Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Russia-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Do I need to carry my check-in baggage through customs when connecting domestically?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do I need to carry my check-in baggage through customs when connecting domestically?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2017, 6:30 am
Original Poster

I will be flying Paris-Moscow-Novosibirsk with Aeroflot. Do I need to carry my check-in baggage through customs in Moscow, just like you have to do when enterring the USA and then connecting domestically?
Old Nov 18, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: MM silver, Flying blue Platinum, A3 gold, Marriott platinum, IHG gold
Yes, this is usual procedure in Moscow
Old Nov 18, 2017, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
When I flew MUC-SVO-KUF, i.e. Munich to Samara with a transfer in Moscow Domodedovo I did not have to collect my baggage and reclaim it like in the USA. I was fully expecting to have to do this and hung around in the baggage hall for a while, asking a couple of people. But they assured me it would turn up in Samara and it did. This was on S7 Airlines.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:56 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles, AF/KL Flying Blue
Originally Posted by Concerto
When I flew MUC-SVO-KUF, i.e. Munich to Samara with a transfer in Moscow Domodedovo I did not have to collect my baggage and reclaim it like in the USA. I was fully expecting to have to do this and hung around in the baggage hall for a while, asking a couple of people. But they assured me it would turn up in Samara and it did. This was on S7 Airlines.
So where did you pass through customs with your suitcase? DME (not SVO, which is Moscow Sheremetyevo) to Samara would be a domestic flight, so did your suitcase effectively bypass customs?!
Old Nov 21, 2017, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Totally right, it was DME to KUF, not SVO ... sorry about that. I don't recall passing any customs with my suitcase whatsoever. I just picked it up in KUF, amazingly efficient there, and off I went. Maybe they just x-rayed it, or had a look inside.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:23 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond AMB
Originally Posted by drvb
I will be flying Paris-Moscow-Novosibirsk with Aeroflot. Do I need to carry my check-in baggage through customs in Moscow, just like you have to do when enterring the USA and then connecting domestically?
You don't if all of the following conditions are met:
1) You depart from an eligible airport (Paris is eligible)
2) Your luggage is checked through to your final destination (shouldn't be a problem, but be sure to verify at check-in)
3) You don't have any items that require filling a customs declaration
Old Feb 26, 2018, 5:45 pm

Recently did a flight SFO - JFK - SVO - LED and only checked the bag in at SFO. Avoided the customs portion at JFK and picked up the checked in bag at LED.

Coming back, LED - SVO - JFK - SFO I had to pick up my bag at JFK and clear customs, then wait for the SU agent to do the transfer to the domestic airlines.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Originally Posted by Mbcan
Yes, this is usual procedure in Moscow
The only exception is LED, VVO and I believe AER ( well maybe not anymore in AER, but true during major events) . There are certain airports where luggage is transferred over automatically ( due to having Russian customs officials on staff during airport opening hours) .

OVB should have that, but nothing surprises me about silly Russian rules that often make no sense..

The airports I know where SU would check luggage through ( without having to pick them up in Moscow) is LED, AER, VVO ( from
personal experience). If you are connecting anywhere else, you will need to pick up your bags from the carousel when you head down the escalator and bring them over to to the recheck area. A 2 minute walk. Then head up the stairs / escalator again for security check before heading to the cramped domestic gate area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.