Azerbaijan visa conundrum

Old Feb 3, 18, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Azerbaijan visa conundrum

I bought a one way ticket from Dubai to Baku via Moscow on Aeroflot because it was cheaper than just Dubai-Moscow, which is where I want to go. I know it is not a "good" thing to do but I am going to only fly until Moscow and cancel the Moscow-Baku leg after I arrive Moscow. The stopover in Moscow is over 12 hours, overnight, from evening to the morning, if it matters. Now I do have a Russian visa but I just realized that I do not have Azerbaijan visa which the check-in agent will believe I need, since this is my final destination on the ticket. Would I be refused boarding in Dubai based on that fact? It seems weird to go through the trouble of getting Azerbaijan visa just to be allowed on the Dubai- Moscow flight, is there a way to avoid it as I only want to use the Dubai-Moscow leg?
Old Feb 3, 18, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by flyershar View Post
It seems weird to go through the trouble of getting Azerbaijan visa just to be allowed on the Dubai- Moscow flight, is there a way to avoid it as I only want to use the Dubai-Moscow leg?
I am not sure how much cost or trouble would be involved, but I do know that many people, depending on their country of citizenship, can get electronic visas https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_p...lectronic_visa
some do not require a visa, and others can get a visa upon arrival https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_p...isa_on_arrival
Old Feb 3, 18, 11:36 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk, flyershar. I am moving your thread to the Russia-Based Airlines Forum.
Please follow there.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Feb 3, 18, 3:21 pm

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
It's much easier to get an Azerbaijan Tourist Visa than previously and can be done online. I believe the cost is $20 but you need to check first that you qualify. https://evisa.gov.az/en/.
Visa On Arrival is much more limited so don't count on it.
Old Mar 16, 18, 7:33 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Plat, AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat Prem
Deleted...of course within minutes of posting this, the embassy finally responded confirming the visa.

Last edited by SkyTeam777; Mar 16, 18 at 8:36 am
Old Mar 16, 18, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 View Post
I applied two days ago and still waiting...is it common that it is not automatically considered? I know it says allow up to three business days, but most other agencies do things much faster.
I'd wait until the 3 business days are up. Things happen when they happen in Azerbaijan. FYI 20-26 March are a long public holiday here so don't expect anything to happen during that period.
Old Mar 16, 18, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Plat, AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat Prem
Originally Posted by MichaelBaku View Post
I'd wait until the 3 business days are up. Things happen when they happen in Azerbaijan. FYI 20-26 March are a long public holiday here so don't expect anything to happen during that period.
Does the public holiday mean sights are closed? Are restaurants and bars still open?
Old Mar 16, 18, 11:05 pm

Does the public holiday mean sights are closed? Are restaurants and bars still open?
no. I wouldn't worry about that. Everything will be open except government office and workplaces. It's a big holiday here - celebrating the start of spring so there'll be plenty to do. Bring something warm to wear. It's cold here at the moment. If you need any info, please feel welcome to PM me. Happy to help. One tip, avoid the airport taxis if you can. There's a half-hourly airport express bus into town which costs only 1.30AZN (that's less than $1!). The airport taxis will rip you off unless you're careful.
Old Mar 17, 18, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by MichaelBaku View Post
no. I wouldn't worry about that. Everything will be open except government office and workplaces. It's a big holiday here - celebrating the start of spring so there'll be plenty to do. Bring something warm to wear. It's cold here at the moment. If you need any info, please feel welcome to PM me. Happy to help. One tip, avoid the airport taxis if you can. There's a half-hourly airport express bus into town which costs only 1.30AZN (that's less than $1!). The airport taxis will rip you off unless you're careful.
Great advice! Is that close to Fairmont or JW Marriott on foot? Very excited to visit.
Old Mar 17, 18, 9:21 am

Great advice! Is that close to Fairmont or JW Marriott on foot? Very excited to visit.
The airport bus will drop you at 28 May. The closest to there would be the JW Marriott. It's def walkable, I do the route almost daily but with bags, you'd be better getting a taxi from 28 May. It should be no more than 5AZN for that short ride. Ask for the Absharon Hotel which is how it's known here. The Fairmont sits on the hill going out of town and is less central. You'd need a taxi from 28 May which I would expect to be 7-8AZN.
Old Mar 17, 18, 6:30 pm

Ok, sounds good! I may take Uber from the airport...good to know about Fairmont. I thought that was the premium choice, but perhaps I should just stay at JW Marriott to be closer to the sites.
Old Jul 19, 18, 12:54 pm

Programs: A3*G, TK*G, UIA PremEY Silv, CX Silv, Hyatt Diam, , Skyteam Elite+,HH Diam, SPG Plat100, EK Silv
20USD > 3 days
60 USD > 3 hours

Easy to get and works fine.

Hotels : avoid the Sheraton at the airport. JW / Hilton are great, but prefer the JW.

Search this Thread