Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Russia-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

College Student: Aeroflot JFK to SVO (Moscow)

Old Mar 20, 16, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United

My college son (USA student) is departing JFK late August for Moscow (SVO) via Aeroflot and returning mid October (half semester abroad with other students).

The dates are pretty firm (since it is part of a college course).
Should we book directly with Aeroflot or one of the booking agencies (Orbitz etc)? Any advantage of one over the other in terms of Cancellation policies, change the departure dates etc? I'd like to book shortly but am a tad concerned that the professor may change dates etc. What about trip insurance?
Any other advice??
Thx
Old Mar 20, 16, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Look at the college travel (STA) sites to compare prices with what OTA (online travel agency) and the airline itself are asking. You may find a significant discount with a 1 stop vs a nonstop flight. Change fees and rules are determined by the fare bucket you purchase so be sure to check that. OTAs can sometimes add additional fees for changes beyond what the airline charges.
Old Mar 23, 16, 11:16 am

Programs: DL DM (MM), SPG/Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, LH Never Ever Again!
Book from the Aeroflot site I say. They have some cancellation options for tickets bought for travel commencing in the US if you do that are not available as far as I know through third party sites.
Old Mar 23, 16, 11:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Look at the details of the study abroad program carefully. Some encourage/require group bookings through their office so that ground transportation from the airport can be coordinated.

You might want to consider booking with DL rather than SU depending on potential FF program credits and any benefits. DL miles don't expire and I'd rather be able to credit miles to DL than only to SU; many cheap partner booking classes earn few or no DL miles.

There is absolutely NO advantage to using a third party site such as Orbitz or Expedia unless it's MUCH cheapeer, but there are lots of disadvantages.

BTW, are you from the NYC area or will the kid be flying into JFK?

Search this Thread