What happens to luggage if no S7 interline?

Old Nov 19, 17, 1:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
What happens to luggage if no S7 interline?

Hi, we're thinking of buying a cash ticket on S7 from URC-OVB-DME and a AA miles award from DME back to the USA (most likely BA).

If S7 won't check our bags all the way through at URC (debatable whether they would), our bags would be tagged to DME. How would we collect them without a Russian visa? Could we be SOL?

Last edited by LAX_Esq; Nov 19, 17 at 1:37 am
Old Nov 19, 17, 2:20 am

But you are entering Russia and even flying domestic (OVB-DME). I see nothing in your plan that would be doable without a visa. That being said, a transit visa might be something for you in this case.
Old Nov 19, 17, 2:36 am

Programs: LH SEN, BAEC Bronze, S7 Приоритет, TrueBlue
Originally Posted by Noobflyer59 View Post
But you are entering Russia and even flying domestic (OVB-DME). I see nothing in your plan that would be doable without a visa. That being said, a transit visa might be something for you in this case.
+1. OP will be required to pass Russian immigration in OVB. This makes of where the luggage will be checked to moot (could be that luggage would be checked to OVB only for customs control at Russian port of entry - see http://eng.tolmachevo.ru/passengers/...tion/transfer/)
Old Nov 19, 17, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
Thanks much! I didn't realize that OVB-DME would be different than an int'l-int'l connection at DME (which we've done before).

A Russian transit visa is such a pain; it's full price and almost the same hassle as a regular visa. Wonder if there's other routings out of UMC that don't avoid transiting Russia.
Old Nov 19, 17, 3:21 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by LAX_Esq View Post
Thanks much! I didn't realize that OVB-DME would be different than an int'l-int'l connection at DME (which we've done before).

A Russian transit visa is such a pain; it's full price and almost the same hassle as a regular visa. Wonder if there's other routings out of UMC that don't avoid transiting Russia.
I don't know what your final destination is, but KE via ICN is well connected to URC. It is of course directly opposite to the current suggested direction.
Old Jul 30, 18, 5:46 am

Hi all,

I found the following routing on the way back from Uzbekisting:

TAS-DME with Uzbekistan Air
DME-MXP with S7

I don't know if the travel agency will issue a unique e-ticket. If no, will I need to request a transit visa for Russia in order to get the luggage and re-checkin?
Old Jul 30, 18, 11:54 pm

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
Originally Posted by edwardoleary17 View Post
TAS-DME with Uzbekistan Air
DME-MXP with S7
I don't know if the travel agency will issue a unique e-ticket. If no, will I need to request a transit visa for Russia in order to get the luggage and re-checkin?
That'll depend on whether your flight is on a single PNR. If so, your bags will be checked through to MXP, and you won't be required to clear immigration in DME.
If not, that could become a bit hairy. HY does have an interline agreement with S7, so agents in TAS can check your bags through (they will need your next leg e-ticket number). Whether or not they will / are trained to do so - is a different matter. Once you have your booking information, give a call to HY or better send them a quick email with this question. If they reply positively, print out their response and take it with you to the airport.

Last edited by luitje; Jul 31, 18 at 12:02 am
Old Jul 31, 18, 12:58 am

Programs: SU GOLD, BA GOLD , SQ PPS. RIP: UA 1999-2015 EY Partners 2006-2017, LH SEN 2006-2018
I can confirm that Aeroflot will not interline bags from outside Russia, transiting into SVO, and flying to a destination outside Russia on Aeroflot if you have separate tickets.. In my case it was all on SU ticket stock, SU flight numbers, separate tickets. I was told its because of "Russian Federation Customs regulations". Who knows if they were telling the truth. Essentially you are trying to do the same thing, but on separate airlines.

So if SU won't do it ( same airline) , what there the chances HY will do it?

The answer is no.

Caveat : The check in agent saw that I had a visa to enter Russia, and was perhaps lazy to do it. Or didn't know how. I'm guessing the latter. I was told that if I did not have a visa to enter Russia then they would have an excuse to do the interline. ( in this case same line!)

Search this Thread