Short transfer in SVO

Old Apr 30, 2017, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL; MileagePlus; other airlines
Short transfer in SVO

I'm flying alone with three kids on Aeroflot JFK-TLV, with a 90 min connection in SVO. I speak Russian, so communication won't be a problem, but wondering if the 90 min is not enough to transfer - it seems as if their SVO to TLV flight departs from a different terminal. Anything I can do to speed up the transfer? I'm a bit nervous making that connection (my older kids travel a lot, so they won't be a problem, though they are still kids; but the baby in the stroller may delay us).
Old Apr 30, 2017, 9:26 am

Programs: FB Platinum, SAS Gold , HH Diamond
Arrival at Teminal E/F and next flight at Terminal D or the other way around?
90 min connection is more then enough. The terminal change is possible airside with a stroller maybe 15 minutes.
As there is no immigration there may might be only another security check (I don't know about that) but that shouldn't be a problem.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Thanks, FaBSy. I think I arrive into D and leave from F. Hopefully there isn't immigration - we don't have a visa, and they may suspect I have a Russian citizenship (which I don't), which could start questions if we were to pass immigration.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: Delta PLT, IHG Ambassador Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, BWR Diamond
Whenever you make an international connection at SVO you encounter 2 points that might slow you down.
1. Immigration: regardless of your visa situation you will have to stand in the immigration line to present your passport (not stamped or checked for visas, just a glance).
2. An immediate security check when you disembark your first flight and before going to your connecting flight. Most of the time it's quick but sometimes at night a lot of the stands are closed and you will have to find an open stand at a different exit from your gate which may take more time than you think (Once I made a PEK-SXF connection and almost all security stands were closed and I had to walk for 10 minutes to find someone).

Personally I will be comfortable with 90 minutes at SVO as it's plenty of time, the most you will need to walks from two points of the terminal would be around 20-25 minutes.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 1:16 pm

Programs: Delta PLT, IHG Ambassador Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, BWR Diamond
Also, when you disembark your first flight take a look at the departure board as SU sometimes mixes up the gates. it's well worth the extra 1-2 minutes to avoid running to the wrong gate.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, SAS Gold , HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TLVtraveler
Immigration: regardless of your visa situation you will have to stand in the immigration line to present your passport (not stamped or checked for visas, just a glance).
That is correct, but as far as I remember there are different immigration boxes for international transfer then the "normal" immigration. (Never connected internally only on domestic flights). But I must admit sometimes the immigration in terminal D takes a lot of time. In terminal E/F there was never a queue for me, but in D always a lot of people (many chinese).
Old Jul 4, 2017, 12:48 am
Original Poster

Update on short connection

An update here. Due to weather delays in JFK, missed my flight SVO-TLV. My connecting ticket got "lost", took them another hour to "find" it. Finally connected 6 hours later with exhausted kids. Now bags have been missing for 3 days and no attempt to find them by either delta or aeroflot. Oh well, at least I'm with family
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:50 pm
JRF

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
I am flying JFK SVO TLV and back.

Does anyone know if I need a travel visa (US passport) and if I have to change terminals at SVO?
Old Feb 21, 2019, 5:20 am

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus - Gold, Marco Polo - Silver
Originally Posted by JRF
I am flying JFK SVO TLV and back.

Does anyone know if I need a travel visa (US passport) and if I have to change terminals at SVO?
If your layover is below 24 hours, you will not need any visa for Russia, unless you wish to leave the transit area.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.