Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Russia-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Aeroflot threatened US Citizen to deported back to India

Old Mar 30, 18, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward

Unacceptable! That's not nice to say something to him. You cannot be discrimination against him.

Russian Airline Threatened to Deport Americans ?Back to India? Because of Their Skin Color

Good riddance to Aeroflot!!!
Old Mar 30, 18, 11:51 pm

Not a good way to run a business and certainly not a good endorsement for an airline. If anything it shows massive incompetence. (Aeroflop's already admitted to bad service standards and offered an apology)
Old Mar 31, 18, 10:35 am

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I saw on a bus in Switzerland today a newsflash about an Aeroflot plane being impounded in London or something. So there's something going on at the moment, but I'm not sure what and I guess it's not related in any way. Possibly something to do with the current diplomatic spat.
Old Mar 31, 18, 11:35 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, EK Blue
Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
I saw on a bus in Switzerland today a newsflash about an Aeroflot plane being impounded in London or something. So there's something going on at the moment, but I'm not sure what and I guess it's not related in any way. Possibly something to do with the current diplomatic spat.
A bit OT to the original post but for clarity according to the BBC, the aircraft wasn’t impounded. After landing and all passengers had disembarked, UK Border Force agents boarded the plane and conducted a search, which according to the captain of the aircraft, lasted three minutes.

Spy poisoning: UK plays down Russia complaint at plane search - BBC News

S
Old Apr 1, 18, 4:45 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
Have no reason to fly aeroflot or even to Russia considering onerous visa requirements and reports of blatant racism across the country.
Old Apr 2, 18, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by ashkale View Post
Have no reason to fly aeroflot or even to Russia considering onerous visa requirements and reports of blatant racism across the country.
Hows that diffetent from good ol' usa then where you cant transit without visa at all and shootings of minorities by cops seem to happen weekly.. but this is omni territory..
Old Apr 4, 18, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by ashkale View Post
onerous visa requirements and reports of blatant racism across the country.
That's about US, right?
The pot calling the kettle black.
Old Apr 4, 18, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by oruvin View Post
That's about US, right?
The pot calling the kettle black.
LOL I must say I always found Russian immigration officers to be much nicer than their US counterparts.
Old Apr 4, 18, 12:35 pm

Programs: SU GOLD, BA GOLD , SQ PPS. RIP: UA 1999-2015 EY Partners 2006-2017, LH SEN 2006-2018
Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
LOL I must say I always found Russian immigration officers to be much nicer than their US counterparts.
Thats often because some of then ( not all) don't really speak English. Communication issues.
Old Apr 4, 18, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by OpenSky View Post
Thats often because some of then ( not all) don't really speak English. Communication issues.
Agree, but even with those who have good English, I never had anything but a pleasent conversation, unfortunately I can't say the same about the US.
And those of them who doesn't have good English doesn't expect you to speak Russian (perhaps another difference to the US where PAX struggle with immigration officers)
Old Apr 7, 18, 1:02 am

I also felt this could have been the issue, because the staff member is heard saying something like 'I don't know how to say this...' . Maybe he was trying to say 'all passengers on the flight from India', but simply due to language issues said 'all indian passengers'.

However, then I think, if a white passenger was standing in front of him, would he have said 'all indian passengers'. Doubt it.

I actually experienced something similar, not quite as bad. A staff member would hold my passport (from Western Country) but at the same time ask 'where I am from'. It's like their brains go in to overload. What they see in writing (U.S Citizen writing on passport) does not match with the appearance of the person they usually associate with "U.S citizen'. So they just follow first instincts and go with physical appearance.

BTW: here's a fun game for anyone to try: Color mix-up - Optical Illusions and Eye Tricks
(You have to name the colour of the writing, not read the word out.)
Old Apr 8, 18, 2:14 am

Programs: RJ Emerald
A typical rubbish story, with staff member's words being taken out of context.

Last edited by Rami Tamimi; Apr 8, 18 at 2:19 am
Old Apr 8, 18, 5:04 am

They don't have a visa to enter Russia, and cannot stay there. Wouldn't a reasonable solution then be to send them back to where they came from?

That doesn't have to be racist, and I cannot read anything into that story that says it was. Russian security isn't nice (I know, I've been kidnapped by them and locked into a hotel by armed guards - that was the last time I ever flew aeroflot) but not everything is a racial issue.
Old Apr 8, 18, 7:26 pm

Programs: SU GOLD, BA GOLD , SQ PPS. RIP: UA 1999-2015 EY Partners 2006-2017, LH SEN 2006-2018
Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi View Post
A typical rubbish story, with staff member's words being taken out of context.
I don't think its rubbish. It did actually happen, at the transfer desk at SVO. There are video recordings of the incident, and a formal complaint to the US Department of Transportation with facts of the event as it happened.

I recognize the staff members working at the transfer desk, because I have dealt with them before and on previous occasions. SU puts the fluent English speakers there, but I can confirm they are not fully informed on SU procedures. I am good with faces and names, the staff member that dealt with them has a first name "M" and its not Murat.

SU just assumed just because they were of Indian decent, they could be sent back to India. The fact is most Indians that take a citizenship of another country have to renounce their citizenship. It would be really funny if the Indians sent them back to Russia because they Indians didn't have a visa to enter India.

I have gotten into disagreements with SU ground staff mainly at overseas stations, the ones in MOW are usually accommodating. However, they are not used to dealing with things that are not plain vanilla or routine, and that usually needs to get escalated to the a Manager.

What they should have done was reaccomodate on Skyteam via some European gateway. This falls into "not used to dealing with things that are not plain vanilla or routine". The pax were asked to take a flight a week later, I personally would have been livid.

Last edited by OpenSky; Apr 8, 18 at 7:33 pm
Old Apr 8, 18, 7:41 pm

Programs: RJ Emerald
I
I don't think its rubbish. It did actually happen, at the transfer desk at SVO. There are video recordings of the incident, and a formal complaint to the US Department of Transportation with facts of the event as it happened.

I recognize the staff members working at the transfer desk, because I have dealt with them before and on previous occasions. SU puts the fluent English speakers there, but I can confirm they are not fully informed on SU procedures. I am good with faces and names, the staff member that dealt with them has a first name "M" and its not Murat.

SU just assumed just because they were of Indian decent, they could be sent back to India. The fact is most Indians that take a citizenship of another country have to renounce their citizenship. It would be really funny if the Indians sent them back to Russia because they Indians didn't have a visa to enter India.

I have gotten into disagreements with SU staff mainly at overseas stations, the ones in MOW are usually accommodating. However, they are not used to dealing with things that are not plain vanilla or routine, and that usually needs to get escalated to the a Manager.
The key word here is "sent back".. to the point of origin (DEL), because there were probably not enough seats on any flights departing to the US in the next 24 hours (which is probably because these seats were already given out to ex SVO pax, who turned up before the ex DEL pax). What do you do in this case? Yes, you could probably protect them via LHR, or similar... but when 5 people want to make a story and keep shouting at the agent, I don't think he is motivated to "dealing with things that are not plain vanilla or routine, and that usually needs to get escalated to the a Manager" as you said.

I am not a big fan of SU, but I am on their side in this case.

Search this Thread