ok like DME is? It's looking more than likely that I will pull myself over the Alps and fly with S7 from Munich, who offer excellent flexible and refundable economy fares. Got some things to do in Munich anyway.
Old Nov 14, 18, 9:03 pm

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
I can't recall if Pobeda even sells anything on board, but being an LCC I imagine it should?

VKO is actually quite a pleasant airport, to be honest, the issue I take with it is that the Aeroexpress only runs hourly compared to half-hourly from SVO/DME, although there are a greater number of buses to take to/from the final 4 metro stations on the red line.
Old Nov 17, 18, 3:02 pm

That Aeroexpress is an incredibly good service, though. You buy a ticket (online) and it's valid on any route, to any airport, in any direction, at any time. And it's totally dependable, in a way Swiss trains were years ago and no longer are. You can set your watch by it. For you points and freebie collectors out there, the Bonus Program of Aeroexpress is pretty good: I already had a free ticket, where the cost is reduced from RUB500 to RUB1 !

As for the Pobeda quandary, I went ahead and booked with S7 from Munich. S7 has the best prices to Russia and I like their sales model, offering flexible and refundable Economy tickets at a reasonable price. I suspect DP (Pobeda) is like all the LCCs in that once they have your money, you will never see it again: no refunds, no changes.
Old Nov 20, 18, 2:15 pm

Programs: LH SEN, BAEC Bronze, S7 Приоритет, TrueBlue
I flew Pobeda a few weeks ago TXL-VKO-OVB and found it absolutely fine, at 172 EUR o/w including one suitcase and XL seating I thought it was a very good deal. As a tall person, I am a bit partial to LCC's because of the possibility to book an extra legroom seat for a small surcharge. Important here is to know the system - cabin bag is size limited (smaller than other carriers), and there is no food/drinks available on board for sale - they only serve tap water. Flight attendants were super friendly on both flights, all was on time and the XL seating not bad (but no recline).

Vnukovo is a good airport, less crowded than DME or SVO (although lines at immigration were quite long). Good food options at VKO as well.Overall, would not hesitate to fly them again.
Old Nov 21, 18, 3:10 pm

So, really, there is nothing whatsoever on a Pobeda flight in the way of food and drinks? That seems beyond the Ultra Low Cost Carrier and I'm not sure I like it. All you need is a little bit of irrops, bad weather or whatever, and that flight will quickly become an endurance test.
Old Nov 22, 18, 7:15 am

Programs: FB Gold
I'm planning a skiing holiday to Georgia and almost bit the bullet for the first time as Pobeda had fares around 8k RUB compared to 21k for SU on the MOW-TBS route. As it turns out, this was very misleading; the flights included a stopover in either ROV or RVI (sure, whatever) but more importantly, the cheapest fares displayed on the website didn't actually get you to TBS but to Gyumri (LWN) in Armenia, a 4-hour drive away from TBS!

If you actually want to get to TBS, fares are closer to 16k RUB. So yeah, this is not gonna the time that I decide to try Pobeda and I'm going to book a direct return SVO-TBS. Even my girlfriend, who normally couldn't care less about the airline she flies, thought this was a bit ridiculous and it didn't take a lot of convincing to get her to book SU instead.

Last edited by RabbitIYH; Nov 22, 18 at 7:52 am
Old Nov 24, 18, 4:40 pm

I did notice, when I was looking at Pobeda's offering for flights to Samara, that some flights went to obscure airports with weird codes that were quite a few hours drive from Samara along seriously bad roads. It's nice to offer alternatives, but they should make it a lot more clear. You have to keep your eyes open when you're booking with these carriers. Frankly, I'm not very inspired to book with Pobeda - I don't like the feeling of them, and the thought of no catering whatsoever is pretty much a no no. However, if I ever do give them a try, I will report about it here.
Old Jan 12, 19, 12:25 pm

Programs: SU Gold
Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
I did notice, when I was looking at Pobeda's offering for flights to Samara, that some flights went to obscure airports with weird codes that were quite a few hours drive from Samara along seriously bad roads. It's nice to offer alternatives, but they should make it a lot more clear.
Offering alternative airports is perhaps the only good thing with Pobeda.
Pobeda is only worth considering if:
- the ticket is dirt cheap;
- you don't mind being treated like a prisoner;
- your carry-on bag is either very small or cubical.
Old Jan 12, 19, 3:12 pm

In otherwords, no go. Not interested in an airline like that. In Russia, it's S7 and SU for me. Just annoying that SU doesn't allow Platinum Flying Blue passengers into the lounges on domestic flights.

Search this Thread