Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Russia-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Transit in Moscow -- transfer from SVO to DME

Old Jul 15, 16, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diam 2MM, HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat

Looking at a SkyTeam award ticket IST-HAN transiting Moscow. Arrive at SVO, depart from DME.
Miles are the same whether I transfer within SVO or SVO-DME but the fees are about $100 less if I change airports. Of course that could all be consumed by the cost of getting from one airport to the other.
Another consideration is the extra $100 is for SU the whole way, the cheaper ticket is IST-SVO on SU and DME-HAN on VN.
I can also transit through CDG, AMS or various combinations of European cities.
Thanks for any advice.
tom
Old Jul 15, 16, 8:58 am

Programs: RJ Emerald
Uber X is 1700RUB/26USD
AeroXpress is 1000RUB/15USD and involves a short metro ride between the two railway stations,but you purchase a single ticket for the whole journey.

Both are pretty painless in my opinion,so in my opinion it all depends on your airline preference.
Old Jul 15, 16, 9:57 am

Programs: US CP; AA LTG; HH Dia; SPG Plat; Marriott Gold
Is there a significant difference in transfer time, and are there later flights out of DME in case you misconnect? I'd probably pay the extra not to have to leave the airport.

Of course, the whole discussion assumes you have a visa or don't need one. Transit visas are the same cost as the tourist ones, so you'll end up paying a decent amount for a visa depending on your passport, and likely well in excess of the $100 savings.
Old Jul 15, 16, 6:44 pm

Programs: Status...expired
Look, you can do it, I'm just saying it isn't worth the hassle, not for $100. Which is probably more like $75 after factoring in transfer. UberX can be a pain depending on traffic, and the AeroExpress/Metro isn't that tough, but will involve some walking during the transfers. Nothing terrible, but again. Not sure if it's worth it. Seamless SVO transfer would be my choice.

And that's all assuming you already have the visa.
Old Jul 16, 16, 8:58 am

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Traffic around Moscow can become pretty dense at any random time of day. Especially heading out to DME. Unless you have quite a bit of time I would hesitate to take the car option. And I would personally not want to change airport in Moscow if there is an alternative.
Old Jul 17, 16, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diam 2MM, HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly View Post
Look, you can do it, I'm just saying it isn't worth the hassle, not for $100. Which is probably more like $75 after factoring in transfer. UberX can be a pain depending on traffic, and the AeroExpress/Metro isn't that tough, but will involve some walking during the transfers. Nothing terrible, but again. Not sure if it's worth it. Seamless SVO transfer would be my choice.

And that's all assuming you already have the visa.
Thanks to all for the suggestions. Lots of options for IST to SGN/HAN using ST miles. And based on lots of comments, I'm leaning to a doing it via CDG rather than Moscow. Still get to fly the new VN 350 (which was a possible incentive for the SVO-DME transfer) flying through CDG.
tom
Old Feb 14, 17, 6:04 am

Programs: A3*G, TK*G, UIA PremEY Silv, CX Silv, Hyatt Diam, , Skyteam Elite+,HH Diam, SPG Plat100, EK Silv
I did it few times with Uber (around 1500 RUB) and 1.45/2 hours trip during the day.
Old Feb 14, 17, 7:35 pm

Programs: FB Gold
I don't know why this post got bumped but let me say this for anyone thinking about transiting through different airports in Moscow: don't do it!

The traffic is almost always insane and DME and SVO are miles away from each other (seriously, I tend to forget how far away from the city DME is). VKO is a slightly better option from SVO but not a desirable one either since it would involve flying FV.

Search this Thread