Wiki Posts
Search

Aeroflot vs Delta mileage

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2018, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus, British Airways Executive Club
Aeroflot vs Delta mileage

I didn't choose a plan wisely when I first took a SkyTeam flight, and have about 2.7 k of miles in Delta SkyMiles.

I'm based in Hong Kong, and among all SkyTeam members I will likely to take Aeroflot the most, for the sole reason it is much cheaper than all other competitors to Europe (I just bought round-trip ticket to Helsinki for less than 6k HKD in Easter when economy in direct Finnair flight has already been sold out!), and for some possible itineraries (e.g. from Hong Kong to Russia then open jaw leaving from EU) Aeroflot is the only choice.

1. Do Aeroflot miles expire in two years without flight activity?

2. If I am sure that I can take a SkyTeam flight every two years, is it better of using the native program of Aeroflot instead of Delta Skymiles because most of my flights in SkyTeam will be on Aeroflot transferring at SVO to Europe (for example, the Easter flight I mentioned are classes N and Q which offers 75% miles in Aeroflot but only 25% in Delta)? Which programme has better value?
Old Mar 20, 2018, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by miklcct
I didn't choose a plan wisely when I first took a SkyTeam flight, and have about 2.7 k of miles in Delta SkyMiles.

I'm based in Hong Kong, and among all SkyTeam members I will likely to take Aeroflot the most, for the sole reason it is much cheaper than all other competitors to Europe (I just bought round-trip ticket to Helsinki for less than 6k HKD in Easter when economy in direct Finnair flight has already been sold out!), and for some possible itineraries (e.g. from Hong Kong to Russia then open jaw leaving from EU) Aeroflot is the only choice.

1. Do Aeroflot miles expire in two years without flight activity?

2. If I am sure that I can take a SkyTeam flight every two years, is it better of using the native program of Aeroflot instead of Delta Skymiles because most of my flights in SkyTeam will be on Aeroflot transferring at SVO to Europe (for example, the Easter flight I mentioned are classes N and Q which offers 75% miles in Aeroflot but only 25% in Delta)? Which programme has better value?
Aeroflot miles do expire. But they may devalue even more rapidly. Earn at your own peril. They also black out certain dates, like holidays, so you can't redeem them 365 days per year.

You are better off earning SU miles with SU vs. trying to use other SkyTeam FFPs to redeem on SU flights. SU and DL aren't playing nice in this regard, and I am sure it won't get any better with other alliance "partners". Another thing to keep in mind is that landing fees at Moscow airports have gotten very expensive (in part to pay for the new terminal at SVO). While long-haul J is still worth the redemption, on SH flights, the taxes you'll pay on a redemption can be 50% of what the actual fare would have been, if you paid in $$. I flew from Berlin to SVO using SU miles last year and while the flight would've cost me $140, I ended up paying $80+ in taxes for it (+ the miles).
Old Mar 21, 2018, 12:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus, British Airways Executive Club
Originally Posted by gosha83
Aeroflot miles do expire. But they may devalue even more rapidly. Earn at your own peril. They also black out certain dates, like holidays, so you can't redeem them 365 days per year.

You are better off earning SU miles with SU vs. trying to use other SkyTeam FFPs to redeem on SU flights. SU and DL aren't playing nice in this regard, and I am sure it won't get any better with other alliance "partners". Another thing to keep in mind is that landing fees at Moscow airports have gotten very expensive (in part to pay for the new terminal at SVO). While long-haul J is still worth the redemption, on SH flights, the taxes you'll pay on a redemption can be 50% of what the actual fare would have been, if you paid in $$. I flew from Berlin to SVO using SU miles last year and while the flight would've cost me $140, I ended up paying $80+ in taxes for it (+ the miles).
You have mentioned that it black out certain days like holidays, does it also applies on redeeming partner's flight by SU points? If I can't find a good value redemption on SU, I may try redeeming CZ or CI flights instead. Does long-haul Y redemption on SU from SE Asia a good value?
Old Apr 22, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by miklcct
You have mentioned that it black out certain days like holidays, does it also applies on redeeming partner's flight by SU points? If I can't find a good value redemption on SU, I may try redeeming CZ or CI flights instead. Does long-haul Y redemption on SU from SE Asia a good value?
Those partner redemptions are not specific to SU but rather on the partners who are releasing their award inventory to Skyteam partners. I believe Saudia has (or had at least) a good tool to reference ST-wide inventory.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus - Gold, Marco Polo - Silver
If you fly aeroflot, earn and burn as quickly as you can via Aeroflot bonus.
Earn rates are fantastic for flexible tickets.
Burn by upgrading or flights to small indonesian islands by Garuda.
SU dont seem to have blackout dates - been upgrading for christmas and easter for years. Just need to book before everyone else.
Haven't really seen a devaluation in years as per chart but soft devas are frequent (can only upgrade Flex tickets but the upgrades isn't refundable...).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.